Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Refusing to wear glasses
  1  2  3  13  14  15  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 7:27 pm
14 yr old daughter needs glasses very badly. She never told me she can't see in school until this past year. I took her to the dr who brought her back to the waiting area after two minutes and declared her eyesight is so poor it's crazy that she hasn't been wearing glasses till now.
We chose a nice pair, she agreed to it. I paid a few hundred dollars so she would have a nice pair.
Ever since she totally refused to put them on. She doesn't want to change her look. I understand her but she needs to be able to see. Contact lenses are not an option. School is starting again, she needs her glasses. Her stubbornness is so frustrating.

singleagain  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 7:33 pm
Why are contacts not an option?

sequoia  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 7:37 pm
Neither soft nor hard contacts are an option?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 7:39 pm
Is she a "stuck" type in general? Anxious?
If yes, you may need to bribe her.

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 7:41 pm
My ten year old needed glasses and refused to wear them. I was scared to let him cross
Streets. I got him contact lenses and it worked beautifully. Two years later and he still won’t wear glasses but all is good because he wears contacts

amother
Nemesia  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 7:44 pm
I'm sorry you spent a few hundred on the glasses. I try not to spend a lot of money on anything that my kids (and myself!) might change our minds about. You cant really blame her for that. I would ask her if she wants lenses. You can start off one box (my dd wears the ones that last for two weeks) and if she takes care of them properly and wears them, I would get those if you can afford to.
I dont know if your eye doctor offers trial pairs. If so, take advantage of that fact.

amother
Lawngreen  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 7:46 pm
That was me. I refused until I got contacts even though I couldn't make out much that was around me.

My advice: give in. Its that important to her to the extent that she rather walk around not seeing well.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 7:55 pm
I refuse to wear glasses. I only wear lenses

amother
Chicory  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 8:00 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
I refuse to wear glasses. I only wear lenses

Me too

amother
Milk  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 8:25 pm
https://paireyewear.com/eyeglasses/women

Would she try these?

I have them and love them.
She can choose as many toppers as you allow.

If you want to get them ask a moderator to give you my username so I can send you a link for 25% off.

You can also use the code NEWPAIR for $54 instead of $60.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 8:35 pm
Lenses are way too out of my budget. I spent extra on glasses so that she'd have a nice pair to last her.

amother
Caramel  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 8:51 pm
DD doesn't like wearing glasses either.

But I told her to bring them to school in case. Guess what, her teacher seated her further back in the classroom and asking another girl to read off the words from the board got old quickly. She now wears her glasses when she needs them.

My advice - leave her alone. Encourage her to bring them along in case she decides she needs them.

amother
  Milk  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 8:52 pm
amother Milk wrote:
https://paireyewear.com/eyeglasses/women

Would she try these?

I have them and love them.
She can choose as many toppers as you allow.

If you want to get them ask a moderator to give you my username so I can send you a link for 25% off.

You can also use the code NEWPAIR for $54 instead of $60.

You get 30 days free returns. 100% money back.

Chayalle  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 8:55 pm
I'm sorry but 14 year olds don't wear glasses to school. They wear contacts. I'm sorry you wasted money on a pair of glasses.
Contacts are actually (IMVHO) much cheaper to wear than lenses. I have found this to be true with 3 DD's who all wear contacts. It's like you are getting way more for your money. I found that glasses always were breaking and needing replacement/repair...with contacts you get tons of pairs, you can get a discount plan or go with someone who can get them for you cheaper, there are tons of options. You always have a backup. Overall we found we saved money with contacts, and that includes my teen who has a smaller and different eye shape and needed to order a specialty size. Unless she is supersensitive, she can get the monthly contacts and you get like 2 years worth for the price of a pair of glasses.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 8:59 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I'm sorry but 14 year olds don't wear glasses to school. They wear contacts. I'm sorry you wasted money on a pair of glasses.
Contacts are actually (IMVHO) much cheaper to wear than lenses. I have found this to be true with 3 DD's who all wear contacts. It's like you are getting way more for your money. I found that glasses always were breaking and needing replacement/repair...with contacts you get tons of pairs, you can get a discount plan or go with someone who can get them for you cheaper, there are tons of options. You always have a backup. Overall we found we saved money with contacts, and that includes my teen who has a smaller and different eye shape and needed to order a specialty size. Unless she is supersensitive, she can get the monthly contacts and you get like 2 years worth for the price of a pair of glasses.

Maybe in your neighborhood. My daughter's good friends wear glasses every day.

amother
  Lawngreen  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Lenses are way too out of my budget. I spent extra on glasses so that she'd have a nice pair to last her.

Help her figure out a way to get them. Maybe she can babysit or tutor and chip in with you. Many times lenses are less expensive than glasses if you do the comparison.

amother
  Milk  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:08 pm
Chayalle wrote:

My glasses hardly ever need repairs.
More like my last pair needed to be fixed cuz my yummy kiddos bent it out of shape. That’s about it.

Chayalle  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:12 pm
amother Milk wrote:
My glasses hardly ever need repairs.
More like my last pair needed to be fixed cuz my yummy kiddos bent it out of shape. That’s about it.

I got a new pair the last week of December 2023 and it already broke.
I found my girls' glasses were constantly breaking. With contacts, they can take a new pair if something happens, but mostly they wear them for a month, and change every Rosh Chodesh. Works amazingly for them (I can't wear contacts due to astigmatism, but had I started wearing them at a younger age I might have adjusted, which is one reason I start my girls as young as they are ready. I wish I would have gotten contacts at a younger age.)
OP, clearly your daughter is uncomfortable with wearing glasses. And that's normal for a girl her age.

amother
  Milk  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I got a new pair the last week of December 2023 and it already broke.
I found my girls' glasses were constantly breaking. With contacts, they can take a new pair if something happens, but mostly they wear them for a month, and change every Rosh Chodesh. Works amazingly for them (I can't wear contacts due to astigmatism, but had I started wearing them at a younger age I might have adjusted, which is one reason I start my girls as young as they are ready. I wish I would have gotten contacts at a younger age.)
OP, clearly your daughter is uncomfortable with wearing glasses. And that's normal for a girl her age.

I also have astigmatism so can’t wear contacts.
Even tho they do make special contacts but sensory issues as well.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 9:15 pm
I have 7 family members wearing glasses, we hardly ever need to repair.
Lenses are a luxury that I cannot afford anytime soon.
Page 1 of 15   1  2  3  13  14  15  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children