Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Do I need to tip?
1  2  3  4  Next

Do I need to tip the recommended amount?
Yes  
 45%  [ 27 ]
No  
 55%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 60

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:42 am
End of first half is almost here and camp sends out list of "recommended tipping amounts".
It adds up to $200 for 2 kids (6 & 9). I just don't have that kids of money right now (and then again at end of summer). Many of the counsellors are switching so I can't only give them at the end of the summer. My checking account has minimal cash in it now while food, bills and camp "essentials" go on credit card. Do I need to tip at camp? (I feel like I do.) If so, can I get away with giving less?

EDIT: This is day camp. 2 different camps.

amother
Amber  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:48 am
I don't tip counselors. I usually send a chocolate bar with a thank you card.
That said, $200 per half for 2 kids is a ridiculous amount for tips. The camp should be paying the counselors adequately instead of relying on tips. Camp is expensive enough as is.

amother
Banana  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:49 am
Give less that’s better than nothing. My kid is a counselor she’d appreciate anything even $5.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:49 am
Are we talking sleepaway camp?
I'm planning to tip at a lower rate than recommended

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:51 am
I tip, but not the tip they say, and we send a heartfelt note with it. You only do what you can do. Do t let anyone knock you for what you can’t afford. I’ve had that where ppl knocked us, and yes it hurt bc they don’t know our finances and will never know. As a former morah I say a nice note goes way further than a dollar.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:52 am
The problem is the counselors are young and don't understand the hardship tips put on parents. So they get upset if they're not tipped. But if they're not staying then they can't take it out on your kid anyway.
You can send less money or a gift. A little something that's more in your budget.
I definitely remember that not all parents always tipped. No, I don't remember who did or didn't. Just that some didn't. You likely won't be the only one that doesn't

Reality

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:53 am
You should tip something, whatever you can afford, especially if your child is difficult/doesn't behave.

amother
Blonde  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:57 am
The thing is that daycamp or sleep away camp, it's the counselors who are barely being paid yet the ones running around in the hot sun, dancing, singing, taking kids to the bathroom.

Even $5 with a nice note is better than giving nothing because you can't afford the full recommended amount.

notshanarishona  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:00 am
Definitely don’t need to do the recommended amount, the “requested tip” is probably half the amount the counselors are getting paid. Camp directors need to stop being skimpy and pay their staff. I think $15-20 is pretty typical a half

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:03 am
amother Blonde wrote:
The thing is that daycamp or sleep away camp, it's the counselors who are barely being paid yet the ones running around in the hot sun, dancing, singing, taking kids to the bathroom.

Even $5 with a nice note is better than giving nothing because you can't afford the full recommended amount.

Ok but that’s not the parents fault and responsibility. They should not be the ones who have to yo make up the shortfall

notshanarishona  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:05 am
amother Blonde wrote:

If the counselors wouldn’t count on $500 worth of tips and stop agreeing to work for free then their would be change. Someone has to be the kurban and go through a year or two of no tips or it will never change.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:05 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Definitely don’t need to do the recommended amount, the “requested tip” is probably half the amount the counselors are getting paid. Camp directors need to stop being skimpy and pay their staff. I think $15-20 is pretty typical a half

I agree with $15-$20 per counselor is a nice tip. How many people get a cut if the $100 per child?

amother
  Amber  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:07 am
amother Blonde wrote:

This really isn't the parents problem. We pay a fortune for daycamp as is. We shouldn't be expected to pay an additional $200 per child in tips.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:09 am
For day camps they are all getting paid and I tend to give $10 as a tip for assistants or counselors in large day camps.

Sleep away I tend to give a little more only because they don't usually get paid at all.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:10 am
I sent my daughter to a small expensive specialty camp . I felt she needed it this year . The tip sheet came out and has the head counselors (2) plus her counsleors . She’s 10 , no one is taking her to the bathroom. I think it’s ridiculous to need to spend $80 on tips . I think I will only tip the counselors .
Edited to add - already spent $100 on my daughter in sleepaway , and $60 on my 3 yo 3 day camp counselors . Plus need to tip my son’s rebbe/ counselor as well.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Snow  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:11 am
Do you tip?
Delivery boy
Manicurist
Waiters
Why not counselors?
Tip any amount that your overstretched budget allows you, even if it’s only five per counselor.

amother
  Blonde  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:11 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
Ok but that’s not the parents fault and responsibility. They should not be the ones who have to yo make up the shortfall

Except the girls are expecting at least some tips. They possibly were told to.
If it becomes known that they won't get tips, then we shouldn't be surprised that the girls aren't as into their job, going through the motions and doing the bare minimum.

If we as a community want counselors who are creative, energetic and enthusiastic and do more than the bare minimum, then we need to actively advocate for better pay/or tip as much as we can. Not shrug and say "I'm paying, the camp should figure it out"

amother
  Amber

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:13 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Except the girls are expecting at least some tips. They possibly were told to.
If it becomes known that they won't get tips, then we shouldn't be surprised that the girls aren't as into their job, going through the motions and doing the bare minimum.

If we as a community want counselors who are creative, energetic and enthusiastic and do more than the bare minimum, then we need to actively advocate for better pay/or tip as much as we can. Not shrug and say "I'm paying, the camp should figure it out"

Of course we should try to tip something or give a small gift & at least a thank-you card. But, $200 per kid per summer in tips, is a ridiculous amount to expect parents to pay.

amother
Nemesia

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:15 am
I voted before reading the whole post. I give what I can. My daughter's camp is asking for 30 per counselor. I plan to give 20. There are over 20 girls in her bunk. My son's camp asked for 25 for rebbe. Also giving 20. I dont give more than 20. At least my youngest child's camp gives suggestions...a range. I dont splurge on much. I already paid for camp a lot. I would rather they charged more for camp and didn't ask for tips. 140 per half in total. And I have only 4 kids. What about big families?

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:16 am
Really depends what kind of camp. Day camp vs sleep away camp.

For daycamp for little kids you don't have to tip the full amount, you can give less if that's what your budget allows. One year I brough an iced coffee and a pastry for each counselor with a nice note (was a little kid camp and the counselors were 7th/8th graders) and that was very appreciated, I got feedback after.

For sleepaway, I do give the recommended amount. I think that's much more accepted and expected.
Besides, you are far away and they are with your kids all day every day.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps