Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Shabbos supper help please

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 10:12 pm
I've been noticing a pattern of bingeing shabbos late afternoon/evening and I think it's because I'm not eating foods that satisfy me.
Breakfast is regular.
Lunch is salad and protein.
Supper time I get stuck and usually end up again with salad and same protein as the shabbos meal. It's not filling enough and it's not satisfying enough....I feel like I've just eaten salads all day.
An hour or so later I'm hungry again and theres nothing to eat so I end up in the pantry.
During the week supper is a hot filling meal, same in the winter shabbosim, but summer is just really challenging.
We do not hold from heating up food on shabbos. We have a cholent from before shabbos but that's all.
Most weeks I'm fleishig too so it's really challenging to find something to eat for shabbos supper.
Any ideas?

amother
DarkViolet  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 10:21 pm
Why only salad and protein for lunch, that's when you should be having your warm meal on shabbos.

octopus

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 10:23 pm
Wait ..you don't eat cholent on shabbos?

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 10:24 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Why only salad and protein for lunch, that's when you should be having your warm meal on shabbos.

In the summer we don't always have cholent because most of my family doesn't eat it. Even if I eat cholent my meal is still bunch of salads, some fish and some cholent. I am full and satisfied after that meal but supper time, I'm stuck.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 10:31 pm
octopus wrote:
Wait ..you don't eat cholent on shabbos?

A lot of my friends don't serve cholent in the summer. Either way the issue isn't having cholent or not, it's about being super hungry in the evening and having nothing to eat for supper.

teachkids

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 10:34 pm
What about making yourself a salmon or tuna wrap?

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:06 pm
teachkids wrote:
What about making yourself a salmon or tuna wrap?

I don't like wraps but I just ate that for lunch, salmon or tuna and salad. It just doesn't feel filling enough.

amother
  DarkViolet  

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:10 pm
Grilled chicken, quinoa salad with avocado and chickpeas

Egg salad, seed crackers, cut veggies and Tahini

Sliced roast and roasted veggies at room temperature

funkyfrummom

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 8:15 am
Our family makes shakshuka or personal pizzas on pita (in toaster oven) for meleva malka, year-round.

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 8:44 am
Summer seuda shelishit I make pasta and Tuna salad. It really filling and no heating up needed.
Make pasta before Shabbos and open and drain tuna cans if you don't open on Shabbos.
On Shabbos I mix the tuna with mayonnaise and some of my garlic dressings but you can just add garlic powder. Add pasta, cut up pickles and tinned corn ( my kids don't like corn so we do without.

We eat an early seuda shelishit that the kids can go to sleep regular time.
You can also do sliced or deviled eggs on crackers if you aren't already eating eggs for the main meal.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 8:55 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
Summer seuda shelishit I make pasta and Tuna salad. It really filling and no heating up needed.
Make pasta before Shabbos and open and drain tuna cans if you don't open on Shabbos.
On Shabbos I mix the tuna with mayonnaise and some of my garlic dressings but you can just add garlic powder. Add pasta, cut up pickles and tinned corn ( my kids don't like corn so we do without.

We eat an early seuda shelishit that the kids can go to sleep regular time.
You can also do sliced or deviled eggs on crackers if you aren't already eating eggs for the main meal.

This is an interesting idea. The kids won't eat it but I will. I don't usually eat pasta but maybe once a week is a good idea. Better a plate of pasta than a binge.

essie14

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 9:16 am
I do a big loaded salad for seuda shlishit.
Lettuce, shredded cabbage, whatever vegetables you like.
Make a yummy dressing before shabbat.
Roast slivered almonds before shabbat.
Add protein that you like - hard boiled eggs, tuna, Feta cheese, tofu cubes. Etc.
Whatever other toppings you like - craisins, avocado, etc.
Very filling

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:37 pm
essie14 wrote:
I do a big loaded salad for seuda shlishit.
Lettuce, shredded cabbage, whatever vegetables you like.
Make a yummy dressing before shabbat.
Roast slivered almonds before shabbat.
Add protein that you like - hard boiled eggs, tuna, Feta cheese, tofu cubes. Etc.
Whatever other toppings you like - craisins, avocado, etc.
Very filling

This is my lunch. My point was that eating the same style thing for supper when I already did salads and protein thing for lunch, is not satisfying and triggering strong cravings.
I eat salads and protein most days for lunch but if supper was salad and protein again, I likely would have the same triggers.

amother
  DarkViolet

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 1:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is my lunch. My point was that eating the same style thing for supper when I already did salads and protein thing for lunch, is not satisfying and triggering strong cravings.
I eat salads and protein most days for lunch but if supper was salad and protein again, I likely would have the same triggers.
That's why people asked about cholent for lunch. If you'd have that for lunch and the large salad for supper, it wouldn't feel so boring and repetitive. People do other [warm] proteins for lunch -- soup in a crockpot, pastrami roast in a crockpot, meat board, grilled chicken, shnitzel, chicken burgers, egg salad and chopped liver, salmon with salatim.

amother
Daisy  

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 1:18 pm
If you like soup that's hot but not piping hot, I warm up some for my kids every Shabbos:
Put it in a 9 oz plastic cup. Fill a glass halfway with hot water from the urn. Place cup in the glass. Wait a few minutes, and replace with new hot water. You'd be surprised how nicely hot it gets. Repeat a 3rd time if necessary.

amother
  Daisy

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 1:20 pm
I also have quinoa salad often. I know it's salad, but it's less veggies and and more protein:
Spring mix
Quinoa
Avocado
Chickpeas
Sunflower seeds
Plantain croutons
Roasted sweet potato

Dressing of your choice

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:13 pm
What is shabbos supper? Do you mean Shalosh Seudos?

We eat Fleishigs Shalosh Seudos most week. There are lots of room temperature things to eat. We eat cold cut sandwiches, sesame noodles with chicken, pasta pesto with chicken and white beans, taco salad (with ground beef) etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise