Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Challah in bread machine

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 2:54 pm
Anyone have a recipe and instructions?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 3:02 pm
I just mix and rise. But then shape and bake in my oven.

It’s a 2.5 lb machine.
I got the base of this recipe years ago on this website. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....47972

6.5 cups flour.
1/2 cup sugar
1 T salt
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
2 cup water
1.5 T yeast

Mix and ride in machine. Remove. Shape. I do 3-4 very small challah. Rise 1 hr. Paint. Bake

Comptroller

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 3:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone have a recipe and instructions?

the idea of a bread machine is that you put in the ingredients and that the machine produces a baked loaf of bread at a time you choose.

But it will not produce a baked loaf of challa, because you need to braid it... so that kind of defeats the purpose of the bread machine.

goodmorning

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 3:33 pm
Comptroller wrote:
the idea of a bread machine is that you put in the ingredients and that the machine produces a baked loaf of bread at a time you choose.

But it will not produce a baked loaf of challa, because you need to braid it... so that kind of defeats the purpose of the bread machine.

Most bread machines have a dough setting so that you can put ingredients into the machine and come back to a well-kneaded, risen dough that needed no supervision and with almost no mess.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 4:14 pm
I gave my parents a Bread Machine and he literally became obsessed with making challah in it - he would just use it to knead the dough.

I even had business cards made up for him as a joke because he was making it just to be able to give to people.

Biscotti he would also make and carry a bag around to offer to people. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 13 2024, 11:19 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I just mix and rise. But then shape and bake in my oven.

It’s a 2.5 lb machine.
I got the base of this recipe years ago on this website. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....47972

6.5 cups flour.
1/2 cup sugar
1 T salt
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
2 cup water
1.5 T yeast

Mix and ride in machine. Remove. Shape. I do 3-4 very small challah. Rise 1 hr. Paint. Bake

Thank you so much!! This was amazing!

dragoneye126

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 9:53 am
Hi, what bread machine do you recommend? Thanks!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:09 am
I have had more than one bread machine in the course of my marriage....usually an Oster.
I use my bread machine for everything - in place of a mixer - in addition to making bread in it. It's lightweight and easy to lift and it makes fantastically smooth dough. Pizza dough, rugalach, babka, challah dough, etc....you just dump in the ingredients and it takes care of the kneading, punching, rising, etc...and then you remove and assemble/bake.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:12 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ss_tl

Wow they have jumped in price since last I bought one.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:16 am
Chayalle wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ss_tl

Wow they have jumped in price since last I bought one.

I think its Prime day tomorrow so maybe wait.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 10:26 am
Chayalle wrote:
I have had more than one bread machine in the course of my marriage....usually an Oster.
I use my bread machine for everything - in place of a mixer - in addition to making bread in it. It's lightweight and easy to lift and it makes fantastically smooth dough. Pizza dough, rugalach, babka, challah dough, etc....you just dump in the ingredients and it takes care of the kneading, punching, rising, etc...and then you remove and assemble/bake.

Can you share your recipes and instructions?

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:05 am
Here’s my recipe that can bake directly in the bread machine. I have a 3 lb west bend.
It’s a sweet dough.

2.5 tsp dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
3/4 cups sugar
(Leave this in machine for a few minutes for yeast to proof)
Add
4.5 cups flour
2 eggs
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 cups oil

I am able to set my machine to stop right before it bakes so sometimes I egg and seed the top of the challah right before it bakes.
It will get very high.
Depending on your machine and how you like it, you might want to put it on the bake mode for an extra few minutes to get well done.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:11 am
amother Honey wrote:
Here’s my recipe that can bake directly in the bread machine. I have a 3 lb west bend.
It’s a sweet dough.

2.5 tsp dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
3/4 cups sugar
(Leave this in machine for a few minutes for yeast to proof)
Add
4.5 cups sugar
2 eggs
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 cups oil

I am able to set my machine to stop right before it bakes so sometimes I egg and seed the top of the challah right before it bakes.
It will get very high.
Depending on your machine and how you like it, you might want to put it on the bake mode for an extra few minutes to get well done.

I think you meant to write "flour". Smile

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:14 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
I think you meant to write "flour". Smile

Omg … of course!
I corrected
That’s what happens when you have an 11 year old boy (who decided he’s not going to camp) talking to you while you’re typing a recipe!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note