Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
6 hour cheese

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:37 pm
How come restaurants and bagel shops don’t say if a cheese is 6 hours.
I finished eating about an hour ago and I was going to have meat for supper tonight and I called the bagel place to see if the cheese is six hours or not since it didn’t say and lo & behold it is six hours.
Like most people do not know know if a cheese is six hours or not.
If you own a restaurant or know somebody that does and please let them write if a item has six hours cheese in it or not specially people don’t want to order so late in the afternoon for six hours in it.
Now idk what to do about supper.
I’m not waiting until 8:30 to eat meat.

mha3484  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:40 pm
I love buying weird cheese some of which is six hour cheese but other than Parm what would your bagel store be selling that has hard cheese? Usually parm is distinctive. If its melted into say a cheese sauce I dont think you need to wait 6 hours.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:42 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I love buying weird cheese some of which is six hour cheese but other them Parm what would your bagel store be selling that has hard cheese? Usually parm is distinctive. If its melted into say a cheese sauce I dont think you need to wait 6 hours.

So Parmesan, I know its six hours so I know if I want to order something with Parmesan. I’ll order it before 11 o’clock even but this was chedder cheese and I googled it and there’s two types one is six hours and the other is not six hours and I called the bagel place, and they said it was six hours.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:43 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I love buying weird cheese some of which is six hour cheese but other than Parm what would your bagel store be selling that has hard cheese? Usually parm is distinctive. If it’s melted into say a cheese sauce I dont think you need to wait 6 hours.

So it was melted into an egg, but you could still clearly see the cheese and take cheese off the egg because it was put in between the egg.

mha3484  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:43 pm
That's a fancy bagel store because the 6 hour cheese is a lot more expensive and stronger in flavor then say a basic cheese you get in the grocery store.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:44 pm
mha3484 wrote:
That's a fancy bagel store because the 6 hour cheese is a lot more expensive and stronger in flavor then say a basic cheese you get in the grocery store.

The funny thing is the bagel store is not even fancy just one of those regular bagel stores.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 3:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
So it was melted into an egg, but you could still clearly see the cheese and take cheese off the egg because it was put in between the egg.

I would ask your rav. This isn't clear cut. The age of the cheese itself does make a difference, but so soes the form, and this is at least partially melted and might not qualify.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 4:55 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Even most cheddars require waiting. It's not just the weird cheeses that are aged.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 4:57 pm
I dont believe the sliced cheese like haolam or similar is 6 hour cheese. I buy all kinds of cheese guy cheeses and they are clearly labeled when they are aged. The lower quality cheeses are never labeled aged.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 5:21 pm
My relative owns a cheese company that makes both 6 hour and regular cheese. Some local rabbanim have decided that all the cheese from this company is 6 hours, based on what, I don't know. (since we know exactly how this cheese is made, it is definitely not 6 hour cheese) Perhaps this bagel shop is following this overly makpid ruling.

Did you ask specifically what cheese it was?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 5:23 pm
amother Mint wrote:
My relative owns a cheese company that makes both 6 hour and regular cheese. Some local rabbanim have decided that all the cheese from this company is 6 hours, based on what, I don't know. (since we know exactly how this cheese is made, it is definitely not 6 hour cheese) Perhaps this bagel shop is following this overly makpid ruling.

Did you ask specifically what cheese it was?

No, it says in the title that it’s cheddar cheese and I actually never had it before and then I remembered how it might be six hour cheese. I called because I wanted to speak to the manager because he’s frum And will understand my question right away. But ended up speaking to one of the Jewish workers and I asked if it’s six hour and they said yes it’s six hour cheese that specific item.

What if a store hold of certain items have six hour cheese in it why can’t it be written when you order whether it’s online or in store I think the people in charge of the hashgacha should say thag. I was thinking of emailing the kashrus agency.
I think it’s a problem and it can make ppl nichshal.

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 5:30 pm
Wow! I think most of my life I've been oblivious to this, although not big on the milchigs here..
Question, how does this work with shavuos when people will have milk and than meet later? Or is it not applicable because those having that setup go easy on the milchig and not full out buffet?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 5:41 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Wow! I think most of my life I've been oblivious to this, although not big on the milchigs here..
Question, how does this work with shavuos when people will have milk and than meet later? Or is it not applicable because those having that setup go easy on the milchig and not full out buffet?

My family uses only 1 hour cheese so it’s not a problem.
(We anyways have a full milchig meal for one meal)

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 5:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
https://asktherav.com/5441-6-hours-cheeses/

https://oukosher.org/blog/cons.....list/

Your first link says that all cheddar is a 6-hour cheese.

The second link says that mild cheddar is only aged for 2-3 months and therefore is not a 6-hour cheese.

I would assume that regular cheddar is going to be mild cheddar.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 6:04 pm
This is really something one needs to ask their Rav. We're not makpid on most cheeses but I heard Rav Elyashiv was even on cheeses like American which he considered not soft as he felt it was a safek. We hold melted isn't an issue, to what degree of meltedness I'm not sure...

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2024, 6:50 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
Your first link says that all cheddar is a 6-hour cheese.

The second link says that mild cheddar is only aged for 2-3 months and therefore is not a 6-hour cheese.

I would assume that regular cheddar is going to be mild cheddar.

Right. I also wouldn’t know how long it was aged for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen