Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Does he have a right to charge me?

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:53 am
I hired a frum handyman to do work around the house. One of the things he was meant to do was to hang a handheld shower head on my shower wall. I paid him to go to the store, buy it and install. A few weeks later it fell off the wall so I asked him to come back and put it on properly (it seems it was hung with just a sticky back or suction, not screwed in). He came and screwed it in and then sent me a bill for it. I was quite surprised that he’s charging me to fix something that obviously wasn’t installed correctly. Am I right or he gets to charge me?

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:57 am
I would not be pleased with that. If it really only was a couple of weeks, I would call him and work something out. Maybe you can agree to compromise on 50%, maybe he'll agree to waive it.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:59 am
amother Teal wrote:
I would not be pleased with that. If it really only was a couple of weeks, I would call him and work something out. Maybe you can agree to compromise on 50%, maybe he'll agree to waive it.
I don’t even think it made it two weeks.

amother
Mimosa  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:03 am
He should not be charging you. Do you have any proof that it wasn't put in correctly the first time?

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:04 am
Doesn't seem normal that he charged you. I recently used a fridge tech and called him the next week because the problem seemed to have come back, he came back at no charge. When I thanked him for coming back, he pretty much said - that is the most important thing in this business. To stand by your work. Not something we charge for.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:04 am
Personally, I would tell him that, probably end up pay him begrudgingly, and never hire him again. I would also not recommend him.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:05 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
He should not be charging you. Do you have any proof that it wasn't put in correctly the first time?
proof is that it fell off…

amother
Jade  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:07 am
No he messed up he should be coming back to fix it for free.

amother
  Jade  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:08 am
I had a custom big job done. They messed up a few things. They came a few times each time forgetting to bring some marital so it took a few trips to fix their mistakes. They didn’t even ask for money for any of it.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:43 am
Did you pay actually have it screwed in the first time?

amother
  Jade

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:44 am
amother Peony wrote:
Did you pay actually have it screwed in the first time?

That’s how it’s installed and it’s understood.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:27 am
I think if it's his error then you shouldn't be charged. If you had hung like a monkey from the rail and then it came off, then it's your fault for unusual use and you should be charged.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:29 am
amother Jasmine wrote:
I think if it's his error then you shouldn't be charged. If you had hung like a monkey from the rail and then it came off, then it's your fault for unusual use and you should be charged.

No monkeys hanging. It was in the master bath and wasn’t even touched. Everyone knows that stickers or suction don’t work well in a shower! I didn’t dream that’s how he attached it in the first place.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:13 pm
I definitely would not pay. I can’t believe he even asked you to. Was he highly recommended by somebody? I definitely went higher him again or recommend him that’s for sure. I am very loyal when I find somebody good. I really stick with them because I’ve learned that there’s not so great people out there. I live my life or being honest and business is very important. I think it’s one of the questions they ask you in the next world I mean that’s what I’ve heard anyway. So shocking to hear religious people act in such a dishonest way.

amother
  Mimosa

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
proof is that it fell off…

I learned from experience to take pictures of badly installed items for proof that can't be denied.
True that it falling off can be proof of bad instillation, but people lie and cheat. Best to have physical proof.

octopus

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:31 pm
I once had a plumber fix a faucet in a bathtub. One faucet needed to be replaced. He sent two of his workers instead of coming down himself. And his workers replaced all the faucets. And he ended up charging me an extra $300 because his workers made a mistake. I never ever hired him again and I never recommend him.

ETA the plumber himself admitted that his workers made a mistake. But he still had me absorb the cost of it. I don't know what the halacha is, but regardless I did not benefit from the new knobs because I redid that bathroom a few months later I just needed that faucet fixed in the interim.

CPenzias

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:44 pm
Have him come to fix it and don't pay. No way
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette