Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Nishmat Post College Program

chavalesch  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 1:28 am
Does Nishmat still have the Alisa Flatlow post-college program? The website hasn't been updated since the 2022-23 school year. Does anyone know, or should I contact the school?

tichellady  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:51 am
I believe it closed

amother
Snow  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:59 am
I think I also heard that it closed.

I know someone who teaches there. I'll try to ask her for you.

The summer program that they have been advertising looked very similar to the Alisa Flatow program, so maybe they still have something.

chavalesch  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:16 am
amother Snow wrote:

The summer program that they have been advertising looked very similar to the Alisa Flatow program, so maybe they still have something.

That’s very disappointing if it’s true! Do you know of any similar year-long programs?

Elfrida  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:43 am
Can you tell us more about the person involved?

Is it a baal teshuva, who wants to be able to solidify her frum identity, and spend a year deepening her knowledge? In that case Midreshet Rachel might be the closest hashkafically to Nishmat, though their learning is not the same.

Is it for an older woman, at any age post college, who wants to spend a year involved in high level learning? She could look at Matan's Beit Midrash programmes. They don't have a dorm, and the feeling is not the same as seminary, but the learning is on a very high level. (They also have shiurim in English and Hebrew which don't require preparation and people can attend as they choose.)

chavalesch  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:52 am
Elfrida wrote:
Can you tell us more about the person involved?

Is it a baal teshuva, who wants to be able to solidify her frum identity, and spend a year deepening her knowledge? In that case Midreshet Rachel might be the closest hashkafically to Nishmat, though their learning is not the same.

Is it for an older woman, at any age post college, who wants to spend a year involved in high level learning? She could look at Matan's Beit Midrash programmes. They don't have a dorm, and the feeling is not the same as seminary, but the learning is on a very high level. (They also have shiurim in English and Hebrew which don't require preparation and people can attend as they choose.)

She is Baal teshuva, with one year left of college, and wants to deepen her knowledge with dedicated and serious learning. Midreshet Rachel could possibly work, although she specifically wants to learn Gemara and as far as I know they don’t offer that —just ein yaakov?
Does Matan have dedicated year programs, or just different classes you can sign up for?

Elfrida  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 4:06 am
chavalesch wrote:

Does Matan have dedicated year programs, or just different classes you can sign up for?

Both, but their Beit Midrash programmes are on an advanced level, not at all suitable for a beginner.

She may be interested in looking at their classes, even for the coming year. They are all zoomed and recorded, and she could participate from anywhere in the world. I know other women on this site learn there, and I think we could all speak for the quality of the learning. Even if the time zones don't work out, she can listen to the recordings, and learn a lot. I don't think there is gemara in English, but there's nothing wrong with starting with Tanach!

This is the classes you can sign up for, for the coming year. The first two weeks are free, so she can sample the courses before deciding if she wants to join any.

https://www.matan.org.il/en/pr.....s-en/

Looking through the list, I see there's an option of Daf Yomi, but I wouldn't recommend that for a beginner. She needs to learn how to learn first.

amother
  Snow  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 6:41 am
amother Snow wrote:

Confirming. I heard back from my friend, and it is closed. As a result, she has less hours there than she used to.

chavalesch  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:31 am
Can anyone attest to the learning at midreshet Rachel? Topics, style, daily schedule, etc

Rappel

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:36 am
chavalesch wrote:
She is Baal teshuva, with one year left of college, and wants to deepen her knowledge with dedicated and serious learning. Midreshet Rachel could possibly work, although she specifically wants to learn Gemara and as far as I know they don’t offer that —just ein yaakov?

Go for Midreshet Rachel.

Rabbi Anthony Manning will be heading it this year, and she'll have the best source-based education she could ask for. Gemara included, if she wants.

He puts a lot of emphasis on foundations in Judaism, and that the individual should acquire the tools for future study. The Beit midrash is active and vibrant

tichellady  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:40 am
It’s not the same but she might want to look into pardes

chavalesch

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:49 am
tichellady wrote:
It’s not the same but she might want to look into pardes

You don’t think it’s too left? I know they’re very pluralistic and accept all kinds of people, but is the learning still serious/mainstream?

amother
Darkblue  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 10:52 am
Rappel wrote:
Go for Midreshet Rachel.

Rabbi Anthony Manning will be heading it this year, and she'll have the best source-based education she could ask for. Gemara included, if she wants.

He puts a lot of emphasis on foundations in Judaism, and that the individual should acquire the tools for future study. The Beit midrash is active and vibrant

Is he planning to change the current curriculum, which does not include gemara? (based on their website at least, which may be out of date)

tichellady

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:21 am
chavalesch wrote:
You don’t think it’s too left? I know they’re very pluralistic and accept all kinds of people, but is the learning still serious/mainstream?

Learning is serious. I don’t know if it’s too left for her since I don’t know her. I know a lot of people who learned there and were happy

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:55 am
It's men and women learning together, prayer and religious ritual is optional, and they are officially non-denominational. The only dress code is that shoes are required. I think the learning is serious, but it's not the kind of environment that I would recommend.

Having said that, I've been there a few times for shiurim. I went to hear a specific speaker on a specific subject, and was happy with what I learnt. I didn't hang around for the social aspect.

amother
  Darkblue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 12:08 pm
Men can learn at a million different places. Women have few options for seriously learning gemara inside. Due to the limited options, you will find girls and women sometimes availing themselves of learning options at institutions that are to the left of what they're totally comfortable with. And occasionally to the right of what they're comfortable with. Your friend can consult with a rav as to how to navigate the available options.

amother
  Snow

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 12:15 pm
https://nishmat.net/online-beit-midrash/

Nishmat's on line Beit Midrash, including beginners gemara.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info