Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I'm a pool owner. AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:46 am
I'd be so nervous to have a pool with young kids at home. Even with all precautions.

I'd probably feel more comfortable with a big jacuzzi which is high, off the ground, much smaller than a pool thus being able to have a secure lid with a lock or two and a gate around it.

Perhaps one day.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 3:05 am
amother OP wrote:
Yea... are babysitters asked if they report their income? Or mothers helpers or cleaning ladies?

I won't say if I do or don't, but I'm just trying to understand why people are so hung up on whether I report this income or not.

I'm not the one who asked but I am curious and keep going through to see if you answered it.

Mostly I'm curious because I wonder how it would affect taxes, how it would be classed and how much that income would be taxed, and how it would affect your bottom line.

I do tend to make decisions on how much to earn on the side and what worthwhile side hustles would be, based on how the IRS sees it. This is a novel idea, I never knew pools could earn so much and be so profitable, and so I wonder how it affects tax reporting, tax brackets, etc.

I am not the IRS and for the next few years not living in the US, but I have always dreamed of having a pool for my own family, and wondered how renting it out works. You've answered a lot of my questions but this is still a big thing that worries me (and DH would never agree to renting a pool out without the answer to this question, or agree to having a pool if it didn't cover its own costs).

(BTW about cleaning ladies, I would expect that if it's her full-time job that she does report her income. And babysitters and mothers' helpers don't usually earn enough to report, if they are teens at least. If it is a full-time job then of course they report? But in those cases it's usually not a side gig but their sole income, so it doesn't affect tax brackets the same way a profitable side gig would. I think.)

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:30 am
amother Hosta wrote:
I'm not the one who asked but I am curious and keep going through to see if you answered it.

Mostly I'm curious because I wonder how it would affect taxes, how it would be classed and how much that income would be taxed, and how it would affect your bottom line.

I do tend to make decisions on how much to earn on the side and what worthwhile side hustles would be, based on how the IRS sees it. This is a novel idea, I never knew pools could earn so much and be so profitable, and so I wonder how it affects tax reporting, tax brackets, etc.

I am not the IRS and for the next few years not living in the US, but I have always dreamed of having a pool for my own family, and wondered how renting it out works. You've answered a lot of my questions but this is still a big thing that worries me (and DH would never agree to renting a pool out without the answer to this question, or agree to having a pool if it didn't cover its own costs).

(BTW about cleaning ladies, I would expect that if it's her full-time job that she does report her income. And babysitters and mothers' helpers don't usually earn enough to report, if they are teens at least. If it is a full-time job then of course they report? But in those cases it's usually not a side gig but their sole income, so it doesn't affect tax brackets the same way a profitable side gig would. I think.)

I am not OP but you seem very naive. Cleaning ladies and babysitters do not report their income. That’s the advantage of a cash job. Maybe there are exceptions but that’s what they are exceptions not the rule. And same goes for tutoring…

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:35 am
Here’s my question, and it’s the one thing that kept me from even considering having a pool.

Does the area smell of mold?

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:41 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
It's a very nosey unnecessary question. Sorry.
What are you? The irs?

I imagine you’re the person who hugged my post. I don’t think it’s a question any different than the other questions were asked.
Again the OP says “ask me anything”. I believe this is within the realm of normal questions to ask.
Having said that OP is clearly not comfortable answering for whatever reason And that’s fine. I don’t think you need to answer so rudely.
Why does the question bother you so much?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:46 am
amother Daphne wrote:
I imagine you’re the person who hugged my post. I don’t think it’s a question any different than the other questions were asked.
Again the OP says “ask me anything”. I believe this is within the realm of normal questions to ask.
Having said that OP is clearly not comfortable answering for whatever reason And that’s fine. I don’t think you need to answer so rudely.
Why does the question bother you so much?

Because if OP was avoiding the question people shouldn't push it.
And AMA doesn't mean going into yenems kishkas.
What is it to you to police her income reporting.
And for the record I pay lots of taxes and receive no government programs.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:56 am
amother Red wrote:
Here’s my question, and it’s the one thing that kept me from even considering having a pool.

Does the area smell of mold?

No, I've never heard of a pool area smelling of mold (unless if its indoors - which mine isnt). Do you mean chlorine?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:59 am
amother Hosta wrote:

I think once you move to the US and actually own a pool you should worry how it'll affect your tax bracket.

Also, me answering whether I report this income or not, will not answer how much taxes you will be paying for your hypothetical pool income. There are so many factors that come to play here

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:28 am
amother Blonde wrote:
I'd be so nervous to have a pool with young kids at home. Even with all precautions.

I'd probably feel more comfortable with a big jacuzzi which is high, off the ground, much smaller than a pool thus being able to have a secure lid with a lock or two and a gate around it.

Perhaps one day.

https://www.lathampool.com/aut.....vers/
We have something like this over our pool. It holds up to 400 pounds so if a child or an animal were to run past our locked gate they wouldn’t be in danger. It’s easy to open and close. You just flip a switch. I highly recommend for any pool owner. It can save lives.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:20 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
Because if OP was avoiding the question people shouldn't push it.
And AMA doesn't mean going into yenems kishkas.
What is it to you to police her income reporting.
And for the record I pay lots of taxes and receive no government programs.

My opinion, you can choose not to answer a question by saying, this is a question I am not going to answer. this is an "ask me anything". Ignoring a question usually makes people ask it more.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:21 am
amother Molasses wrote:
My opinion, you can choose not to answer a question by saying, this is a question I am not going to answer. this is an "ask me anything". Ignoring a question usually makes people ask it more.

Right.. she is clearly not paying taxes and doesn't want to say so leave it!

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:23 pm
What if there's a sudden thunderstorm and the renters need to leave. Do you refund them at all?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:38 pm
How do people pay you ? Do they have to physically hand you cash? does that mean you always have to be around?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:39 pm
amother Violet wrote:
Right.. she is clearly not paying taxes and doesn't want to say so leave it!

If shes not paying taxes its smart to not write that online

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:40 pm
Op have you considered getting a bubble and using it all year round

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:40 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
What if there's a sudden thunderstorm and the renters need to leave. Do you refund them at all?

Yes. If they don't get to swim I don't make them pay. If they swam for 50 minutes and the rain started 10 minutes before they needed leave then they usually pay for the full hour. If they only swam for half of the time they pay half.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:41 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
How do people pay you ? Do they have to physically hand you cash? does that mean you always have to be around?

I'm not always around. I sometimes tell them to leave it in an envelope I prepare outside before I leave my house.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:42 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Op have you considered getting a bubble and using it all year round

I've thought about it, but I don't think maintaining a pool all year would be something we would want to do. 4-5 months is more than enough for us.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 2:04 pm
Some nasty potatoes showed up as usual to derail the thread. Op enjoy your pool and don’t let those bitter people get to you.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 2:42 pm
If someone would reserve your pool let's say for every Monday 9am to 10am. Do you have a way to lock them in to keep their word? If they don't show up you lose an hour that you could have given to someone else, no?
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics