Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
54” beds downsizing question
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:39 pm
amother Violet wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned 44" beds! You can use them with 48" headboards since these are easier to find. Whatever size you get make sure to get platform beds so there are no additional inches for the frame.

Yes I was also surprised no one mentioned there's something in between 39 and 48. But only the Jewish stores make those.

ra_mom  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi,
We have 54” beds bh and like them, have them for 10 years k”h.

Thing is we may switch rooms with our kids due to space, our room is bigger and they need more space.

To do that we need to either get 48” beds which would b really tight, or 39” beds. Has anyone ever done that or would we be miserable?

For reference we r tall like 5’8 and 6’2..k”h

Anyone ever switched rooms w their kids due to space? Looking for all tips and experience

Whatever you downsize to, make sure the headboards don't get in the way of pushing the beds together. (Sometimes they're too heavy to push together with a headboard, or there are columns at the end of the headboards that force a space when beds are pushed together.)
If it's easy to push the beds together, the transition won't be as hard.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 7:25 pm
We went from 54 inch beds to 39 inch (temporarily)

We hate every second of it.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:00 pm
How wide is the kids' room that you will be moving to?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oy we don’t have a private bathroom either place, like not in master or kids room lol. But that is a good trade off.

I’m wondering if we could do 1 39 and 1 48 or if that wouldn’t feel right.

Why can't you do 1 54 and 1 39?
Its still more space than 2×48.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:54 am
I'm very happy with 44 beds
Even when I replaced the beds and had the space to upgrade, I didn't. I find them plenty spacious. I can co sleep with a baby easily as well

amother
Mauve  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 4:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Oy we don’t have a private bathroom either place, like not in master or kids room lol. But that is a good trade off.

I’m wondering if we could do 1 39 and 1 48 or if that wouldn’t feel right.

We have a queen and a twin. It works well because our door is off center

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:08 am
we switched from fulls to twin extra long (same width as twin but longer so when pushed together it is the size of a king mattress)
we love it
Like previous poster said, re the headboards-make sure you can push them together
we got these and they are great
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....;th=1
good luck!

amother
Pewter  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:16 am
I know everyone is commenting about the headboards, but maybe skip the headboards- whatever size you go with, just get frames or a platform/boxspring thing. it will make the room look a little more spacious.
I personally would not want to downsize.
I actually have friends with 54 that want queen, they and their husband are tall.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:20 am
amother Amber wrote:
Why can't you do 1 54 and 1 39?
Its still more space than 2×48.

You realize that 54 and 39 is 93 inches and 48 x 2 is 96 inches?

There's nothing to gain by having non-symmetrical beds.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 11:50 am
Downsizing is always hard, and this is exactly why we got ourselves standard 39-inch beds from the get-go. Shlomo HaMelech himself said that when you're in love you can sleep together on the edge of a sword, and when you're not, a bed 60 cubits wide isn't wide enough.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 12:25 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
They dont sell those here in US at least I havent been able to find

I don't know where you can buy them, but they're called ziplink beds. It's common enough for hotels as they can switching between having a twin room or a king sized bed, depending on the customer.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 2:01 pm
amother Pear wrote:
I don't know where you can buy them, but they're called ziplink beds. It's common enough for hotels as they can switching between having a twin room or a king sized bed, depending on the customer.

You can find them at UK hotels but not in the US. They are not available in then US at all.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 1:37 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
we switched from fulls to twin extra long (same width as twin but longer so when pushed together it is the size of a king mattress)
we love it
Like previous poster said, re the headboards-make sure you can push them together
we got these and they are great
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....;th=1
good luck!

Thank you so much! I looked at your link they r so pretty! What kind of frame do you have that this attaches to?

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:26 pm
amother Pear wrote:

You’re right, I googled it and for some reason it’s a uk thing, not in the us. But what a neat idea, I wonder if that’s what the other poster mentioned they have in Israel

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:27 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
Downsizing is always hard, and this is exactly why we got ourselves standard 39-inch beds from the get-go. Shlomo HaMelech himself said that when you're in love you can sleep together on the edge of a sword, and when you're not, a bed 60 cubits wide isn't wide enough.

Nice! I kind of wish we had stated off w smaller, I think I didn’t really know better/was naive lol

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:27 pm
amother White wrote:
I'm very happy with 44 beds
Even when I replaced the beds and had the space to upgrade, I didn't. I find them plenty spacious. I can co sleep with a baby easily as well

Thanks!

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:29 pm
amother Viola wrote:
How wide is the kids' room that you will be moving to?

It’s 8’ by 10’ but the door swings in so one wall is short kind of. Like there are two 10’ walls and 1 8’ wall at the back.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:30 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
We went from 54 inch beds to 39 inch (temporarily)

We hate every second of it.

What do you mean temporarily, like did you put your 54” beds in storage? Cuz obviously we have to weigh Al’s the purchase of new beds and how much that would cost and if we can sell our current beds. I’d want good mattresses too.

Do you hate it cuz u don’t push the beds together?

I have to admit I’ve never pushed our 54” beds together so that would be a new thing to adjust too

amother
  Lemon  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 4:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
It’s 8’ by 10’ but the door swings in so one wall is short kind of. Like there are two 10’ walls and 1 8’ wall at the back.

Would it help to change the hinges on the door so it swings out?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics