Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of camp
1  2  Next

keym  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:38 am
I have boys in Lakewood yeshivish mesivta camps.
$2500 a piece.
Plus transportation
Plus laundry

Its exactly 3 weeks long. They give out a camp tshirt nothing else.
They do 1 big and 1 small trip and 1 singer.
Counselors and staff pay around $1200 to attend.
They learn for the whole morning and a significant night Seder.

I know it's not as expensive but it feels very expensive for what we're getting.

How much does your camp cost?
How long? What do you have to pay extra for?

gdgirl

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:40 am
very similar. our first year doing this. I heard the camp we are sending to has about 800 kids plus? sounds like they are making a killling!

amother
Currant  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:44 am
They are paying for food. Utilities. Upkeep of the grounds. My daughter's camp is also 3 weeks and is double but I don't pay for transportation or laundry and based in their calendar they really entertain the kids. But we got a scholarship or she wouldn't be going. I personally don't believe in sleep away learning camps. If half the day the boys are learning they can do it at home.

keym  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:46 am
gdgirl wrote:
very similar. our first year doing this. I heard the camp we are sending to has about 800 kids plus? sounds like they are making a killling!

Ive sent my boys to 3 or 4 camps and this year, I had applications to 5 different camps (before my boys finalized their plans) and theyre all very very similar for mesivta Lakewood boys. Costs are within $100 of each other.

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:49 am
keym wrote:
$2500 a piece.
Plus transportation
Plus laundry

I know it's not as expensive but it feels very expensive for what we're getting.

Can you please explain this sentence? Why would they have to pay? Do they not get paid?

keym  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:51 am
amother Currant wrote:
They are paying for food. Utilities. Upkeep of the grounds. My daughter's camp is also 3 weeks and is double but I don't pay for transportation or laundry and based in their calendar they really entertain the kids. But we got a scholarship or she wouldn't be going. I personally don't believe in sleep away learning camps. If half the day the boys are learning they can do it at home.

I send for the structure and activities and social life the rest of the day
From 2pm-7:30pm
After 10pm. All night.

I believe it's important and I save for it because I see what boys can and do get up to.

I still think the price is overinflated

keym  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:54 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
Can you please explain this sentence? Why would they have to pay? Do they not get paid?

Standard in both girls and boys camps. Counselors, waiters, specialties, etc. they pay a smaller amount for camp. They get paid in tips.
Married staff, learning Rebbeim get paid.

Chayalle  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 6:57 am
amother Mimosa wrote:

I think staff needs clarification. Generally speaking, single staff like counselors, waiters, activity specialties, etc...in both boys and girls camps do not get paid. They pay a reduced fee.
Married staff gets paid.

My DD's camp is $3400 for 4 weeks, not including tips, canteen, and luggage which are an additional $150 each. I'm so excited that this is her last year as a camper BEH. Next year I get to pay a much-reduced fee and she can be staff (like counselor, waterfront, specialty, etc...)

I think we need to realize that camp is a for-profit business run by people as an extra. I know that in the previous camp DD attended, the person who runs the camp does not have any other year-round job other than running the camp....her family lives off of what she makes. She works like crazy in the weeks leading up to and including camp, and is off the rest of the year.

amother
Cerise  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:24 am
I think what is particularly egregious is when going to camp is a requirement for mesivta boys and parents still have to pay those prices. If the mesivta makes it a requirement to go to their camp (which is a continuation of their yeshiva but relocated to camp grounds), they have to figure out a way to make it affordable for parents.

amother
NeonGreen  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:30 am
amother Cerise wrote:
I think what is particularly egregious is when going to camp is a requirement for mesivta boys and parents still have to pay those prices. If the mesivta makes it a requirement to go to their camp (which is a continuation of their yeshiva but relocated to camp grounds), they have to figure out a way to make it affordable for parents.

Agreed 100%. Mandatory camp that is $2,500 for 3 weeks, especially with the schedule and amount of campers that OP described, sounds absolutely outrageous.

mha3484  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:45 am
I am sending my son for the first time. Camp is 3100. The welcome email said nothing about tips/trips but you do have to pay for canteen. I am not paying the full 3100 more like 2300.

I think its totally worth it. My son and I and DH chose it because its not sports sports and more sports so providing a good variety of activities costs money. Its also a small camp so he wont be just a number.

amother
  NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:45 am
mha3484 wrote:
I am sending my son for the first time. Camp is 3100. The welcome email said nothing about tips/trips but you do have to pay for canteen. I am not paying the full 3100 more like 2300.

I think its totally worth it. My son and I and DH chose it because its not sports sports and more sports so providing a good variety of activities costs money. Its also a small camp so he wont be just a number.

How Many weeks?

mha3484  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:50 am
Four. He has school scamp the first 3 weeks. So leave 2.5 is until school starts.

keym  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:53 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Agreed 100%. Mandatory camp that is $2,500 for 3 weeks, especially with the schedule and amount of campers that OP described, sounds absolutely outrageous.

For the record my boys Yeshivos don't make camp mandatory.
They strongly recommend it.
They make it mandatory to learn with chavrusos every day and to be in a good environment and stay out of trouble.

Arranging chavrusos, a social group and keeping teenage boys out of trouble in an unstructured environment is very challenging so we do camp.
I am happy that they enjoy.
They benefit a lot.

I just feel like it's kinda expensive for what we're getting

amother
Red  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 7:56 am
keym wrote:
$2500 a piece.
Plus transportation
Plus laundry

Omg. I was just coming here to post about this and I found your post.
My son decided last minute he wants to go to this 3 week camp. It costs 2375.
Why??
This sounds like it's just taking advantage.
(I am not planning to pay for it )

keym  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 8:01 am
amother Red wrote:
Omg. I was just coming here to post about this and I found your post.
My son decided last minute he wants to go to this 3 week camp. It costs 2375.
Why??
This sounds like it's just taking advantage.
(I am not planning to pay for it )

Its not 1 camp. I can think of 5 or 6 off the top of my head that are the same- 3 weeks and between $2375 and $2500 plus transportation, tips, canteen.

amother
  Red

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 9:44 am
keym wrote:
Its not 1 camp. I can think of 5 or 6 off the top of my head that are the same- 3 weeks and between $2375 and $2500 plus transportation, tips, canteen.

Thing is- my son will not go swimming. He will not play sports. And I doubt he is interested in trips.
It doesn't seem to make sense to pay for just food and a bed, and a place to learn, when he can have that at home. I feel bad, but I haven't finished paying tuition. For Yeshiva and school yet.

simcha12plus

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:55 am
why do counselors pay to go to camp?
is this for boys and girls?
have you ever been a counselor in overnight camp? it is extremely hard work. I can’t imagine paying for my child to work.
I understand waiters/waitresses that get a partial program paying some amount, but not girls/boys who are working so hard

keym

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 12:17 pm
happy7 wrote:
why do counselors pay to go to camp?
is this for boys and girls?
have you ever been a counselor in overnight camp? it is extremely hard work. I can’t imagine paying for my child to work.
I understand waiters/waitresses that get a partial program paying some amount, but not girls/boys who are working so hard

I will say at least for the counselors in my boys learning camps, it's a less intense job. Because the Rebbeim are teaching 1st seder and night Seder, the counselors are off doing their own thing, having their own shiurim, chavrusos, from 10-2 and then from 7:30-10 every day.

But yes, I don't like it at all, but it is typical

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 12:54 pm
We had similar and it was mandatory plus transportation and then they started throwing in another mandatory $80 for laundry.... Ridiculous.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics