Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Bar mitzvah gift ideas for a non-frum boy
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 10:15 pm
hi! So I need to buy a bar mitzvah gift for a non-religious relative. Here are some details:
The family is Conservative, and he has had a Hebrew school education (Sunday school)
They belong to a conservative shul.
we won't be able to attend the bar mitzvah, partially because of the location....
I want to give a gift from our family that is in the $100 or less range.
not electronics. they are probably better off financially that I am, and anyhow, I don't think that's what I want to impart as what's important from his religious relatives...
would love some sort of sefer that isn't too pushy. Book of our heritage? the bar mitzvah Treasury?

thanks in advance!

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 10:26 pm
Money.

There is absolutely no point in getting anything like a book or equivalent if you actually want to give the boy a gift and not proselytize.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 10:32 pm
Menorah. Kiddush cup. Mezuzah in a nice case.

I like things by Yair Emmanuel by for this type of thing. His style combines modern with classic in a way that honors that it's a spiritual piece while still being modern looking. And the price is Right.

amother
Nutmeg

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 10:52 pm
Definitely a Judaic item over a book. U can get personalized whatever it is and it would be something he will just have for years that "the cousins got him for the bar mitzvah" but it's valuable.. it's will keep a sort of connection whenever he sees or uses it

momX4

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 10:55 pm
Buy a silver becher. You can get one without the tray

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
hi! So I need to buy a bar mitzvah gift for a non-religious relative. Here are some details:
The family is Conservative, and he has had a Hebrew school education (Sunday school)
we won't be able to attend the bar mitzvah, partially because of the location....
not electronics. they are probably better off financially that I am, and anyhow, I don't think that's what I want to impart as what's important from his religious relatives...
would love some sort of sefer that isn't too pushy. Book of our heritage? the bar mitzvah Treasury?

thanks in advance!

Don't get a book. Won't be read or appreciated. I got a silver tzedaka box once when in a similar situation.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 10:57 pm
Ditto on the Kiddush cup. That's what I bought for my non religious nephew and the were really happy with the gift

singleagain

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 11:12 pm
What about a menorahs? All my siblings got a menorah from our not religious relative for our bar/bat mitzvahs

amother
Tangerine  

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 11:24 pm
If you do a book, this is a very impressive presentation:
https://shop.myjli.com/product.....ledge

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 11:26 pm
amother OP wrote:

thanks in advance!

Shofar, I’ve seen some painted ones.

My brother got a shofar from Israel from a family friend at his Chassidish Bar Mitzvah.

CPenzias

Post Sat, Sep 14 2024, 11:41 pm
An umbrella because you know he'll open that 😉
I second or 3rd or 4th the idea of a judaica item as opposed to a book. Maybe something for the chaggim like a shofar or kiddush cup or honey dish

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:23 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Shofar, I’ve seen some painted ones.

My brother got a shofar from Israel from a family friend at his Chassidish Bar Mitzvah.
this, or challah cover

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:59 am
I would give a really nice quality overnight bag

amother
White

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 9:16 am
Any personalized gift or judaica item

Imabubby60  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 2:59 pm
I have given a book or series of Parsha stories in English that were really appreciated, at least by the boy's parents, lol. They were happy to have something to read on Shabbos night at their table.

amother
Seashell  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 4:33 pm
Please buy him something that he will hopefully read and learn from one day, he will get plenty of other gifts from other people.
I would recommend Book of Our Heritage. 60-90 dollars.

https://www.feldheim.com/book-.....mpact

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 4:35 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Please buy him something that he will hopefully read and learn from one day, he will get plenty of other gifts from other people.
I would recommend Book of Our Heritage. 60-90 dollars.

https://www.feldheim.com/book-.....mpact

I was wondering about this. I recall my mom buying it years ago for a non religious relative. do you think it's appropriate? anyone else know this set?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 4:35 pm
Imabubby60 wrote:
I have given a book or series of Parsha stories in English that were really appreciated, at least by the boy's parents, lol. They were happy to have something to read on Shabbos night at their table.

which would you recommend? there are two kids in the family, early teen/preteen

amother
  Seashell

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 4:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was wondering about this. I recall my mom buying it years ago for a non religious relative. do you think it's appropriate? anyone else know this set?

Here's what Amazon says
Customers say
Customers find the book easy to read, well-written, and well-translated. They appreciate the clear explanations of what and why the holidays are. Readers also describe the information quality as wonderful, informative, and detailed.

Definitely appropriate, he may read it now, maybe in a year or two or three, but chance are pretty good he'll read it.

amother
  Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 4:55 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
If you do a book, this is a very impressive presentation:
https://shop.myjli.com/product.....ledge

I suggested this book because it is fun to browse through (lots of pictures, diagrams, easy-to-read short explanations) that give a very good overview of Judaism. It's not a reading book, not as thorough as Book of Our Heritage or similar, but light and interesting enough that a teen might enjoy looking at it occasionally.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics