Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
I'm so tired 12 month old sleep at night

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:41 am
I'm nursing and my 12 month old usually wakes up between 1-2× at night, so not crazy especially when it's only once.
Best case scenario she'll go 8-8 and wake up 2am. Is this normal? But usually she'll sleep less than that... I'm so tired. I don't want to give up nursing and I don't want to do cry it out.
Past 2 nights I've had my husband go in and rock her, rub her, offer water ....nothing helps after about an hour of him doing that and she's still screaming I give in and nursed and she conked out.
Any other tricks my husband can try in middle of the night? Should I just leave it be and nurse her and she'll learn eventually and if yes- when?
😴😴😴😴😴

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:45 am
Can you dream feed her before you turn in for the night and see if she gives you a longer stretch?

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:46 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm nursing and my 12 month old usually wakes up between 1-2× at night, so not crazy especially when it's only once.
Best case scenario she'll go 8-8 and wake up 2am. Is this normal? But usually she'll sleep less than that... I'm so tired. I don't want to give up nursing and I don't want to do cry it out.
Past 2 nights I've had my husband go in and rock her, rub her, offer water ....nothing helps after about an hour of him doing that and she's still screaming I give in and nursed and she conked out.
Any other tricks my husband can try in middle of the night? Should I just leave it be and nurse her and she'll learn eventually and if yes- when?
😴😴😴😴😴

Sounds normal to me. They eventually do learn. When depends on the child.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:48 am
amother Black wrote:
Can you dream feed her before you turn in for the night and see if she gives you a longer stretch?

I feel like I don't want her to get used to that... shouldn't she be able to go the night? She eats full solids and nurses during the day so I don't think it's about nutrition more the habit

OddoneOut1

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:51 am
Is she eating enoug during the day?
At 12 months developmentally babies can last 12 hours, but breaking a habit can be HARD. I would recommend nursing her 3 hours after you put her in (around 11 before you go to sleep) to “trick” her out of waking up, and moving it up to 10:30,10:00… until she loses all interest( she won’t need to nurse an hour after going to sleep and might just sleep through)
That’s what I would do if I wasn’t willing to let her cry.
Hang in there- like everything else baby related it passes!

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:57 am
OddoneOut1 wrote:
Is she eating enoug during the day?
At 12 months developmentally babies can last 12 hours, but breaking a habit can be HARD. I would recommend nursing her 3 hours after you put her in (around 11 before you go to sleep) to “trick” her out of waking up, and moving it up to 10:30,10:00… until she loses all interest( she won’t need to nurse an hour after going to sleep and might just sleep through)
That’s what I would do if I wasn’t willing to let her cry.
Hang in there- like everything else baby related it passes!

That's an interesting idea to move back the feedings.... I'll give it a shot thanks!

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 10:16 am
My baby didn’t start sleeping the night till about18 months. By that time it was habit nit hunger.
She was bottle fed though and I managed to wean her off night feeds by very gradually watering down her milk until it was eventually basically water and at that point she wasn’t interested anymore.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:30 pm
Any other advice?
I can't do the formula watered down because she nurses, although that's genius.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 8:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any other advice?
I can't do the formula watered down because she nurses, although that's genius.

My baby is 6 months and we just sleep trained her using the Ferber method. It’s a gentle cry it out. It’s really really hard but at like 4 months babies don’t need the food overnight it’s just comfort and she really quickly picked up on it and slept through the night soon after. I highly recommend it will change ur life to finally have a full nights sleep uninterrupted and your baby will be just fine I promise. I think the hardest ways are the most reliable and gauraunteed.

eta14

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:01 pm
I had this. I night weaned him. Basically cut down the feeding by a minute each night and on the last 2 nights he cried for a bit. Finally after starting daycare at 13 months he slept a totally full night 12 hours. I feel your pain. My other kids all slept through well before a year.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 9:51 pm
I would still do a 2am feeding.

My 18-19 ?month old baby still wakes up at night to nurse and Im still ok with that/ not ready to give up middle of the night cuddles..

Before you know they will sleep through the night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics