Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler screeching in agony for an hour after getting shots
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:08 pm
First of all, anti vax people need not answer on this thread. Please just move on.

My 19 month old got shots in her thighs just about an hour ago. Since then, she's been screeching her head off as if she's still getting the shots now. She keeps lifting her right leg and trying to brush away the boo boo.

I spoke to the nurse and she said to put on cold compresses and she'll feel better. She said to call back if she's not better in 24 hours. I told her if the kid is still so hysterical in one hour, they will be hearing from me. And dd is not allowing anything yo touch her thighs including the ice pack.

I gave her motrin. Now I'm wondering if this is normal as the nurse claimed it is, or if I should do something more.

For the reference, she is my 7th kid and I have never seen a kid in this much pain for a full hour after shots.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:14 pm
Is it red or swollen visibly around the injection site? Does she use the leg normally for crawling/standing/walking or does she avoid using it?
If to either of these the answer is "yes", contact them and maybe bring her back in for a brief check up.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:17 pm
It does not seem red or swollen. She hasn't let me put her down at all, so she hasn't tried walking.

She finally cried herself to sleep on my shoulder and I snuck the ice pack on while she's sleeping.

amother
Wheat  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:17 pm
Is she in real pain?
Or is it possible she's still upset that nurse gave her shots?
Did you try distracting her?
Maybe give her a bath?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:20 pm
This was real pain. If she wakes up with no improvement, I plan to take her to an urgent care. or something.

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:32 pm
I’ve had that with some kids they were extra sensitive I had to keep her on Motrin for a few days every 6 -8 hours. For the next vax I’ll have to prepare in advance to help the side effects

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:50 pm
My baby screeched for an hour. Then slept for a nice long nap. By the time he woke up he seemed himself again
I hope your baby wakes up happy and well

Goldengoose

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:52 pm
could be from the "trauma" of getting the shot. it can be really overwhelming for some kids. could be she keeps reliving that moment. poor kid.
refua shelaima

lostmyoldSN

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 12:54 pm
Some of the shots are legit painful afterwards.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:01 pm
Does not seem normal.
Maybe give motrin and go to ER so they don’t dismiss it as nothing.
I hope she feels better soon

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:29 pm
She is a very sensitive kid. The first time she got shots, she did scream pretty much the rest of the day. But since then, she has had shots without reacting this badly.

She is usually a very light sleeper who wakes up at the slightest sound or touch. She is still sleeping now, and she did not budge when I moved her hands. So I got nervous and picked her up. She moved then and went back to sleeping on my shoulder. I put her back in the crib and she didn't seem to notice. That is very unusual for her.

Now I'm worried she's sleeping too deeply. How do I know if she's okay without actually waking her up?

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
She is a very sensitive kid. The first time she got shots, she did scream pretty much the rest of the day. But since then, she has had shots without reacting this badly.

She is usually a very light sleeper who wakes up at the slightest sound or touch. She is still sleeping now, and she did not budge when I moved her hands. So I got nervous and picked her up. She moved then and went back to sleeping on my shoulder. I put her back in the crib and she didn't seem to notice. That is very unusual for her.

Now I'm worried she's sleeping too deeply. How do I know if she's okay without actually waking her up?

yes...this does seem concerning...but you don't want to hear from a former vaxer, do you?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:40 pm
If it's behavior that would concern you with an ordinary illness, it should concern you after vaccination too

amother
Ballota  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:40 pm
She might just be very exhausted from the screaming. Call the doctor now to voice your concerns & keep an eye on her in the meantime.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:52 pm
Okay. I made some noise in there as I rushed in to check on her again and she opened her eyes for a second and turned her head before going back to sleep. It seems like she tired herself out with all the crying, so she's just taking a good nap.

amother
  Ballota

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 1:59 pm
Keep checking on her every couple of minutes.

amother
Ultramarine  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 2:05 pm
My 2 month old was inconsolable for a few hours after her shots yesterday also. This is far from my first kid and I never had any react like this. I gave her Tylenol and it helped eventually. It was so sad to see…I’m probably going to only give her one shot at a time from now on.

amother
Bottlebrush  

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 2:08 pm
I gave my four months old only one shot and she was literally miserable for a full 5 days. Not sure how to proceed going forward

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 2:12 pm
Another problem is that a lot of shots these days inoculate for more than one thing. So even when you think you are giving only one shot you may be giving 2 or 3.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 2:21 pm
She's up and nursing, BH!

I opted to give her 2 shots instead of the 4 they recommended. I don't think I should have split them up more. I think she would have been miserable each time even if it was just one. Today she got the pneumoccocal (I just made up a wonderful new way to spell that) and the DTaP. I don't know which one is bothering her so much, but hopefully she'll be over it soon.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics