Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
It sounds like WAR!!
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:22 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
One more time for the ones in the back.
Kidding! Wink

Can't Believe It I was trying to correct a grammatical error in my original comment and don't know how to correct it on Imamother. It ended up being posted three times. Yikes.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 7:47 am
Lovable wrote:
It's on nights like these that I want to shout from the rooftops Shelo Asani [gentile]
This is called celebration?? The noise is beyond.
Poor them. Lucky us

Am I the only one whose frum neighbors did fireworks?

sheifelah

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:11 pm
Last year I was really annoyed with the noise, but this year it didn't bother me. I imagine actual bombs are way louder. At least fireworks are pretty. We were thinking of going somewhere where they had an official fireworks display, but turns out my block had a very nice view.

I just wonder, were the people setting off fireworks actual patriots?

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:22 pm
isrmss91 wrote:
It hasn't been this bad in years, in NYC. Of course with the current politicians, anything goes. Police won't do a thing.

I don’t know what part of NYC you live in, but where I live there’s constantly random fireworks going off. It’s been like this since the summer of the riots.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:24 pm
amother Pink wrote:
Fireworks should be illegal.
they're so worried about the atmosphere and the climate, let them ban fireworks, not my plastic shopping bags.
not to mention PTSD for veterans and other people with fragile mental health.
Disturbing citizens...
It's 11pm, hasn't stopped for a second since 7pm, enough already.

Many are, but no one cares or does anything about it.

miami85

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:13 pm
I've never been in a war, but I have heard gunshots, and I used to be terrified of loud noises as a child--including fireworks. To me it's less of an issue when I see the fireworks producing their magnificent colors and the sparkle makes it less connected to any kind of negative association. Now I enjoy watching them. I think if you can re-associate the sounds in your head it can become a more positive experience. Kind of like when we teach children who are afraid of the dark by turning on the lights we see that the "scary monster" was just a pile of clothes or a shadow of a toy it becomes something less fearful. PTSD is often that "not knowing what to expect" from the stimulus and your imagination feeds your anxiety.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:23 pm
BaltoMom65 wrote:
https://youtu.be/r5kH_oy3FFU?si=Et-_MUdVnjvM6H0u Protests in NYC today

Protests for what?

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:32 pm
I woke up to firworks in the middle of the night on a random noght, and my first thought was that we werw under attack. When you're already living in a heightened sense of fear and stress, I can understand how it would be terrifying.

I do enjoy seeing them and just find the noise slightly annoying when I'm trying to sleep. Knowing that it's a big night for fireworks, no would try to block out the noise and find a way to avoid it as much as possible if I knew it could be a trigger.

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:34 pm
miami85 wrote:
I've never been in a war, but I have heard gunshots, and I used to be terrified of loud noises as a child--including fireworks. To me it's less of an issue when I see the fireworks producing their magnificent colors and the sparkle makes it less connected to any kind of negative association. Now I enjoy watching them. I think if you can re-associate the sounds in your head it can become a more positive experience. Kind of like when we teach children who are afraid of the dark by turning on the lights we see that the "scary monster" was just a pile of clothes or a shadow of a toy it becomes something less fearful. PTSD is often that "not knowing what to expect" from the stimulus and your imagination feeds your anxiety.

How could anyone enjoy watching them when they are ongoing every night for several weeks sometimes till 2 AM?

It sounds like constant machine gun fire.

sequoia

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:43 pm
sheifelah wrote:
Last year I was really annoyed with the noise, but this year it didn't bother me. I imagine actual bombs are way louder. At least fireworks are pretty. We were thinking of going somewhere where they had an official fireworks display, but turns out my block had a very nice view.

I lived in Kyiv for a year and a half. I was in the thick of it.

Fireworks are much louder and more traumatic than actual rockets.

Check out my other thread where a therapist who works with patients with PTSD talks about how fireworks are the worst. And besides Israeli and Ukrainian people who are triggered, think of all the American veterans who have been in Iraq and Afghanistan. It’s wrong to celebrate freedom by harming the very people who fought for you.

Fireworks should be illegal, as they are in many countries.

SYA

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 3:28 pm
It is so loud. They had extra loud ones at 2 am and then again at 3 am nearby. Woke my baby. When I finally settled her they started a new round with super loud blasts. My baby couldn’t settle. I had to hold my baby in my arms.

There’s no reason to be setting them off at 2 or 3 am. Definitely not the super loud blasts.

miami85

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 3:57 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
How could anyone enjoy watching them when they are ongoing every night for several weeks sometimes till 2 AM?

It sounds like constant machine gun fire.

Over time your brain should be able to assimilate the noise and it becomes easier to tune-out. Use a noise machine or ear plugs. We got home from vacation late Sunday night, after midnight, and we were hearing the pop-pop and we got nervous, then I realized we were in "shavua she'chol bo" so we quickly shifted our thinking to fireworks and we weren't nervous anymore. When you don't know what it is, that's when your mind gets more scared.

miami85

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 3:58 pm
sequoia wrote:
I lived in Kyiv for a year and a half. I was in the thick of it.

Fireworks are much louder and more traumatic than actual rockets.

Check out my other thread where a therapist who works with patients with PTSD talks about how fireworks are the worst. And besides Israeli and Ukrainian people who are triggered, think of all the American veterans who have been in Iraq and Afghanistan. It’s wrong to celebrate freedom by harming the very people who fought for you.

Fireworks should be illegal, as they are in many countries.

They ARE in NYC, but people get them anyway, most locations have local ordinances with specific hours for fireworks, and it's not supposed to go past 11pm-midnight, but they do them anyway...what is your point?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 4:04 pm
The police need to actually enforce it. I'm sorry but if you can't enforce the fireworks law, then what laws are you even enforcing? They are literally making a loud noise and sparkles indicating their location.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:14 pm
Wish I could’ve seen some fireworks, tried looking for locations near me but couldn’t find.

I was in Israel when the war started and Fireworks don’t set me off bh, although super loud or sudden noises do.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 10:44 pm
miami85 wrote:
Over time your brain should be able to assimilate the noise and it becomes easier to tune-out. Use a noise machine or ear plugs. We got home from vacation late Sunday night, after midnight, and we were hearing the pop-pop and we got nervous, then I realized we were in "shavua she'chol bo" so we quickly shifted our thinking to fireworks and we weren't nervous anymore. When you don't know what it is, that's when your mind gets more scared.

It's not me. It's kids who wake up crying at 1 AM because someone bored decided It's a good time to wake the neighborhood.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 10:51 pm
They are STILL going on.

BaltoMom65

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:32 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
What is it of? I can't open
Anti-Israel protests of course

sequoia

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:27 pm
amother Lime wrote:
The police need to actually enforce it. I'm sorry but if you can't enforce the fireworks law, then what laws are you even enforcing? They are literally making a loud noise and sparkles indicating their location.

Good point.

miami85

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:30 pm
amother Lime wrote:

Police in many cities aren't enforcing non-violent crimes for most things--you expect them to go enforcing fireworks? How do you do that? Track the fireworks down to the house or apartment that it came from?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries