Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
How to get a non-internet landline in Lakewood

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 12:29 am
Right now we have a home phone thats dependent on internet. I would like to switch to one that doesn't work over the internet. Can anyone advise me? Thank you!

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 5:41 pm
Verizon?

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 5:49 pm
Depends where you live, it may not be possible anymore. Some newer developments (up to 8 yrs old) are Optimum exclusive. Some older neighborhoods Verizon is switching to FiOS to eventually eliminate non internet lines.

amother
Nectarine

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 6:58 pm
Call Verizon and optimum and see what is available in your area

BusyBoys

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 7:04 pm
Not sure such an option exists..

I had an optimum account created 8 years ago internet free. ( with internet service was more money)
When I moved 4 years ago they transferred my line but I have Wi-Fi. There was no other option. But they didn’t go up in price because of that in my case.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 7:20 pm
I set up my account with internet paid for it for one month - so like this they set you up with a landline.
the next month I called in to downgrade service and stayed with just a landline (they did note that it needs to be connected to the modem but as a courtesy they didnt charge me for it since I told them I dont need the interent.

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 7:40 pm
They don't install old fashioned land lines anymore in most areas if the country. You don't need internet to have a phone. You can pay only for phone, but it still works over internet.

src6

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:37 pm
I have Verizon home phone connect for about $20/mo. It's basically cell service to a home phone. You get a black box that you plug in the wall and your landline phone plugs into the box.
Nice perk is if you go away from home you can bring along your landline if you wish.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:18 pm
If your lines were switched you can’t.
Years ago I had one.
They switched us to Fios. I don’t believe you can go back.
Most new developments only have internet wires and no phone lines (and underground). There is no option.

If you live in an old house that never gave Fios or optimum run you should be ok.

Curious why? For me the biggest negative is that it needs electricity. There is a battery backup. But we have had blackouts long enough that the battery died and the phones went down.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 10:09 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
If your lines were switched you can’t.
Years ago I had one.
They switched us to Fios. I don’t believe you can go back.
Most new developments only have internet wires and no phone lines (and underground). There is no option.

If you live in an old house that never gave Fios or optimum run you should be ok.

Curious why? For me the biggest negative is that it needs electricity. There is a battery backup. But we have had blackouts long enough that the battery died and the phones went down.

Same thing happened to me.

I had a landline and for some reason I thought it would be better to change it to the newer technology,

The next day I realized that I had made a mistake since the old technology didn't rely on electricity and therefore was better in an emergency.

I tried to change - this was one day later - nothing had changed in my wiring. No one had come to my home to do anything. They literally just switched something.

But they wouldn't change it back.

I don't think any companies are even installing the old technology anymore.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 12:57 am
Are you serious?? I'm so disappointed. I wanted it because it can work without power. I thought I could still get it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries