Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is it embarrassing not to tip??
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 10:54 am
I gave a sprinkles gift card for $5 each זto the 2 high school girls that were my 4 year olds counselors. My high school girls are counselors and they appreciate $5 gift cards or $5 cash or even a klik bar or a muffin or a ice coffee with a note. So for $10 total I made two counselors happy

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 11:05 am
I think the whole thing is unethical- paying counselors way below minimum wage with the hope that tips will make up for it. I do tip $10/ each bc I feel bad for the counselors but I bli neder will not let my girls work for $2/hr or whatever it comes out to.

I do know someone who got a bunch of chocolate bars only as tips, and doesn’t like chocolate….

Also keep in mind gift cards to a specific store usually means mom has to drive kids there, usually with all her other kids and will often end up having to buy all her kids whatever older sibling got.

GLUE

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 11:24 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
I think the whole thing is unethical- paying counselors way below minimum wage with the hope that tips will make up for it. I do tip $10/ each bc I feel bad for the counselors but I bli neder will not let my girls work for $2/hr or whatever it comes out to.

I do know someone who got a bunch of chocolate bars only as tips, and doesn’t like chocolate….

Also keep in mind gift cards to a specific store usually means mom has to drive kids there, usually with all her other kids and will often end up having to buy all her kids whatever older sibling got.

Last year my daughter got a few gift cards for stores on the other side of town.
I was thinking maybe before people buy gift cards for the counselors they should find out what stores the counselors live near.

Then again many people buy gift cards in bulk and just hand them out to everyone the same thing.

amother
  Waterlily

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 11:36 am
amother Mocha wrote:
When you signed up for the camp, you knew what the system was. You didn't do anything to change the system either. Therefore, you are bound by the implicit contract.

This is ridiculous. We're discussing day camp tips here, not tips for sleepaway, which yes, is often included in the camp welcome letter. Day camp never says that upfront and there is no implicit contract.

It's attitudes like these that make the adults in charge think they can keep underpaying the kids they hire.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Sep 04 2024, 10:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
I always tipped and lately I just don't want to.
It's not just the $ amount per counselor, madrich, bus driver, bus teacher, etc. Even if I'm not too generous it still adds up to a few hundred per tipping season. And this is after paying for daycamp.

First half I didn't tip but now I'm feeling uncomfortable.
My dd also yelled at me that she's embarrassed not to tip her counselors.
So I guess I just gotta shell out a few hundred dollars now when I have a ton of expenses right now.

So my question is-is it embarrassing not to tip?
hey I don't know why it is embarrassing not to tip. My daughter worked with 9 babies last summer for $70/ week. She was 12 y old, and there were other 2 girls with her there. They watched 27kids altogether,age 18_24. And one morah oversaw. The morah charge 130 per week (I think). I didn't expect people to tip my daughter, but I also didn't expect her to return to work there. It's too much work for so little $.
I didn't tip rebi in daycamp. We paid $850 for 4 weeks, camp had 900 boys. They really could not pay rabeim and jcs decently so they need my tip? I don't get it, sorry. It's not my achrayus,it's on employer. I pay so much for babysitting, playgroup and tuition, that it's not nice to expect extra tipping. I really think prices of what daycamps and playgroups charge, are more than enough.camps have money to pay their workers,it's on their cheshbon. And yes,when I myself sent my kids to work,I expect they are going to earn $80/week,not rely on tips. My implicit contract for my kid was that she earns what we agreed,not expecting more. And main thing is -my daughter had really hard time with one kid,but once mother gave her gift at the end, my daughter said "now I love the boy". It's said. I was upset my daughter and other counselors discussed whose tip was good and who looked like "they won't tip", it causes so much emotions ( and lashon hara). Buying love with gifts to me sounds like shochad. It's not a reason for a teacher to love a kid more bc parents tip or don't. I think it's terrible that someone wrote how she remembers who didn't tip her last year. A playgroup mora I sent to makes 80k a year,I make 40k. Tipping ruins relationship, set salary eliminates this issue. I work in business,and we charge steady fee for service. Can't imagine we would expect customers to pay us based on their nedivus ha lev. ,
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics