Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are there Jews who don't eat Turkey by minhag?
Previous  1  2

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 1:24 am
amother Seashell wrote:
Who

Us.
The bal shem tov ate turkey.

For those that are a little into kashrus, vs buying everything that has a kashrus symbol, turkey is better than today's chicken (not saying it to offend anyone, just clarifying where dh is coming from)

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 2:02 am
We don't
It's my husband minhag. We also don't eat any meat. But my husband will eat from my mother's kitchen or any one else he trusts. It doesn't render you kitchen unkosher. It's a minhag /chumra that we are careful for whatever reason which I wont expand on here .

amother
  Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 2:16 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
Us.
The bal shem tov ate turkey.

For those that are a little into kashrus, vs buying everything that has a kashrus symbol, turkey is better than today's chicken (not saying it to offend anyone, just clarifying where dh is coming from)

Thanks for responding! But actually saying "us" didn't clarify anything LOL
Which circles?

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 5:14 am
Yes. There are a few specific families that don't eat turkey e.g. anyone related to the Shlah HaKodesh

Chayalle

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 8:13 am
I'm descended from the Shlah and our family does eat turkey (and I didn't hear of this minhag in my extended family). So I don't think it's all descendants.

I had neighbors growing up that don't eat Turkey. Not sure where they got the minhag from.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 8:44 am
I have a friend who is extremely sheltered, from a Satmar background, but much more strict. She doesn't eat meat or chicken, only turkey. For some reason her husband believes this is most kosher.

ChossidMom  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 2:21 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Who

The Amshinov Rebbe does not eat chicken at all. Only turkey. Not sure if he eats chicken EGGS even. Many of the chassidim (including my husband) do not.
Because all of the chickens today are cross bred with chickens on which there is NO mesora. There is not one chicken type in the world today that is not cross bred in a lab.
There are major poskim in EY that are of the same mind.
Pretty shocking but true.

motherqueen

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 2:30 pm
im direct deecendant of shlah and we do eat turkey

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 2:38 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
The Amshinov Rebbe does not eat chicken at all. Only turkey. Not sure if he eats chicken EGGS even. Many of the chassidim (including my husband) do not.
Because all of the chickens today are cross bred with chickens on which there is NO mesora. There is not one chicken type in the world today that is not cross bred in a lab.
There are major poskim in EY that are of the same mind.
Pretty shocking but true.

Re the bolded - but the vast majority of chareidim in Israel still eat chicken.
How about the US? Imamother leaves me with the impression that chicken is still a frum staple food for most.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 2:57 pm
I heard it's because there is no mesorah for turkey.

Jews from Europe and israel have been eating chicken for hundreds of years. They never had turkey there so there was no mesorah for it.

I think some Sephardim had a mesorah for it, so the ashkenazim "adopted" this mesorah when there was a mixture of immigrants in Israel, but that's not really how mesorah works so it's an issue.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 3:10 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
I heard it's because there is no mesorah for turkey.

Jews from Europe and israel have been eating chicken for hundreds of years. They never had turkey there so there was no mesorah for it.

I think some Sephardim had a mesorah for it, so the ashkenazim "adopted" this mesorah when there was a mixture of immigrants in Israel, but that's not really how mesorah works so it's an issue.

Chicken was only brought over to Israel by the time of the Second Beit Hamikdash. How do you think they established the mesorah then?

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 4:32 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
Re the bolded - but the vast majority of chareidim in Israel still eat chicken.
How about the US? Imamother leaves me with the impression that chicken is still a frum staple food for most.

Yes. Most if the charedim eat chicken and the badatz gives a hechsher on it.
It is no longer a staple in my house, sadly. We eat alot of meat. Luckily, there is a hechsher that our (litvish) rav says is good, so it works for us. Chicken is just as expensive as the meat we buy, btw. It's just that chicken is so much easier and faster to prepare!

leah233

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 5:41 pm
Rappel wrote:
Chicken was only brought over to Israel by the time of the Second Beit Hamikdash. How do you think they established the mesorah then?

At that point in time they probably knew the identity of all the non-kosher birds listed in the Torah so once chicken or anything wasn't on the list they knew it was kosher. Today when we no longer know what all the birds listed are, we need a mesorah to be sure a new bird isn't one of them

Wolfsbane

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 5:41 pm
Aren't turkeys native to the Americas?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen