Forum -> Children's Health
Post tongue-tie release + exercises experience

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 11:28 pm
Looking for people's experiences post their child's frenotomy, things like:

How old was your child?
Did they sleep okay?
Were they inconsolable at times? How long did the most difficult part seem to go on for?
How was it doing the exercises, for you & for your child?
Was it difficult to know if you were doing them correctly, ie being firm enough & properly opening the wound, especially if your child was crying/tensing up?
If instructed to wake them for the exercise, how did that go?
We're you diligent doing the exercises everyday for several week's?
Are you glad that you went through with it?

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Sep 07 2024, 11:45 pm
I’ve had it done to my baby at 5 weeks. Gave some Tylenol for the first 48 hours although he didn’t seem to be in much pain. The exercises were hard to do since he screamed when I did them but I Would feed right after to calm him down.lasted a few days. Didn’t wake him or do it at night tho. 4-5 times during the day seemed fine.you can sort of tell if you’re doing it right- you see the wound. Glad I did it since he couldn’t latch properly. It did take a few days for baby to relearn how to suck nicely

mandr

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:56 am
Didn’t do any exercises with my first two (traditional cut) because I was never told to, and it was amazing.

Did exercises for my third (laser) because they told me I must or it will surely grow back together yada yada and my baby was so tortured by them that he went on a nursing strike! It was awful. Stopped doing the exercises after that and bh all was well.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 2:42 am
Did laser (tongue and lip).

I was told to do exercises but baby (3.5 weeks) did not want me anywhere near his mouth. Thankfully I was told that I only need to lift his tongue enough to see the diamond shape of the cut. And every time he screamed I could see it so I figured he was exercising himself.

He is almost 2 and seems to be okay.

I wanted to do some craniosacral but couldn't afford it (insurance covered the tie release).

ETA very glad I did it. His tongue was practically glued to the bottom of his mouth. His nursing was so bad he was losing weight and I got my period back (nursed clean with every other kid). It took time for him to relearn nursing but the difference was very significant.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 2:56 am
How old was your child?
12 months

Did they sleep okay?
Yes

Were they inconsolable at times?
No
How long did the most difficult part seem to go on for?
How was it doing the exercises, for you & for your child?
It was fine, dc cried for a few seconds while the exercises were done but calmed down quickly

Was it difficult to know if you were doing them correctly, ie being firm enough & properly opening the wound, especially if your child was crying/tensing up?
No

If instructed to wake them for the exercise, how did that go?
We didn’t have to wake the baby up

Were you diligent doing the exercises everyday for several week's?
Yes

Are you glad that you went through with it?
Yes, extremely glad

mother7!  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:26 am
I did it with 2 kids and usually did the exercises. One of the kids was not so happy when I did the exercises so I probably did not do it as well. I am very happy that I did it. I feel like there's very little chance of something going wrong but many advantages ( speech, feeding, dental benefits). I have not heard of anyone being upset that they did it.....

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:33 am
My daughter had a classic tongue tie, and had it snipped last year at 12.
We did it at little tooth dentistry. It was covered by insurance.
She was told to do certain exercise and did it as per instructions.
She was uncomfortable for 48 hours or so.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 8:48 am
Child was 6m, did craniosacral fascial work before and after the laser snip. Did all exercises diligently. Tongue tie reattached I’d say 50%. It’s very visible. Where’d we go wrong… no idea 🤷🏻‍♀️

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 9:39 am
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/1......html

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:55 am
Thank you to everyone so much for all of the feedback

Did anyone give theur children Boiron Arnica Montana 30C & find it to be helpful for pain relief?

I'm not familiar with homeopathy, & so before looking into kashrus factor, curious if anyone found that this helped their children?

mother7!

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 11:57 am
I have to disagree with the article. I saw sig ificant different after doing the procedure with feeding. I did the tongue tie right away- baby drained me after. I did the lip tie at 10 months and was only bottle feeding then. His ability to drink from a bottle at a normal pace increased so much. Dentist's also feel like it can impact the children's mouth shape.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 12:08 pm
amother Mint wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/18/health/tongue-tie-research-breastfeeding.html

Thank you for posting this - I'd just like to request please that this thread be for mothers anecdotal feedback, & also please not to turn into a debate (lots of things online supporting both sides, as well as threads already on Imamother) thanks!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 11:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you to everyone so much for all of the feedback

Did anyone give theur children Boiron Arnica Montana 30C & find it to be helpful for pain relief?

I'm not familiar with homeopathy, & so before looking into kashrus factor, curious if anyone found that this helped their children?
I used arnica for pain relief for my baby, she was 3 months old. I can't say for sure if it worked or not, but she did not seem to have any significant pain after the procedure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics