Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Switzerland vs Austria
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 3:08 pm
My husband and I would like to take a one week vacation end of July, and never been to the Alps. There are so many programs advertised, and don't know which is best suited for me. I have back pain, so am looking for cool weather, easy scenic walks and nice cable car rides. St Moritz is too expensive, but there is Davos, Arosa and St Anton, Austria. Could anyone give me advice

amother
Pear  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 3:12 pm
ugh
never would want to go to austria
or germany for that matter

so I vote switzerland
beautiful

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 3:16 pm
austria is stunning, tirol is similar in scenery to switzerland but cheaper. fiss/ladis has nice easy walks and many cablecars for example, st anton has a kosher hotel this year.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 3:25 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
austria is stunning, tirol is similar in scenery to switzerland but cheaper. fiss/ladis has nice easy walks and many cablecars for example, st anton has a kosher hotel this year.

Is it as scenic? Is temperature as good?

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 3:25 pm
Austria is supposed to be nicer than Switzerland. Switzerland just has more of a brand.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 4:12 pm
I find Switzerland has more lakes and it is higher than Austria (might also be a bit colder because of it) but accommodation is definitely more expensive. Also the food and transport are more expensive.
But Austria also has beautiful places. I've never been to St. Anton but I know people who have been and they said it was beautiful. Serfaus/fiss/Ladis are very child friendly with loads of activities and playgrounds for kids but there are also beautiful walks. There are loads of stroller friendly walks so could be a good option for you if you can't hike too much. Serfaus is highest altitude and Ladis is at the bottom so not as nice and cheaper. You can get a card for unlimited cable cars for about 10 euros per day. But I don't think there's a kosher hotel there this year. You can get kosher bread and milk products in some places in Austria including there.

bizimom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 4:13 pm
Ty

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 4:21 pm
Switzerland is prettier and you can manage without a car

amother
Emerald  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 4:44 pm
isnt it raining non stop there?

amother
Oak  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 5:29 pm
amother Pear wrote:
ugh
never would want to go to austria
or germany for that matter

so I vote switzerland
beautiful

Obviously your not on top of current events.
Austria's government is extremely pro Israel and anti Palestinian.
They Austrian's won't even let them protest like the are in the US every day.

Switzerland hates Jews with a passion.
I'm talking from experience and many of jewish visitors to Switzerland first hand experience.
The Swiss are abhorrently vicious.

amother
  Emerald

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 5:42 pm
amother Oak wrote:

I'm talking from experience and many of jewish visitors to Switzerland first hand experience.

are there alot of arabs in switzerland and austria?

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:16 pm
amother Oak wrote:

Some Swiss hate many Jewish tourists with a passion and might be vicious about it. The average Swiss guy on the street isn't thinking much about Jews at all.

I assure you that the average Austrian also hates Jews with a passion and would be abhorrently vicious about it, given the opportunity. It's baked into their blood.

amother
  Oak  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:09 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Some Swiss hate many Jewish tourists with a passion and might be vicious about it. The average Swiss guy on the street isn't thinking much about Jews at all.

I assure you that the average Austrian also hates Jews with a passion and would be abhorrently vicious about it, given the opportunity. It's baked into their blood.

I was recently in Vienna.
I noticed that the jews there....BTW. its a thriving and ba'h a very fast growing community with multiple kehilas....live very comfortable there and are telling me that they feel no or very little antisemitism.
Something that can't be claimed in NY .

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:11 pm
If mykosherhotel has availability I highly recommend. Pricing was great, too.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:21 pm
I have great memories from Davos!
btw, for your back pain, I feel you, go for PT. covered by insurance.... it really helps me

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 5:30 am
We've felt a more heavy atmosphere in some place in Austria. In Germany lots of guilt. Swiss nothing neutral. Talking of the locals. That said my husband did Swiss army and got nz salutes there. As tourists we only had trouble a couple time in Switzerland but not with locals. One crazy with a flag and perhaps one taxi who used the excuse of carseat to not take us. But we'd go in all those countries. No trouble in Austria and if anything nice in Germany and iirc one or two freebies.

amother
  Oak  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:31 am
https://www.straitstimes.com/w.....-gaza

amother
  Oak

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 9:34 am
Vienna most livable city in the world for third year

ghttps://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/vienna-in-austria-most-liveable-city-for-a-third-year-tel-aviv-falls-amid-israel-s-war-in-gaza

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 8:58 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
If mykosherhotel has availability I highly recommend. Pricing was great, too.

Is this in Austria or Switzerland?

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2024, 10:05 pm
I went to Austria with Weber Tours. It was awesome!!! One thing no one tells you in advance is that in most if not all hotels there is no AC. And, yes, it could really get hot during the day and for most Americans sleeping without AC is a challenge
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics