Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O mixed swimming

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:41 am
The topic got me thinking.
I usually set up a blow up pool in our front yard in summertime. It’s in the yard from a building shared by over 10 families. It’s open to the street, in a very very busy frum city.
My kids go in fully dressed, but anyone passing can see them jumping around in the water. (Ages 1-7) There’s a cheder on our block and usually I have to shoo away boys passing by watching the “show”.
Do you think it’s problematic or no?
FTR, I’m not going to stop doing this, it’s hot and with no porch or private yard my kids have nowhere else to do water activities. I just want to hear other’s opinion.

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:47 am
Yes I think its ok but I am no rabbi

tweety1

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:48 am
I honestly think Only someone who has a very similar situation can answer this. Because really, it's the summer, and kids need water activities in one form or another. Nobody can judge you whether it's right or wrong.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 8:49 am
Im more worried about strangers - especially young kids using your pool In an unsafe manner. Pools need a locked fence around them.
Regarding tznius,ask ur LOR.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 9:04 am
I had similar type of situation at one point- so I put those colorful play yard gates (I got them second hand for free) that you connect to each other around the pool area- not just for safety but more as a visual sign, and it wasn't as interesting for the boys
It really helped but won't help if the pool is high. My pool/water things were low down, so some kids still came to see but it was way more effort and most stopped
At that point was renting, no access to backyard, only access was the front small area so we just made do

Genius

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 9:18 am
The problem with mixed swimming in tznius clothes, is that the people in the water are in the same body of water.
As someone mentioned above, it’s a safety issue. There’s also the problem of a static body of water that is a breeding ground for many bugs, which I hope you addressed.

Elfrida  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 10:23 am
I think you have to consider at what age you'll see this as inappropriate. They might be fully dressed, but wet clothes cling to the skin, and are very revealing. Water play is not dignified, and you've mentioned that it is a very public situation. At what age are you going to tell them that they can't play in the pool any more? And how are you going to explain it? Will you be able to provide any compensation as they watch their younger siblings splashing around while they are stuck in tbe heat?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:44 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
Im more worried about strangers - especially young kids using your pool In an unsafe manner. Pools need a locked fence around them.
Regarding tznius,ask ur LOR.

I’m always there to watch them, and the water is less than a foot high. Still, for safety I don’t take my eyes off them for a second.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:44 pm
Genius wrote:
The problem with mixed swimming in tznius clothes, is that the people in the water are in the same body of water.
As someone mentioned above, it’s a safety issue. There’s also the problem of a static body of water that is a breeding ground for many bugs, which I hope you addressed.

We empty the water after each use, and wash out the pool.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:46 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I think you have to consider at what age you'll see this as inappropriate. They might be fully dressed, but wet clothes cling to the skin, and are very revealing. Water play is not dignified, and you've mentioned that it is a very public situation. At what age are you going to tell them that they can't play in the pool any more? And how are you going to explain it? Will you be able to provide any compensation as they watch their younger siblings splashing around while they are stuck in tbe heat?

Very valid points. They are still in preschool but I guess at some point I will have to find an alternative.
Older kids can go to the public pool with friends so I guess that will be their option.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:47 pm
The seven year old is still in preschool?

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 12:56 pm
We often do kiddie pools outside afew neighbors together. Why would their be anything wrong with that?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics