Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Patchwork blintzes - help me fry them - update
Previous  1  2

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 19 2024, 1:58 pm
amother Snow wrote:
My friend swears by her crepe maker. She says they come out perfect each time. I don't make them often enough that I will buy a whole appliance for it but maybe it's worth it for you.
The batter should be runny enough that it will move across the pan when you tilt the pan. It shouldn't matter how heavy the pan is, but it might be easier to tilt if it isn't too heavy.

I love mine! I use it for regular pancakes and French toast too (it's just a round electric griddle) so it's not a total unitasker. It came with a wooden t-shaped batter spreader which I wet and use to spread the batter more evenly in a circle shape.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 5:47 pm
update

I noticed that when I leave the batter just for a few hrs its much runnier and spreads easier.
when I leave it overnight its much thicker and so now I added more liquid after it set overnight as it wouldnt help to add more liquid before - it would set just the same,

should I rather leave it for less hrs or for more till it sets and then add more liquid?

amother
  Jetblack  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 5:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
update

I noticed that when I leave the batter just for a few hrs its much runnier and spreads easier.
when I leave it overnight its much thicker and so now I added more liquid after it set overnight as it wouldnt help to add more liquid before - it would set just the same,

should I rather leave it for less hrs or for more till it sets and then add more liquid?

Why are you letting the batter sit? We whisk it up immediately before making the blintz leaves.

amother
  Steelblue

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 5:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
update

I think I figured out your problem. Don’t make the batter in advance.
Make the batter. Fry the blintzes.
If you have to make the batter in advance I’m sure you refrigerate it it because you have raw eggs in there. Don’t try frying cold batter from the fridge. Let it sit out and get back to room temperature.
Or for best results just fry them right away right after you whip up the batter and avoid the fridge all together.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 6:04 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
I think I figured out your problem. Don’t make the batter in advance.
Make the batter. Fry the blintzes.
If you have to make the batter in advance I’m sure you refrigerate it it because you have raw eggs in there. Don’t try frying cold batter from the fridge. Let it sit out and get back to room temperature.
Or for best results just fry them right away right after you whip up the batter and avoid the fridge all together.

I was advised that leaving it in the fridge to set is the best.

I always bring it back to room temp but its still set so it wont get it runny again,

Elfrida  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:08 am
When you leave it to set, it sets. The flour absorbs the liquid, and produces a much thicker batter, so it won't pour so easily or spread so easily. Adding more liquid afterwards won't alter the way the flour has absorbed the liquid. It will produce a suspension of the swollen flour in a larger volume of liquid.

Why did this person advise you to leave it? I've never heard of doing that for blintzes.

Anyway, try it with a freshly made batter, and see how it goes. I suspect it will pour and spread out much more smoothly.

amother
  Jetblack

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:18 am
amother OP wrote:
I was advised that leaving it in the fridge to set is the best.

I always bring it back to room temp but its still set so it wont get it runny again,

You were advised wrong.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:36 am
I cant remember who advised me (I think my recipe says at least half hr) but if you google

https://food52.com/hotline/357.....repes
https://www.foodrepublic.com/1.....epes/
https://www.crepesmagiques.com.....ored/

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:10 am
OK. These recipes are all talking about crepes, which is not the same as blintzes.

Anyway, run the experiment. Try cooking them with a freshly mixed batter, and see how it compares.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:16 am
Elfrida wrote:
OK. These recipes are all talking about crepes, which is not the same as blintzes.

Anyway, run the experiment. Try cooking them with a freshly mixed batter, and see how it compares.

what is the diff between a crepe and a blintze?

I always thought they were the same.

I tried already not leaving it soo long but I use whole wheat flour and I found it wasnt so well combined, the bran didnt mix in well with the batter.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics