Wow. What a summer. Sad

amother
  Cantaloupe  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 3:49 pm
For anyone in Lakewood. https://thelakewoodscoop.com/n.....ions/

watergirl  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 3:55 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:

What? They can accommodate 450 people and that only includes CITs and TCs? How big is this camp??? I have never heard of this camp but I’m so invested in this story. Wow.

ra_mom  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:05 pm
I'm so broken for these girls. And the worry that these moms are going through. It really has made no sense from the beginning. Some of my daughter's classmates are there.

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:08 pm
What are CITs?

ra_mom  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:14 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
What are CITs?

Counselors-in-training (usually the oldest grade, it's only a name, they're not actually training to be counselors. And then sometimes there's a separate teen camp for the grade older than that called TC).

amother
  Oldlace  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:14 pm
The worst part is how girls are being gaslit now.
My sil’s friends were explaining how it was like the hunger games. There was SOME food but not enough for many girls who were not in the right place at the right time, and nothing for girls who couldn’t push themselves into the lines. Girls WERE starving. Many.
Some girls got assigned beds in rooms with AC and managed to have a fun sleepover that night. But MANY were sitting in sweltering hallways with nowhere to go at midnight and beyond.
Now , people are saying what is the big deal, there was totally food and AC. Well maybe some kids did but many did not.

amother
Hosta  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:28 pm
Correct me if I’m wrong.
I didn’t read the entire thread. But to my understanding the camp said they’ll open a week late. And instead they bussed girls to a hotel and they dont have enough room for the the campers and counselors?

Why can’t they refund the parents for the days/weeks missed ?
Why can’t they just open for second month?
Yes I know the girls will have nothing to do first month but idk?

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:39 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong.
I didn’t read the entire thread. But to my understanding the camp said they’ll open a week late. And instead they bussed girls to a hotel and they dont have enough room for the the campers and counselors?

Why can’t they refund the parents for the days/weeks missed ?
Why can’t they just open for second month?
Yes I know the girls will have nothing to do first month but idk?

It’s all explained in the thread 😉

amother
  Hosta  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:39 pm
amother Melon wrote:

Ty

amother
  Hosta  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:55 pm
amother Melon wrote:

Ridiculous. Litteraly no words. I just finished reading the entire thread.

amother
Currant  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:57 pm
I thought it was such an organized camp?

amother
Seagreen  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 5:07 pm
As someone whose parents were overwhelmed and therefore often neglectful about things like this, I just want to say.... please make sure your kid is coming home. How does anyone feel safe letting their kid go be a CIT or any of those things with a group that already failed the girls this badly? I'm sorry if the remaining staff is super reliable and don't deserve to have doubt cast on them, but it's not them, it's the actual program. We don't take risks with our children like this.

amother
  Seagreen  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 5:22 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
I don't think anyone has to feel guilty for not picking up their daughter. When I spoke to mine this morning (more like afternoon lol) she was having a great time, like it was one big adventure. They had plenty of food, late wake up etc. I know if she had called me crying my heart would have broken and I may have wanted to go pick her up so I don't blame anyone who did, but I think a wait and see approach is fine too. They're in good hands of people who are working really really hard with a really tough situation. Only now it seems it got tougher becuase they have to be out of the resort by tomorrow so I'm not sure what will be. Davening for the sake of all the girls and staff and heads that everything works out asap. Maamin bnisim!

It was actually your post that triggered my last post. Some teens can also think it's a fun adventure to be wandering around with friends and sleeping bags and camping out in a local park. It doesn't mean we'd let them do it. This program was already too risky with the welfare of children. How could you trust them one second longer to be responsible for giving your child food and shelter? We don't leave our kids with organizations that have proven neglectful and say "maaminim bnisim". This isn't okay.

The kids notice that other parents are showing up to grab their own children. It's one thing if a parent simply isn't driving distance and can't fly there within a few hours to get their kid. It's quite another if a parent is just taking a hands-off approach to wait and see what will happen.

amother
  Slategray  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 5:25 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
As someone whose parents were overwhelmed and therefore often neglectful about things like this, I just want to say.... please make sure your kid is coming home. How does anyone feel safe letting their kid go be a CIT or any of those things with a group that already failed the girls this badly? I'm sorry if the remaining staff is super reliable and don't deserve to have doubt cast on them, but it's not them, it's the actual program. We don't take risks with our children like this.

This is not a new camp. For years this was an amazing, reliable, organized, caring camp. I'm definitely mad that this happened. My daughters have nothing to do all summer now. But if their age was staying I would definitely allow them to stay.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 5:35 pm
I am a mother of 2 girls in camp who is standing on campgrounds right now and has been on the grounds last night and today
%5 yellers/screamers who are daughters of yellers and screamers
%5 happy girls who have nutty parents
%90 super happy up to the challenge girls who bawling now that they have to go home
the girls had breakfast lunch and supper
#dont believe everything you hear

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 5:36 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
This is not a new camp. For years this was an amazing, reliable, organized, caring camp. I'm definitely mad that this happened. My daughters have nothing to do all summer now. But if their age was staying I would definitely allow them to stay.

I agree

amother
  DarkPurple  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 5:36 pm
My friend's daughter wants to stay. She said she's having a blast with her friends.
It's horrible they went through this, but definitely a lesson in flexibility.

ra_mom  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 5:37 pm
How many years ago did this camp open up? 10?

amother
Sage  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 5:37 pm
Are girls going into 9th grade in the category that is staying or going home?
Page 8 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 7  8  9 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics