Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Do you really think Hashem wants us to wear lacetops?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 11:50 am
I didn't read all the responses so it could be this was said already.

The premise of the question does not make sense. With regards to things like this there is no "us". Hashem wants different things from different types of Jews and within those even from different individuals. So, no, Hashem does not want a sephardi woman who only covers with a mitpachat to wear a lace top. Those who wear shaitels should decide according to their daas Torah and community whether it's right for them.

PinkFridge  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:10 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
Hashem would want us to listen to the Gedolim.
Reb. Tzippora Gottleib teaches that "Moshiach will come when we are ready to listen"

Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz, head of semichah at YU and very well regarded, has a shiur on this on YU Torah. Obviously, don't rabbi shop.
I should mention that he has a strong kesher with Rabbi Yisrael Reisman of Torah Vodaath.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:17 pm
Without reading the entire thread,

No I don’t think it’s really covering by something not obviously covering your hair.
I wear hats, tichels and a reg Sheitel

But I don’t judge others whatever you wear is your business I look at my own tznius instead of what people choose to wear

and do a cheshbon hanefesh when I start thinking thoughts about judging someone else.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:23 pm
There was a time even the literal chief rabbanit didn't cover outside of shul. How far we have gone.

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:24 pm
If you're so concerned with what Hashem wants, you should also be concerned with whether He wants you to post this during the 3 weeks.

sushilover

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:28 pm
Ruchel wrote:
There was a time even the literal chief rabbanit didn't cover outside of shul. How far we have gone.

This only started with reform and Haskala. Before Haskala, it was unheard of for a frum woman to uncover her hair.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:29 pm
The op asked a question and then vanished. Lovely. 🙄

amother
  Babypink  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:32 pm
sushilover wrote:
This only started with reform and Haskala. Before Haskala, it was unheard of for a frum woman to uncover her hair.

The Gemara mentions sheitels.

amother
  Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:33 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Maybe she wants to read a lot or all of the replies before she answers.

amother
Cornsilk  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:42 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

She might be here replying under her screen name so it should look like another person agrees with op.

amother
Oatmeal  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 1:42 pm
Isn't it sad that as a group of hair covering women, we still have all these questions? I wish all the answers were more clear to us! I am married 6 years, and it's the hardest mitzvah for me ever. Why has no one explained the whole mitzvah to us in a way that makes us happy to do it or at least understand it so that we don't have all these questions all the time. Valid question btw OP, I just wish that after all these years of women covering their hair, we weren't so in the dark about the whole mitzvah. End of rant.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:01 pm
I don't think Hashem wants us to wear wigs at all, regardless of type.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:04 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Interesting. Maybe she's at work or otherwise occupied offline.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:27 pm
I don't wear a lace top because I have chosen not to. I can afford it, but have decided for myself that I don't want one.
But that gives me no right to speak about those who want to. Just like I mustn't comment on how they decorate their houses, how they dress or what car they drive.
None of my business.
I suggest OP busys herself with anything to take her mind off other people.

Brit in Israel  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:42 pm
I'm not understanding the question and the argument.
The Halacha is that hair of a married or once married women is Erva -considered nakedness.
That's the Halacha.
Each Rav and community has said the way for their community to cover the hair if you are part of that community then it is the correct way.

Some Rabonim say lace is ok, and every women in that community who wears a lace wig is covering appropriately.
Many chassidish Rabonim have said to double cover or just a specific scarf/hat. Those women are covering appropriately.
Rav ovadia (correct me if it was a different Rav) said his community shouldn't wear a wig at all but rather a scarf and can show a cm or 2 of hair from the forehead. These women are covering correctly just as correctly as the double covered chassidim are as that is what their Rav said.
Rav Machpud says the sefardim that follow him shouldn't do as above but should wear a wig. It doesn't mean Rav ovadias followers are wrong. They are a different community!
And there are many other communities that Rabonim have said how they should cover hair.

And if a women struggles to cover her hair I'm sure Hashem will be rejoicing to have her cover her hair with which ever type she is comfortable with, regardless of length, width, colour, skin top, fabric or hair type, even if it's not what her community wears. And I think I could even say she will get more sachar than the women who is happily wearing the head covering her community all wear without a thought each day.

Please don't bash others way of life and Judaism. Just be the best jew you can be regardless of which wig your neighbour wears.
If you don't struggle with covering your hair be grateful for that and thank Hashem each day!

BTW I personally don't wear a lace wig so this post was not an attack at me but an attack on all the amazing women who do the best we can and that is personal!

amother
  RosePink

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 2:50 pm
This is getting ridiculous. Ask your rav and follow his advice. We are not responsible for everyone's choices. I also question the basis for specifically married women covering their hair because historically all women covered their hair. Not fully necessarily but some kind of covering. Look at paintings from earlier periods. But since my circles believes in covering, I do it. I usually wear tichels. I dont really care what others wear.

amother
Hawthorn  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:10 pm
Does Hashem want you to wear a gown to your brother's wedding?

Does Hashem want you to have professionally done makeup for your sister in laws wedding?

You realize not all parts of klal yisrael do or dont do these things.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:11 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Isn't it sad that as a group of hair covering women, we still have all these questions? I wish all the answers were more clear to us! I am married 6 years, and it's the hardest mitzvah for me ever. Why has no one explained the whole mitzvah to us in a way that makes us happy to do it or at least understand it so that we don't have all these questions all the time. Valid question btw OP, I just wish that after all these years of women covering their hair, we weren't so in the dark about the whole mitzvah. End of rant.

So why not learn about the halacha? A few years ago this mitzvah was really bothering me, many different elements about it. I took the bull by the horn and started learning about it, with sources and everything. Do I still have questions? Yes, but I am able to understand so much more and now know what to really ask about if and when I want to delve even deeper.

Cressel

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:35 pm
This podcast episode by Halacha Headlines covers the topic well:

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-tcuyd-105e320

with Rabbi Yitzchok Berkowitz - Rosh Yeshiva Aish Hatorah – 12:05
with Rabbi Shmuel Felder - Poseik BMG Lakewood – 14:03
with Rabbi Gedaliah Oberlander - Rov, Heichal Menachem, Monsey NY – 17:24
with Hagaon Rav Reuven Feinstein - Rosh Yeshiva Staten Island – 23:48
with Rabbi Daniel Ahron Coren - Rov, Monsey NY – 29:15
with Dini Weinberg - Dinis Wigs – 53:41

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 3:47 pm
I didn’t read the whole thread.

Ask your rov.

A hair covering is a hair covering to me. I don’t personally hold by lace tops but you can’t judge someone by her wig. I mean you could, but THATS definitely not want HaShem wants .
Page 7 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels