Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Are you scared?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Hotpink  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:11 pm
People living in Israel somehow feel defensive and have to say how safe it is.. Americans are allowed to be nervous sending their child to a country in middle of a WAR.

Please validate and don’t gaslight.

amother
  DarkMagenta  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:14 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
People living in Israel somehow feel defensive and have to say how safe it is.. Americans are allowed to be nervous sending their child to a country in middle of a WAR.

And Israelis are allowed to be nervous about sending relatives, or traveling, to a country where antisemitism is rampant and violent, and where a third of the population thinks it's justified and another third simply sweeps it under the rug.

I don't have to validate your beliefs about my country and it's not gaslighting to say that Europe and the US are hellish scary and seem to be going to the dogs.

You don't have to agree with me, but pointing out to OP that her perspective isn't ironclad and there are dangers near her own home as well, is pretty valid.

Like someone else said if Hashem wants something to happen it can happen in America and if He doesn't want it to happen then it won't happen in Israel either.

Elfrida  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:15 pm
amother [b]Hotpink wrote:
People living in Israel somehow feel defensive and have to say how safe it is.. [/b]Americans are allowed to be nervous sending their child to a country in middle of a WAR.

People in Israel feel safe.

We're sorry that you can't understand it, and try to explain. That's all.

amother
  Hotpink  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:32 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
And Israelis are allowed to be nervous about sending relatives, or traveling, to a country where antisemitism is rampant and violent, and where a third of the population thinks it's justified and another third simply sweeps it under the rug.

I don't have to validate your beliefs about my country and it's not gaslighting to say that Europe and the US are hellish scary and seem to be going to the dogs.

You don't have to agree with me, but pointing out to OP that her perspective isn't ironclad and there are dangers near her own home as well, is pretty valid.

Like someone else said if Hashem wants something to happen it can happen in America and if He doesn't want it to happen then it won't happen in Israel either.

So start your own thread? Not sure what you are talking about.

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:34 pm
I would have loved to send my son but I didn't encourage it. Not with a war imminent from the north. Not with Judea and Samaria simmering.
I will send my children when they can visit and experience the entire land. Bezh sooner than I think.

amother
  Hotpink  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:37 pm
Elfrida wrote:
People in Israel feel safe.

We're sorry that you can't understand it, and try to explain. That's all.

So say you feel safe. Saying America is more dangerous is gaslighting.

amother
  Banana  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:43 pm
Elfrida wrote:
The last time they seriously tried to throw missiles at us, before Pesach, was a nes galui, with over three hundred missiles being sent, and one child injured. It was scary sitting there, waiting for those missiles to arrive, but those moments when the siren went off, when we could hear the planes swooping around, and the missiles being shot down - I've never felt safer than those moments, and it wasn't just the air force. It was the absolute security of being protected by Hashem against all odds. I'm glad that experience was part of my life.

So, to return to the original subject, I'd say you are as safe in Israel as you would very anywhere else. Which will never stop parents at a distance being worried. (I'm many years beyond seminary, and have lived in Israel for more than half my life, and nothing stops my father from worrying. He's just learnt to live with it.)

Seriously? Have you heard of Hezbollah??

amother
  Banana  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:43 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:

Nope. This is not what this thread is about.

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:44 pm
zaq wrote:
Israel has never been "safe" except, maybe, during the Pax Solomonica, my term for the peaceful period during the reign of King Solomon.

You take your fears, shove them into a remote corner of your brain, slam the compartment door shut and seal it with a padlock. Then you trust that the KBH's plans, whatever they may be, will be done. If He wants someone to be hurt, chas vechalilah, He doesn't have to bring them to EY to accomplish that. And if He wants them to be safe, He can accomplish that in EY just as easily as in Lakewood.

Lol I'm behind in Nach Yomi and just binge listened to melachim alef 1-7 and I was thinking "yes it was (safe) during Shlomo"
❤️ at the end of the day, when it's your time it's your time. I work in the South Bronx and have had shelter in due to someone finding a body in a car. At the end of the school year a student in a school across the street was threatening to shoot. My fil died in his sleep. When Hashem wants to take you, He will take you.

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:47 pm
amother Banana wrote:
💯. We are not sending our daughter. Everyone sending must have their heads in the clouds. Although are oldest went...our youngest will not be going. We made this decision after Oct 7. Everyone says..it'll be better by September. Yet here it is July and it's only gotten worse.

We have our heads in the clouds?
I don't think so. I'm making a conscious decision to send my son. I think you have your head in the sand and you think you have control over your life. Girl, you do not. No one has control over their lives. Have some emuna. Smh

Elfrida  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:47 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Seriously? Have you heard of Hezbollah??

Well, yes. They were the ones throwing the missiles at us. And look what happened.

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Maybe this is the right derech for some...but we have a concept of hishtadlus and shmartem meod. Maybe going to a place that has missiles being fired at it is not proper hishtadlus. I know that I am not at the level that I do not need to do hishtadlus...while there are yechidim at that level, I am not one!

Do you drive? You know you can die in a car too.
I appreciate your opinion (even though I disagree) and I appreciate you not telling folks they have their heads in the clouds

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:51 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:

I live in NJ. I'm not gaslighting. I'm way more anxious about my son going to college than going to Israel. It's so sad when jews say they're afraid to go. If you're afraid, you're letting them win.
If I was able to I'd make aliya now.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:59 pm
CPenzias wrote:
I live in NJ. I'm not gaslighting. I'm way more anxious about my son going to college than going to Israel. It's so sad when jews say they're afraid to go. If you're afraid, you're letting them win.
If I was able to I'd make aliya now.

There’s also the issue of it being an issue putting yourself in danger and right now Israel is at war and there are frequent attacks. So it’s not so simple to say you’re letting them win. If people don’t feel safe now sending their kids to Israel, they’re certainly justified. Plus I don’t believe in the whole “must send my kids to Israel because it’s the fad” thing…

shabbatiscoming  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:59 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:

No, we do not feel defensive. We truly do feel safe. Its not something easy to explain to someone who does not live here. And that is not gaslighting. Thats just being honest.
But yes, anyone out of israel can feel nervous about sending their child to Israel. But I promise you that if you/your child comes here, you will feel what so many feel. Yes, there are those that feel scared and have been displaced from their homes, but the majority of this country is not living in active war.
So unless your child was planning on going to sem or yeshiva in otef azza or up north, I think its ok. And you should be proud of them for wanting to come to Israel to spend time learning.

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 4:02 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
No, we do not feel defensive. We truly do feel safe. Its not something easy to explain to someone who does not live here. And that is not gaslighting. Thats just being honest.
But yes, anyone out of israel can feel nervous about sending their child to Israel. But I promise you that if you/your child comes here, you will feel what so many feel. Yes, there are those that feel scared and have been displaced from their homes, but the majority of this country is not living in active war.
So unless your child was planning on going to sem or yeshiva in otef azza or up north, I think its ok. And you should be proud of them for wanting to come to Israel to spend time learning.

Exactly! I was in seminary in 2001-2002 and there was a bombing or attack once a week. It was crazy. Was I nervous? Sure. Did that stop me from going around? No. And that was when the 2 bus drove right through the Arab quarter to get to the kotel.

amother
Caramel  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 4:15 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
You cannot compare some antisemitic people to being in a country that is at war being bombed daily.

Seriously. I just "love" when people talk about antisemitism in NY when asked about Israel during the war.

amother
  Banana

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 4:19 pm
CPenzias wrote:
I don't think so. I'm making a conscious decision to send my son. I think you have your head in the sand and you think you have control over your life. Girl, you do not. No one has control over their lives. Have some emuna. Smh

I have plenty of emuna. Have you heard of hishtadlut?

To say Israel is safe is a lie..I'm sorry.

I've sent multiple children to Israel but won't be doing it. I have plenty of emuna.

But pls..keep your head in the sand while Hezbollah is lobbing missiles from the north....hope you stay safe.

amother
  Caramel  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 4:20 pm
CPenzias wrote:

It's not so nice to tell her to have emuna. She's absolutely justified in being scared to send her child to a place where there's a war and supposedly will get worse.
You can talk about yourself having emunah and sending your son there and not worrying, but don't tell her to have emunah.

frumPA

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 4:22 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
I send my son after pesach. Bh in Jerusalem its calm. They were supposed to have a shabbos in or near teveryia but bh changed locations

This. Yerushalyim is calm and you don’t feel like anything is different there. The north is off limits and I am sure seminary will make that very clear.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info