Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o Thinly cut schnitzel people
Previous  1  2

keym

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:39 am
proudmomma wrote:
Shnitzel is mezones

That's if you use pretzel or bread crumbs.

I use cornflake crumbs.
No chance of mezonos

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:45 am
My kids love thick

Amarante  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:46 am
amother Pear wrote:
You can pound a thicker one so it's evener.

Pounding is the way to get the best result.

It makes it more even for cooking as well as tenderizing the meat. It is not so thin that it is essentially just bread crumbs but not so thick so that it isn't a "cutlet".

I love using my meat tenderizing mallet as it relieves any tension - it really only takes a minute or so to do all the cutlets. I pound between two layers of Saran Wrap so no clean up.

Why pay more for inferior item - I think they use a lot of scraps but when I pound my own, I use good boneless breasts.

Also not understanding why someone doesn't want something that tastes like chicken. If you just want crumbs, then eat crumbs. LOL

amother
  Azure  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:58 am
proudmomma wrote:
Shnitzel is mezones

Not necessarily. This is a real ask your lor. It depends if you’re Sephardic, Ashkenazi, and what type of either of those you are. It’s not an imamother advice type of thing, more a rabbi type of question. Learn how to make your schnitzel here. Learn about the bracha elsewhere, or use grain free coating like corn flakes and avoid any issues. Just letting you know, in professional surveys, panko gets better results.

cbsp

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:08 am
amother Azure wrote:
Not necessarily. This is a real ask your lor. It depends if you’re Sephardic, Ashkenazi, and what type of either of those you are. It’s not an imamother advice type of thing, more a rabbi type of question. Learn how to make your schnitzel here. Learn about the bracha elsewhere, or use grain free coating like corn flakes and avoid any issues. Just letting you know, in professional surveys, panko gets better results.

Yup, this. Forgot to add AYLOR to my earlier post.

If the ikkar is a thick chicken cutlet with the Tafel thin crumb coating then that's a different circumstance than if the ratio of crumb to chicken is more equal or even exceeds the chicken.

And that needs to be known when the shaylah is asked...

octopus

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:29 am
Amarante wrote:
Pounding is the way to get the best result.

It makes it more even for cooking as well as tenderizing the meat. It is not so thin that it is essentially just bread crumbs but not so thick so that it isn't a "cutlet".

I love using my meat tenderizing mallet as it relieves any tension - it really only takes a minute or so to do all the cutlets. I pound between two layers of Saran Wrap so no clean up.

Why pay more for inferior item - I think they use a lot of scraps but when I pound my own, I use good boneless breasts.

Also not understanding why someone doesn't want something that tastes like chicken. If you just want crumbs, then eat crumbs. LOL

I agree wholeheartedly with you.

amother
Magnolia  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:31 am
Definitely thick. It’s much juicier. (Dh likes thin and burnt, so… we make variations)

amother
  Magnolia  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:33 am
But really I hardly make shnitzel because it’s so unhealthy it defeats the entire point of eating chicken. I find people make it way too often.

Amarante  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:56 am
amother Magnolia wrote:
But really I hardly make shnitzel because it’s so unhealthy it defeats the entire point of eating chicken. I find people make it way too often.

I think you can make a sautéed chicken breast so that it is healthy but yes - a very thin sliver of chicken coated with a heavy amount of crumbs (sometimes double battered for a better crust) fried in a lot of oil is not a healthy choice - it is essentially boneless friend chicken.

But you can achieve a healthy chicken by cooking in the oven - sautéing with a light crust (not so crunch) or using an Air Fryer for crunch.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:58 am
amother Magnolia wrote:

It's okay to prefer healthier choices, but the purpose of eating chicken is to gain the nutrients that are present in chicken, and for enjoyment. Neither of which is defeated by shnitzel.

Last edited by chanatron1000 on Thu, Jul 18 2024, 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:01 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
It's okay to prefer healthier choices, but the purpose of eating chicken is to gain the nutrients that are present in chicken, and for enjoyment. Neither of which is defeated by shnitzel. It's okay to prefer healthier choices, but

I think it depends on whether you are eating bread crumbs with a sliver of chicken inside or chicken with a thin coating of crumbs. LOL

amother
Brickred  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:12 am
Amarante wrote:
I think it depends on whether you are eating bread crumbs with a sliver of chicken inside or chicken with a thin coating of crumbs. LOL

But even a sliver of chicken has nutrients that just fried breadcrumbs dont have

I make schnitzel often.
I have picky eaters with food allergies.
So it's not a choice between a small amount of chicken vs some other chicken. It's a choice between a small amount of chicken vs none at all.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:34 am
Hate schnitzel. Thinly cut or otherwise.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 12:26 pm
Cooking its just easier to figure out when its ready. When thick its hard to know how the middle is. Eating I love the thick piece better.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 12:35 pm
I will eat thin small pieces faster than I will eat one thick piece

amother
  Magnolia

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 1:46 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
But even a sliver of chicken has nutrients that just fried breadcrumbs dont have

I make schnitzel often.
I have picky eaters with food allergies.
So it's not a choice between a small amount of chicken vs some other chicken. It's a choice between a small amount of chicken vs none at all.

I’m not so sure you’re right.

Never eating chicken, won’t kill you. Eating deep fried often, will.

amother
Pewter  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 1:51 pm
Easier to bread and fry.
Especially I barely have to clean fats.
Easier for mommies if young kinderlach.

amother
  Azure

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 2:05 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:

Know your customers. Never eating any protein won’t do you any good either. If your kids won’t eat eggs, legumes, chopped meat, Greek yogurt, other protein choices, make them schnitzel. You don’t need to deep fry it. I never deep fry. I don’t even fry it.

amother
  Brickred

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 2:15 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:

Who said deep fried?

I pan fry in canola spray.

amother
  Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
Easier to bread and fry.
Especially I barely have to clean fats.
Easier for mommies if young kinderlach.

I rarely fry.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics