Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Tips for new teacher

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 9:37 am
I’ve been in the Special Ed field for many years, but I’m now transitioning to classroom teaching. Early elementary. I’m very familiar with teaching, but not running a classroom. Looking for any and all tips. TIA!

amother
Banana

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 10:49 am
Classroom management is very different than small group instruction.

See if your school will pay for you to take the 3+3 torah umesorah new teacher course.
I heard it's excellent!

I'd also recommend the following books which you can probably get at a local public library:
Teach Like A Champion (2.0 if you can get)
the first days of school by Wong

Hatzlacha!

mushkamothers  

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 11:03 am
Those two books are really good.

Smartclassroommanagement.com has good articles.

Also follow @evergrowingeducator on Instagram or sign up to get her emails evergrowingeducator.com. She also works with teachers directly to provide coaching through school funding so ask your school if they have a budget for it.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 12:43 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Classroom management is very different than small group instruction.

See if your school will pay for you to take the 3+3 torah umesorah new teacher course.
I heard it's excellent!

I'd also recommend the following books which you can probably get at a local public library:
Teach Like A Champion (2.0 if you can get)
the first days of school by Wong

Hatzlacha!

I’m a special Ed teacher. I also took the 3 plus 3 course in my thirties. Every other person there was 19 straight out of seminary. It was a very uncomfortable experience for me. the girls kept looking at me wondering why I was there.
I also found a lot pertained to a young girl who never stepped foot in any classroom before. While there was definitely some useful
Information taught I don’t think it was worth the discomfort

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 6:40 pm
Thanks for the resources. I’ll look into them.

Would love any other practical tips or recommendations of tried and true methods.

dankbar

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 6:51 pm
I remember the teachers who started out firm were the most successful. The ones who started out wishy was0hy or too soft in beginning, were a disaster

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 6:55 pm
I would ask your school if they can set you up with a more experienced teacher to mentor you, help you learn how to create behavior plans, structure your lessons, etc.
It is also helpful to observe other teachers and get ideas.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 7:13 pm
Routines are so important! Don’t underestimate them! Go through literally every minute and transition during your day and think what do you want the kids to be doing and how should they be doing it. The first week of school I barely teach material, I just teach and practice routines and behaviors (but of course making it fun)
Just an example, my students know there are 5 things they need to have on their desk in the morning right when they come in. This is something we practice over and over until it becomes second nature. It pays off so much in the long run because the kids know what’s expected of them and you’re not wasting a ton of time saying waiting for everyone to have what they need.
Check out responsive classroom for ways to model routines and instructions

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Aug 09 2024, 7:25 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Routines are so important! Don’t underestimate them! Go through literally every minute and transition during your day and think what do you want the kids to be doing and how should they be doing it. The first week of school I barely teach material, I just teach and practice routines and behaviors (but of course making it fun)
Just an example, my students know there are 5 things they need to have on their desk in the morning right when they come in. This is something we practice over and over until it becomes second nature. It pays off so much in the long run because the kids know what’s expected of them and you’re not wasting a ton of time saying waiting for everyone to have what they need.
Check out responsive classroom for ways to model routines and instructions

Love this! Especially since I’ll be teaching young kids.

I just need to figure out what the routines should be…

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 9:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Love this! Especially since I’ll be teaching young kids.

I just need to figure out what the routines should be…

Just read the first days of school. That's what it's about

oohlala

Post Sat, Aug 10 2024, 11:17 pm
Is there anyone at the school who can coach or mentor you? Be sure to ask.

Think through the entire day in your head? How will they line up? Go to the bathroom? Put away hw? Decide your protocol for each thing.

Be very well planned-overplanned. Get to know your curriculum as well as you can so you keep them busy. Make sure you’re prepared with all your sheets and materials. Scrambling for them and causing downtime in the classroom can lead to misbehavior.

Keep transitions tight! These times are vulnerable for misbehavior, so keep everything at a perky pace and be sure to have routine for every transition.

Come up with some rules and decide what will happen if they’re broken. Talk to the admin to find out what to do if a child needs to be removed from class. See if the school has a policy or siren for behavior/ management and learn it.

Good luck!!!

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 12:15 am
Have rules and expectations to explain first day. Be more strict in the beginning and stick to your word. Make it fun and give them responsibilities I.e. different kids each day put the date up, get things from the office etc... Also know when to pick your battles. Sometimes it's worth it to let something go if it isn't really too disruptive.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 1:43 am
I remember some teachers introducing the rules in a fun way.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 2:31 am
Here's some advice and keys to success:
1. LESSON PLANS - always be prepared, actually over prepared. And MOTIVATION is the key to every lesson. When the lesson is interesting and exciting kids listen. And how much less they need the bathroom.
2. Have a reward system in place. Don't make it competitive but some way that kids could earn a reward for working well...
3. Walk into the room the first day and start teaching! I used to prepare a fun lesson for this. They get the message that they will be learning - a lot! Then I would q go through what their routine, supplies..
4. Communicate with parents. Have a system where you either write or call every x amount of days/weeks. This way you keep on top of situations.
5. About rules, make them as few as possible. If you are prepared, exciting, positive, you will be able to control the classroom.
Hatzlocha!!!

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Aug 11 2024, 8:39 am
As a former victim of bullies, please watch it for it. Keep your eyes open on it at all times. Make sure your students aren’t getting hurt. Try to build relationships with them so they can open up to you as a mentor. Like a big sister kind of way, but stricter with a heart. This way they’ll look up to you and not down at you. Make school fun so they want to learn. Have a reward system with them- like trips if they all get a certain amount of great marks, or a no test but a quiz- these are just some ideas- I’m sure you’ll have more. Make projects with them for the Yomim Tovim.
You’re iyh going to do great bc you’re teaching the next generation. You got this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics