Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Re-posting an excellent post from a different thread

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:13 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
I'm sorry I know this wasn't the point of your thread, but I wish every mother who feels this way would take a stand. My 13-year-old thinks this is a normal thing now, and desperately wants one. I have stretched way past my previous limits of what I felt comfortable spending on everything for her (she's my youngest). For example, I got her an ALO sweatshirt for $80 as a prize, she got a Stanley water bottle for $35 for a present for something else, I just got her a Lululemon shirt on sale for 50, all things she really wanted, and were a stretch for me...I told her I would get her a Lola copy from Fame for $60 which is a lot for me--more than I would spend on clothes for myself, and she's not even totally happy with it because she thinks everyone has the real Lola. I am drawing a line here because it's so insanely beyond my limit for a weekday skirt for myself, let alone a 13 yr old girl. If a few uber wealthy moms want to spend like this it's up to them but could the rest of us please stop this insanity?

Hooray

Odelyah

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 12:16 am
Oh hey I just saw this--that was me! I wimped out and went anon but I'll bump this now under my username, because I really meant it when I said we all need to take a stand. Please. And btw, I didn't end up getting her the copy from Fame for 62 either bH because the one she wanted was sold out. And just a PSA if you take a stand and say I'm so sorry my precious wonderful girl, I love you so much, but it's complete insanity to pay 160+ for a skirt, for a growing kid, for camp, and it's so far out of the range of anything close to reasonable that you can't do it, you won't do it, but then you soften it by getting her some very cute non-Lola but actual hardtail skirts on clearance on their website then she will be more than OK. I promise you.
I got my daughter 3 skirts and 1 long sleeve tee for less than the cost of 1 Lola. And she really likes them. dumb red tag and all. And I can live with myself bH.

Hamayvin Yavin

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 12:57 am
Which thread is this from?

srbmom

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 12:59 am
I also took a stand. DD was not happy initially but bh we found some other skirts that she really liked so ended up happy. I bought her a Kiki Riki look a like and another very similar skirt from Tiptoe Boutique. Ended up being $100 for the two. Hopefully she'll get tons of wear out of them.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:04 am
Hamayvin Yavin wrote:
Which thread is this from?

this one:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....66687

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:24 am
Go us. Please all continue to bump this up to remind each other not to cave into the pressure. To establish boundaries, maintain them and to teach financial responsibility. Hooray
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics