Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Do you put the shape cookie dough back into the fridge?

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 8:14 pm
with dough that uses cut marge/butter,
after shaping either rugelach or cookies do you put it back in the fridge
to firm up again?

BusyBoys

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 9:32 pm
I put it in the freezer for about half hour

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:22 am
BusyBoys wrote:
I put it in the freezer for about half hour

after its already been refrigerated for half hr before shaping, you put back for another half hr?

why?

does it effect the taste/texture?

Brit in Israel

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 7:24 am
It holds the shape better when going from chilled into the hot oven

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 8:44 am
The idea of having fridge space or better yet freezer space for a Cooke sheet is comical to me.
So no. I have never put them back in the fridge.

Amarante  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:21 am
Yes the cookies need to be put back in the refrigerator after rolling and cutting so that you have the nicest shapes.

The reason is that when you have rolled out the dough and cut it out - transferred to the cookie sheet, the dough has warmed up and the fat has become softer.

Therefor when you put the cookies in the oven without refrigerating the dough the fat will melt faster than the "structure" of the flour and other ingredients solidifies and the cookie will spread more.

You can take shortcuts but the result will be less than what it could be.

FWIW, you don't need that much room for a cookie sheet as I balance the cookie sheet on top of other items and it is fairly stable if you move things around.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 9:25 am
amother OP wrote:
with dough that uses cut marge/butter,
1wafter shaping either rugelach or cookies do you put it back in the fridge
to firm up again?

With marg/butter- you can put it back into the fridge if you'd like.
(Oil separates)

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:18 am
Amarante wrote:
Yes the cookies need to be put back in the refrigerator after rolling and cutting so that you have the nicest shapes.

The reason is that when you have rolled out the dough and cut it out - transferred to the cookie sheet, the dough has warmed up and the fat has become softer.

Therefor when you put the cookies in the oven without refrigerating the dough the fat will melt faster than the "structure" of the flour and other ingredients solidifies and the cookie will spread more.

You can take shortcuts but the result will be less than what it could be.

FWIW, you don't need that much room for a cookie sheet as I balance the cookie sheet on top of other items and it is fairly stable if you move things around.

will it affect the flakiness of the cookie if the marge has become soft?

Amarante  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 10:23 am
amother OP wrote:
will it affect the flakiness of the cookie if the marge has become soft?

Cookies aren't generally flaky for the most part - pastry is flaky.

Cookies generally have different characteristics - chewy or crispy are the most commonly desirable textures depending on the cookie.

Rugelach - or good rugelach can be described as having flaky texture but it really is more of a pastry than a cookie.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 1:00 pm
Amarante wrote:
Cookies aren't generally flaky for the most part - pastry is flaky.

Cookies generally have different characteristics - chewy or crispy are the most commonly desirable textures depending on the cookie.

Rugelach - or good rugelach can be described as having flaky texture but it really is more of a pastry than a cookie.

Hi Amarante - waiting for you!

so will it make a diff to rugelach if I bake it cold from fridge or when its come to room temp and rolled
so marge def not cold?

Amarante  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 1:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi Amarante - waiting for you!

so will it make a diff to rugelach if I bake it cold from fridge or when its come to room temp and rolled
so marge def not cold?

I don't think it would make much of a difference because the dough in rugelach doesn't spread.

The issue would be the consistency of the dough part since when you roll it out the fats would get warmed.

You could try it both ways to see if it makes a difference.

Pie crust is a different consistency than rugelach in my experience as good pie crust as that wonderful texture where it is "crisp" and layered rather than soft. Rugelach dough is generally soft when baked rather than crispy, chewy or flaky. My example with rugelach was to differentiate it from rolled or shaped cookies which typically you don't want to spread quickly

FWIW, I have never made rugelach with margarine or oil as I make it with cream cheese and butter. Very Happy

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 2:38 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don't think it would make much of a difference because the dough in rugelach doesn't spread.

The issue would be the consistency of the dough part since when you roll it out the fats would get warmed.

You could try it both ways to see if it makes a difference.

Pie crust is a different consistency than rugelach in my experience as good pie crust as that wonderful texture where it is "crisp" and layered rather than soft. Rugelach dough is generally soft when baked rather than crispy, chewy or flaky. My example with rugelach was to differentiate it from rolled or shaped cookies which typically you don't want to spread quickly

FWIW, I have never made rugelach with margarine or oil as I make it with cream cheese and butter. Very Happy

I am doing one right now with butter Smile

I just thought that cut butter affects the texture - we dont want it melted or softened.
so after leaving to room temperature and rolling am I defeating the purpose of cut butter?

also - where have you seen flaky crispy pie crusts?
the store bought pie crusts are like a soft rugelach dough - not crispy or flaky at all. so are graham crackers,

Amarante  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am doing one right now with butter Smile

I just thought that cut butter affects the texture - we dont want it melted or softened.
so after leaving to room temperature and rolling am I defeating the purpose of cut butter?

also - where have you seen flaky crispy pie crusts?
the store bought pie crusts are like a soft rugelach dough - not crispy or flaky at all. so are graham crackers,

My home made ones or from a from a very good bakery have the delicious flaky crust

In general store bought kosher baked goods are horrible quality - pie crusts are indeed soft like graham cracker crust and not flaky and crisp like a good pie crust should be. I think they are made with oil which is chemically impossible to produce a flaky crust.

High quality pie crust needs to be handled as little as possible so that the fat is not "incorporate" into the flour but remains a separate element. As it melts in the oven it produces the flakiness of a good pie crust.

It is easier to achieve flaky pie crust with shortening rather than butter because shortening has a higher melt point than butter - but it still needs to be handled with a light hand and can only be rolled once.

I think I posted "fool proof" crust in another thread. The vinegar (some substitute vodka) and egg react chemically so that the crust remains flaky even if the dough is abused a bit

Fool Proof Pie Crust
INGREDIENTS

4 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups shortening
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 egg
1/2 cup water

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large bowl, use a pastry blender to combine flour, shortening, sugar and salt; set aside

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, egg and water, mixing well

Slowly add egg mixture into dry ingredients, mix well with a fork until well combined

Separate into 4 equal pieces; wrap each piece in plastic wrap

Refrigerate 15 minutes before rolling - I put in freeze for 30 minutes or if I have frozen I let it thaw but roll while it is still very firm

Bake according to the pie recipe you are using

If a pre-baked crust is needed, simply poke with fork in several areas {along bottom and sides of crust} to prevent crust from bubbling as it bakes

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until slightly browned

Raw dough may be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months

NOTES

Makes enough dough for 2 double crust pies or 4 single crust pies

Some modern recipes now use butter in their pie crust because it tastes better. Here is a recipe for a mixture of butter/shortening "fool proof"

Cook's Illustrated Fool Proof Pie Crust with Butter

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon table salt
2 tablespoons sugar
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces
1/4 cup cold vodka
1/4 cup cold water

Directions

Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses.

Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour).

Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.

Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk.

Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:00 pm
Amarante wrote:
My home made ones or from a from a very good bakery have the delicious flaky crust

In general store bought kosher baked goods are horrible quality - pie crusts are indeed soft like graham cracker crust and not flaky and crisp like a good pie crust should be. I think they are made with oil which is chemically impossible to produce a flaky crust.

High quality pie crust needs to be handled as little as possible so that the fat is not "incorporate" into the flour but remains a separate element. As it melts in the oven it produces the flakiness of a good pie crust.

It is easier to achieve flaky pie crust with shortening rather than butter because shortening has a higher melt point than butter - but it still needs to be handled with a light hand and can only be rolled once.

I think I posted "fool proof" crust in another thread. The vinegar (some substitute vodka) and egg react chemically so that the crust remains flaky even if the dough is abused a bit

Fool Proof Pie Crust
INGREDIENTS

4 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups shortening
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 egg
1/2 cup water

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large bowl, use a pastry blender to combine flour, shortening, sugar and salt; set aside

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, egg and water, mixing well

Slowly add egg mixture into dry ingredients, mix well with a fork until well combined

Separate into 4 equal pieces; wrap each piece in plastic wrap

Refrigerate 15 minutes before rolling - I put in freeze for 30 minutes or if I have frozen I let it thaw but roll while it is still very firm

Bake according to the pie recipe you are using

If a pre-baked crust is needed, simply poke with fork in several areas {along bottom and sides of crust} to prevent crust from bubbling as it bakes

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until slightly browned

Raw dough may be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months

NOTES

Makes enough dough for 2 double crust pies or 4 single crust pies

Some modern recipes now use butter in their pie crust because it tastes better. Here is a recipe for a mixture of butter/shortening "fool proof"

Cook's Illustrated Fool Proof Pie Crust with Butter

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon table salt
2 tablespoons sugar
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces
1/4 cup cold vodka
1/4 cup cold water

Directions

Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses.

Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour).

Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.

Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk.

Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.

thanks for all the recipes.
have to study it.

what does flaky mean to you?
to me it means like a puff pastry

https://kaleforniakravings.com.....ants/
https://www.inspiredtaste.net/.....cipe/
https://www.onesarcasticbaker......stry/

how can a pie crust be flaky/puff pastry?

have I been mixing up the 2?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks for all the recipes.
have to study it.

what does flaky mean to you?
to me it means like a puff pastry

https://kaleforniakravings.com.....ants/
https://www.inspiredtaste.net/.....cipe/
https://www.onesarcasticbaker......stry/

how can a pie crust be flaky/puff pastry?

have I been mixing up the 2?

A croissant is made with puff pastry which is made a specific kind of way where the blocks of butter are wrapped in dough and then there is a series of steps where you roll once - and refold - and then refrigerate. It is very difficult to make at home unless you really like to poshke.

It is much "flakier" in the sense that there are literal flakes coming off it.

A good pie crust is much more solid - it is hard to describe textures but it isn't soggy like the graham cracker crusts you are describing - it is crisp but yielding.

Have you never had really good shortbread or a French fruit tart?

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:25 pm
Made shape cookies today with kids.
Put in fridge after dough was made.
Did not put in fridge after was made into shapes.
They are coming out of the oven now.
Kiddos will not know the difference Smile

Maybe when they are all older and there is more time to allow for baking things we will put them in the fridge after shaping.

ETA: But did not use cut margarine, only softened. Maybe then it doesn't make a dif.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jul 23 2024, 5:30 pm
Amarante wrote:
A croissant is made with puff pastry which is made a specific kind of way where the blocks of butter are wrapped in dough and then there is a series of steps where you roll once - and refold - and then refrigerate. It is very difficult to make at home unless you really like to poshke.

It is much "flakier" in the sense that there are literal flakes coming off it.

A good pie crust is much more solid - it is hard to describe textures but it isn't soggy like the graham cracker crusts you are describing - it is crisp but yielding.

Have you never had really good shortbread or a French fruit tart?

THANK YOU!
for finally clarifying this for me.
I was wondering when I googled flaky pastry and these videos with the steps you
described kept coming up and I was confused...

I havent had fruit tarts in a long while - will have to try it and see.

you have been a major help.
thanks a ton.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics