Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o: Why do many Imas act as if US = the whole world?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Reality  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:14 am
notshanarishona wrote:
How many countries are there outside of the US where English is the first language? Australia, Canada , England where else? US is one of the primary location for English so it makes sense that most people here are likely Americans.

South Africa
The Philippines
The Bahamas
New Zealand

Many other countries learn English in school because English is the language of business, medicine and computers

amother
  Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:22 am
Reality wrote:
South Africa
The Philippines
The Bahamas
New Zealand

Many other countries learn English in school because English is the language of business, medicine and computers

English is not the first language in the Phillipines. Though, as with many other countries, anyone who's gotten a half decent education there has learned English.

Reality  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:25 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
English is not the first language in the Phillipines. Though, as with many other countries, anyone who's gotten a half decent education there has learned English.

Ok. But there's a lot of lower level workers from the Philippines here in Israel and maybe it's not their first language but they speak English.

amother
Strawberry  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:40 am
I see we are back in high school/camp. Waah, New Yorkers are so snobby, they think they are the only ones that exist etc..

We even have that oh so funny map posted for the 100th time that OOTners find hilarious!

Some people need to grow up.

amother
Salmon  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:44 am
Can we open a thread mocking out of towners now?

amother
  Salmon

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:46 am
This thread is so offensive.
I live in NY and I consider myself well traveled, well updated with international politics and affairs. Why are you lumping all of us together? Is it ok if we do the same to Israelis etc?

amother
  Strawberry  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:49 am
amother Salmon wrote:

Maybe a pic of a map showing insecure people looking at NY enviously will do.

Wolfsbane  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:24 am
amother Salmon wrote:

This is a thread about Americans, not NYers specifically.

Comptroller  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:34 am

Last edited by Comptroller on Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
  Strawberry  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:51 pm
Comptroller wrote:
In this case, clearly, you are not among the 'many Imas' the title refers to.

This thread is a spinoff of the thread "Why do israeli Imas answer American based q(uestions)",
and I took offense to that thread, although I was not the person who caused the OP to open it.

So your response is to create another offensive thread?

amother
  Strawberry  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:52 pm
Wolfsbane wrote:
This is a thread about Americans, not NYers specifically.

Ah ok, in that case!

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 3:54 pm
TLDR but if by "the picture" you mean the classic New Yorker magazine cover with the New Yorker's View of the World, I've been dwelling in Manhattan for over 60 years and I still think that image is hilarious. The truth hurts if you lack the ability to laugh at yourself.

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 3:59 pm
English is an official language in virtually every country that was part of the British Empire. That covers an awful lot of territory. In countries with many tribal or ethnic divisions and multiple languages or dialects, English becomes the common denominator whether or not it is any particular group's preferred language. And, like it or not, it is the international language of business and science.

Comptroller  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 5:59 pm
amother Salmon wrote:

Of course. Just do it!!!

amother
  Broom  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 6:20 pm
amother Jean wrote:
TLDR but if by "the picture" you mean the classic New Yorker magazine cover with the New Yorker's View of the World, I've been dwelling in Manhattan for over 60 years and I still think that image is hilarious. The truth hurts if you lack the ability to laugh at yourself.

There's a difference between laughing at yourself and being the designated joke.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 7:21 pm
People in Europe are constantly aware of other countries since most countries in Europe are around the size of a state in the US and travel between countries is fairly common. Europe, Aisa, and Africa are connected while there is a whole ocean separating the Americas from the rest of the world. Yes airplane travel is more common than when I was a kid, but the rest of the world is still on the other side of the ocean, so it's easy to forget it exists. Until 1501, Europeans didn't know that the Americas existed. They assumed it was India. I'm sure the Native Americans didn't know much about land across the ocean either. The US didn't join WWII until they were forced since they didn't feel connected to events on the other side of the ocean.

amother
  Strawberry

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:05 pm
amother Jean wrote:

Why would I laugh if I don’t act that way or find it to be true amongst the people I interact with? Maybe you and your friends are not the brightest and that’s why you find it funny.

Did you just laugh at yourself? Not as funny when you are the butt of the joke.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:19 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
India has the largest population, followed by China. US is third.

We are hardly the most powerful country

Which country is more powerful?

Cheiny  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:20 pm
Comptroller wrote:
In this case, clearly, you are not among the 'many Imas' the title refers to.

This thread is a spinoff of the thread "Why do israeli Imas answer American based q(uestions)",
and I took offense to that thread, although I was not the person who caused the OP to open it.

You seem to take offense at numerous threads.
Maybe try skipping over them and finding some that don’t trigger you?

Comptroller  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 12:29 am
amother Salmon wrote:
This thread is so offensive.
I live in NY and I consider myself well traveled, well updated with international politics and affairs. Why are you lumping all of us together? Is it ok if we do the same to Israelis etc?

Look, Cheiny left a message for you! I show it here, just in case you missed it:
Cheiny wrote:
You seem to take offense at numerous threads.
Maybe try skipping over them and finding some that don’t trigger you?

To be honest, I don't share her opinion. I am in favor of a honest and open exchange, so why shouldn't you read a thread that might offend you, why shouldn't you even express that it offended you? I don't think self-censorship is necessary.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette