Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Are you scared?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
  Caramel

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:24 pm
Elfrida wrote:
People in Israel feel safe.

We're sorry that you can't understand it, and try to explain. That's all.

People in Israel just live their lives. It's different from 18 y old Americans who choose to go there in the time of war.

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:39 pm
Cheiny wrote:
There’s also the issue of it being an issue putting yourself in danger and right now Israel is at war and there are frequent attacks. So it’s not so simple to say you’re letting them win. If people don’t feel safe now sending their kids to Israel, they’re certainly justified. Plus I don’t believe in the whole “must send my kids to Israel because it’s the fad” thing…

People are absolutely entitled to do what they feel is best for their child. What they shouldn't do is tell others they have their heads in the clouds. That is rude.
Also, who said I'm sending my child because it's a fad? I don't care about fads. I'm sending because it was the best year of my life. I felt so connected when I was in Israel for seminary. I want my son to feel that too. I want him to feel connected to our country and heritage. Is that a fad?

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:40 pm
amother Banana wrote:
I have plenty of emuna. Have you heard of hishtadlut?

To say Israel is safe is a lie..I'm sorry.

I've sent multiple children to Israel but won't be doing it. I have plenty of emuna.

But pls..keep your head in the sand while Hezbollah is lobbing missiles from the north....hope you stay safe.

Wait, now I'm confused 😕 do I have my head in the clouds or in the sand?
Perhaps you don't know me or anyone here and you shouldn't have said that

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:41 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
It's not so nice to tell her to have emuna. She's absolutely justified in being scared to send her child to a place where there's a war and supposedly will get worse.
You can talk about yourself having emunah and sending your son there and not worrying, but don't tell her to have emunah.

Ohhhh but she has a right to say people have their heads in the clouds? Ok got it. Double standards over here

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:46 pm
amother Banana wrote:
I have plenty of emuna. Have you heard of hishtadlut?

To say Israel is safe is a lie..I'm sorry.

I've sent multiple children to Israel but won't be doing it. I have plenty of emuna.

But pls..keep your head in the sand while Hezbollah is lobbing missiles from the north....hope you stay safe.
The majority of Israel is NOT an active war zone. Full stop. I think watching the news from outside of israel makes people more nervous that most feel in israel.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:49 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
People in Israel just live their lives. It's different from 18 y old Americans who choose to go there in the time of war.

Okay, then it should be their decision. People here are making decisions about how they feel, not how their daughters or Sons feel.

I should hope the vast majority of us would say it is abusive to force your child to go to a country they are scared of going to, or doing anything they are terrified of doing.

amother
  Ultramarine  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:59 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Okay, then it should be their decision. People here are making decisions about how they feel, not how their daughters or Sons feel.

I should hope the vast majority of us would say it is abusive to force your child to go to a country they are scared of going to, or doing anything they are terrified of doing.

So is it abusive to prevent your child going to a country they want to go to, because the parent is terrified?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:02 pm
I’m from Baltimore so a war doesn’t scare me. Baltimore is like the murder capital of the USA. One of its nicknames is bloodymore, murderland. And we’re also basically number one for violent crime. My kids can tell the difference between a firework going off and a gunshot. I’m more scared for someone to go downtown than to Israel!!

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:15 pm
I live in Jerusalem and I'm panicked about being visiting the states. Like having actual anxiety about it. We're supposed to go visit in August and I'm so nervous. Obviously we are clearly religious, husband walks around in a hat and jacket and no we aren't going to Lakewood but out of town places.

amother
Viola  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:21 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
I live in Jerusalem and I'm panicked about being visiting the states. Like having actual anxiety about it. We're supposed to go visit in August and I'm so nervous. Obviously we are clearly religious, husband walks around in a hat and jacket and no we aren't going to Lakewood but out of town places.

We are also visiting out of Israel (not usa) this summer and I am also extremely nervous. We look noticeably jewish and it is making me very nervous.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:41 pm
Honestly I think there’s three parts to this question:
1. Emuna/bitachon and hishtadlus. This is a question to discuss with whomever you discuss hashkafa questions to.

2. Anxiety.
Anxiety is a beast. It’s real and it’s determined to run our lives as much as it can.
This is a judgement, this is about looking inside and seeing if you can live with the anxiety of sending him or her.

3. Trying to look and see if you can live with yourself if you let him or her go and anything happens chas vshalom. Meaning, if you decide, bitachon wins over hishtadlus, you have to be at that level. You have to make the decision based upon how you truly deeply internalize the bitachon/hishtadlus issue.

This is just my jumbled opinion.

One more piece:
From many years ago.
Our Rav said going to EY is not a sakana.
In fact he said we could go during the 9 days because going to EY is a mitzvah.
Again many years ago.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 6:57 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
People living in Israel somehow feel defensive and have to say how safe it is.. Americans are allowed to be nervous sending their child to a country in middle of a WAR.

Please validate and don’t gaslight.

Is it gaslighting for me to say that I feel way safer here than when I travelled abroad this year? Twice, once for a full month. I couldn't believe how many Arabs and Pro-Palestinians I was seeing everywhere there.

There's nothing wrong being nervous sending your child here, (which Yiddishe Mama isn't nervous at the best of times?) but it's a fact that many people, not only Israelis, feel safer here in the current climate than they do abroad.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:07 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I’m from Baltimore so a war doesn’t scare me. Baltimore is like the murder capital of the USA. One of its nicknames is bloodymore, murderland. And we’re also basically number one for violent crime. My kids can tell the difference between a firework going off and a gunshot. I’m more scared for someone to go downtown than to Israel!!

Nyc here...same same

amother
  Hotpink  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:17 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
Is it gaslighting for me to say that I feel way safer here than when I travelled abroad this year? Twice, once for a full month. I couldn't believe how many Arabs and Pro-Palestinians I was seeing everywhere there.

There's nothing wrong being nervous sending your child here, (which Yiddishe Mama isn't nervous at the best of times?) but it's a fact that many people, not only Israelis, feel safer here in the current climate than they do abroad.

https://travel.state.gov/conte.....risk.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:23 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:

Totally ot but I really never get how ppl live there as if it’s normal?? Whyyyy?

amother
  DarkMagenta  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:17 pm
Cheiny wrote:
There’s also the issue of it being an issue putting yourself in danger and right now Israel is at war and there are frequent attacks. So it’s not so simple to say you’re letting them win. If people don’t feel safe now sending their kids to Israel, they’re certainly justified. Plus I don’t believe in the whole “must send my kids to Israel because it’s the fad” thing…

It's also justified to say that New York is not a safe place for Jews right now, and neither is Toronto.
And in fact I know frum Jew,s from both places who feel unsafe and are looking into aliya, because the antisemitism and azlat yad is simply too much and they don't see a future for Jews where they live.

effess

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:57 pm
I’m sending my dd.
I think it’s a great education. It’s our land and Hashem’s protection is apparent.
Terrorists want to instill fear, and we will not cower.
I believe she’ll be fine. And I believe she’ll be stronger for it.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:11 am
The seminaries take so many precautions that it could get irritating. If it helps you, ask the school for their emergency protocols.

amother
  DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:25 am
effess wrote:
I’m sending my dd.
I think it’s a great education. It’s our land and Hashem’s protection is apparent.
Terrorists want to instill fear, and we will not cower.
I believe she’ll be fine. And I believe she’ll be stronger for it.

Yes, absolutely.
Anyone who changes their plans or doesn't continue just living life because they fear terrorism or rockets, is giving a victory to the terrorists. And especially if they avoid Israel due to fear, that is giving a victory to terrorism. That is their stated goal - to isolate Israel and make people afraid to come.

amother
  Gold  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 6:44 am
The issue is not the current situation it’s Hezbollah saying that if attacked they will fight a war without boundaries c’v. But I still can’t believe America will let Israel get destroyed even if Biden is there.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info