Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
S/o: Why do many Imas act as if US = the whole world?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:28 pm
Comptroller wrote:
Why do so many Imas from the USA act as if the USA, or even their little town in the USA (Lakewood, I'm looking at you) was the center of the world?

they post questions without specifying locations, as if it was logical that it could only be in their neck of the woods.

They treat other users as if the were automatically from the USA.

Isn't it very provincial to believe that your place is the center of the world?
If you expect people to be more considerate, you can bring awareness in a respectful manner.

vintagebknyc  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:35 pm
amother Latte wrote:
why take offense when none meant?
the US is the largest population by far
and the most powerful country
fact and fact

while surely not your intent this is a divisive post
pointing fingers at others
why not just gently post when pertinent that you aren to in the US etc
you might want to ask yourself why this is such a trigger for you why does this hit such a nerve for you....

India has the largest population, followed by China. US is third.

We are hardly the most powerful country

Wolfsbane  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:23 pm
Comptroller wrote:
Why do so many Imas from the USA act as if the USA, or even their little town in the USA (Lakewood, I'm looking at you) was the center of the world?

they post questions without specifying locations, as if it was logical that it could only be in their neck of the woods.

They treat other users as if the were automatically from the USA.

Isn't it very provincial to believe that your place is the center of the world?

It reflects our secret plans for world domination.

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:18 pm
there are actually about 30 tri-state areas, many with actual physical markers marking the convergence of state lines. Around here, the tri-state is CA-NV-OR...Somehow the official Jewish "tri-state" is large frum communities on the East Coast....as for assuming that everyone is part of that tri-state, the sheer numbers stack up against pretty much anywhere else outside Israel. The UK (not just England) has around 280,000 Jews, France has roughly 550,000, and NY alone has nearly 2 million. I don't have access to a "frum Jews only census" but I think these numbers are food for thought.

amother
  Snowdrop

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:24 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
India has the largest population, followed by China. US is third.

We are hardly the most powerful country

How are these true facts relevant to Imamother threads?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:57 am
Comptroller wrote:
I'm not calling anyone provincial.

My definition of provincial is:

You live in your little neck of the woods, where you feel like you are the king, so you ignore that rest of the world exists.

I think being provincial is a great thing.
It's basically saying I am happy where Hashem placed me.
Grow where you're planted and all that Smile

Reality  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 1:15 am
Comptroller wrote:
I'm not calling anyone provincial.

My definition of provincial is:

You live in your little neck of the woods, where you feel like you are the king, so you ignore that rest of the world exists.

And I am saying you are doing the exact same thing you are accusing the Americans of doing. Do you like being called provincial? All I'm saying is it's human nature.

One of the nicest side benefits of moving to Israel is it's truly a melting pot of all Jewish cultures from all over the world. How truly diverse and open is YOUR country and neighborhood? My neighbors and friends come from all over the US, UK, South Africa, Mexico, Belgium, former USSR, France, Iran, native Israelis etc etc.You really learn that everyone has their "things" when it comes to their country of origin.

Comptroller  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 2:47 am

Last edited by Comptroller on Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
  Bottlebrush  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 7:21 am
Comptroller wrote:
In the building where I live, there are 6 flats inhabited by people from 8 different countries and 3 different continents.

Funny, I would never have guessed you live in Israel or appreciate diversity, because of the things you write in the politics forum.

I grew up in NYC and still live in the general area. I have lived in buildings with an even larger array of countries, continents, and languages. NYC is the most diverse city in the world. Within the 5 boroughs, Queens and Brooklyn are the numbers 1 and 2 respectively for diversity. Who's the "provincial" one now?

amother
  Brickred  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 7:30 am
Comptroller wrote:
In the building where I live, there are 6 flats inhabited by people from 8 different countries and 3 different continents.

Funny, I would never have guessed you live in Israel or appreciate diversity, because of the things you write in the politics forum.

As a jewish woman, I am grateful to live in a community surrounded by wonderful fellow jewish familes. I dont need "diversity" to raise my children as shomrei torah u'mitzvos.

I am not sure why diversity is so important to you.

Comptroller  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:29 am

Last edited by Comptroller on Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:31 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
I think being provincial is a great thing.
It's basically saying I am happy where Hashem placed me.
Grow where you're planted and all that Smile

I was fact checking the poster's statements since they were blatantly false

amother
  Brickred

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 10:15 am
Comptroller wrote:
So I merely answered the question she asked me.

Got it

Reality  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:10 am
Comptroller wrote:

I am extremely open about where I used to live and currently live, as opposed to you, quite frankly.

I am surprised that you live in such a diverse place yet take so many opportunities to put down people who are different than you. People who are friends with a diverse group of people don't usually do that. We realize we have more common with each other than surface differences.

Reality  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:17 am
amother Brickred wrote:
As a jewish woman, I am grateful to live in a community surrounded by wonderful fellow jewish familes. I dont need "diversity" to raise my children as shomrei torah u'mitzvos.

I am not sure why diversity is so important to you.

I know you were responding to Comptroller but I was the one who mentioned diversity.

I mentioned it in the context of Jewish diversity. Living amongst all kinds of Jews, from different countries and with different minhagim and cultural norms is such an amazing zchut. It really helps you grow in Ahavat Yisrael.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 11:37 am
My children have known temani, Asian Jews, black Jews, all frum bh

Fox  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:25 pm
It's kind of ironic to read a complaint about frum people being "provincial" in 2024. If you think things are bad now, you should have seen what it was like before the Internet or deregulated airfares.

Back in the 80s, most Brooklynites had been to the Catskills and, maybe, Miami. They knew there Jews in NJ, but Lakewood was "moving away." Monsey was definitely OOT.

On visits to NY, I regularly got condescending questions about life in Chicago:

"Are you able to get a minyan?" (Yes, there are several yeshivas and 15+ shuls)

"Can you get kosher meat?" (Yes, we grab it off the truck on the way from Iowa to NY)

"Isn't it nice to see Jewish people walking around?" (We're allowed to walk in Chicago, too)

People today have traveled more; interacted with more Jews from around the world; and generally know more about the world outside their daled amos. In many ways, it's a wonderful change. In some cases, though, people think they know more about life and culture in various places than they really do.

Ideally, we should have one eye on enjoying different cultures and the other on what we can learn from them. For example, I'm obviously not going to adopt Japanese culture wholesale, but I incorporated the habit of cleaning the toilet every morning and the value of well-made box lunches for kids -- and my life is better for it.

But if you're using cultural norms of which you disapprove as a sort of cudgel to beat people up . . . well, they're not the ones being provincial.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:29 pm
How many countries are there outside of the US where English is the first language? Australia, Canada , England where else? US is one of the primary location for English so it makes sense that most people here are likely Americans.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:30 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
As an admin the most common one I had to ask to add location was Chicago. Interesting enough.

That's hilarious! I guess that proves that, deep down, we all know that Chicago is the center of the universe! Very Happy

amother
Lightblue  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 12:35 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
You seem a tad bitter. Are you okay?

Most Libs are...
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette