Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How do you save for aliyah while paying tuition?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 5:11 am
amother Aconite wrote:
On every Aliyah thread people yell at all of us for not making Aliyah. Saying we would come if we really wanted to and make it work.

So what is it do we need financial security (if so many of us are not coming until kids are married), or do we just go and make it work?

There are people who wait for financial security and there are those that just come and wing it.
Each person or each family has to figure out which works for them.

Reality  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 5:17 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
There are people who wait for financial security and there are those that just come and wing it.

It really depends what you are up to in life. A young couple with no kids yet or just young kids can wing it much more easily than a family with more kids that are older all ready.

Reality  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 5:18 am
The important thing is to plan but not get too bogged down in every last detail. It never goes according to plan but it's so important to do your best. People who totally wing it are setting these up for failure.

LovesHashem  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 5:24 am
amother Lavender wrote:
How can you move to Israel without financial security?

Lots of people do. I know people who sold their silver to be able to afford their flights and came here with 0.

I know quite a few families.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 5:27 am
Reality wrote:
It really depends what you are up to in life. A young couple with no kids yet or just young kids can wing it much more easily than a family with more kids that are older all ready.
Im talking about families who have come with nothing. They had family who found them a place to stay and they figured it all out once they got here. Seriously.

Reality  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 5:30 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im talking about families who have come with nothing. They had family who found them a place to stay and they figured it all out once they got here. Seriously.

Kol hakovod to them!

The one family I know who was head in the clouds and literally picked themselves up and moved with zero planning was back in the States after a year.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 5:31 am
Reality wrote:
Kol hakovod to them!

The one family I know who was head in the clouds and literally picked themselves up and moved with zero planning was back in the States after a year.
The only families that I have known that went back had nothing to do with finances. It was other reasons.

Reality  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 5:34 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
The only families that I have known that went back had nothing to do with finances. It was other reasons.

They didn't go back because of finances either. They had schooling issues.

amother
  Aconite  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 6:14 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Ok but on the other threads people get so uptight that we haven’t moved, claiming that we are lazy that we can’t give up our cushy lives, that we don’t love the land, that we have poor excuses.
But sometimes it doesn’t make sense for people to move for various reasons, (one of those is financial)

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 6:21 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Ok but on the other threads people get so uptight that we haven’t moved, claiming that we are lazy that we can’t give up our cushy lives, that we don’t love the land, that we have poor excuses.
But sometimes it doesn’t make sense for people to move for various reasons, (one of those is financial)
This thread is about a specific woman asking a specific question for her specific situation.
Lets not derail this thread with all of that. It will just go in circles and circles and circles.

amother
  Lavender

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:20 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Who cares what people say?
And ftr, it's different with Eretz Yisroel
It's brought down in seforim NOT to move to Eretz Yisroel without a sold financial plan, even if you are not making it in Chutz Laaretz. It's not a parallel thing.

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:23 am
amother Aconite wrote:
So why then on the other threads are we called lazy, and told that people are sick of our excuses?
to comfort themselves

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:28 am
amother Lavender wrote:
It's brought down in seforim NOT to move to Eretz Yisroel without a sold financial plan, even if you are not making it in Chutz Laaretz. It's not a parallel thing.

So interesting because everyone I know who was not making it in the USA was advised to go to Israel and are doing much better now.

amother
Chocolate  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:31 am
If you make Aliya before you go Israel will pay for your tickets. Also the state gives money for living expenses for 6 months and then you can go on unemployment for 1 year I think. If you move to a cheaper place your expenses will be much lower than in the US. Between tuition, Healthcare, cars we save about 150000/year.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:44 am
amother Lavender wrote:
Source please? I would love to look that up.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:46 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
If you make Aliya before you go Israel will pay for your tickets. Also the state gives money for living expenses for 6 months and then you can go on unemployment for 1 year I think. If you move to a cheaper place your expenses will be much lower than in the US. Between tuition, Healthcare, cars we save about 150000/year.
Wait a minute, are you talking about sal klita? That is not going to be enough to live off of. The state is not paying for living expenses.
And I dont see how one can get unemployment, unless they worked previously. And a whole year? I know people who have gotten unemployment, after leaving or being fired from jobs. It is not a whole year at all.

amother
  Chocolate

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:53 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Wait a minute, are you talking about sal klita? That is not going to be enough to live off of. The state is not paying for living expenses.
And I dont see how one can get unemployment, unless they worked previously. And a whole year? I know people who have gotten unemployment, after leaving or being fired from jobs. It is not a whole year at all.

So it depends how many kids you have. We made aliyah with 9 children ka"h and the govt gave us 65000 shekels right off the bat. This got us through the first 6 months, easily. Then we went on unemployment for 5000 a month for about 8 months. At that point we were both working so we went off, but yes we managed to live quite nicely.

amother
  Aconite  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:53 am
amother Currant wrote:
to comfort themselves

What does that mean

amother
  Aconite  

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 10:54 am
amother Lavender wrote:

Which Seforim?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jul 19 2024, 11:41 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
So it depends how many kids you have. We made aliyah with 9 children ka"h and the govt gave us 65000 shekels right off the bat. This got us through the first 6 months, easily. Then we went on unemployment for 5000 a month for about 8 months. At that point we were both working so we went off, but yes we managed to live quite nicely.
Wow, thats a lot of money. I made aliyah 21 years ago. As a single person I was given a few hundred extra shekels a month for a few months. It was considered rest subsidy. I guess times have changed.
Im still not unerstanding about the unemployment though. But I guess thats something new as well.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics