Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Are you scared?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:32 am
Are you getting nervous sending your DD off with hezbollah attacking? I don;t feel like I can tell her she can't go, but I am getting scared. I went during the intifada, I am sure my parents were nervous, but never let on

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:39 am
Its so long away the way the world is working now. Put off being nervous if you can.

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:13 pm
I send my son after pesach. Bh in Jerusalem its calm. They were supposed to have a shabbos in or near teveryia but bh changed locations

CPenzias  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:38 pm
My son is going to Israel in September. No, I'm not scared. Maybe I'm ignorant. I truth, I'm jealous and wish I could go again ❤️

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:39 pm
Israel has never been "safe" except, maybe, during the Pax Solomonica, my term for the peaceful period during the reign of King Solomon.

You take your fears, shove them into a remote corner of your brain, slam the compartment door shut and seal it with a padlock. Then you trust that the KBH's plans, whatever they may be, will be done. If He wants someone to be hurt, chas vechalilah, He doesn't have to bring them to EY to accomplish that. And if He wants them to be safe, He can accomplish that in EY just as easily as in Lakewood.

amother
DarkMagenta  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:46 pm
zaq wrote:
Israel has never been "safe" except, maybe, during the Pax Solomonica, my term for the peaceful period during the reign of King Solomon.

You take your fears, shove them into a remote corner of your brain, slam the compartment door shut and seal it with a padlock. Then you trust that the KBH's plans, whatever they may be, will be done. If He wants someone to be hurt, chas vechalilah, He doesn't have to bring them to EY to accomplish that. And if He wants them to be safe, He can accomplish that in EY just as easily as in Lakewood.

Yeah just look at today's news. And then you have the stabbing a couple years ago in the kosher supermarket, remember that one? And a couple days ago Jews were attacked for being Jews - in New York.

Personally I'd be scared to send my child to Europe, Toronto, or New York.
Or many other places around the world.

You have antisemitism everywhere. Israel is no different.
It's just that here we call it "terrorism."

amother
Banana  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:48 pm
💯. We are not sending our daughter. Everyone sending must have their heads in the clouds. Although are oldest went...our youngest will not be going. We made this decision after Oct 7. Everyone says..it'll be better by September. Yet here it is July and it's only gotten worse.

amother
  Banana  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:48 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Yeah just look at today's news. And then you have the stabbing a couple years ago in the kosher supermarket, remember that one? And a couple days ago Jews were attacked for being Jews - in New York.

Personally I'd be scared to send my child to Europe, Toronto, or New York.
Or many other places around the world.

You have antisemitism everywhere. Israel is no different.
It's just that here we call it "terrorism."

Missiles aren't being lobbed at us in New York.

amother
Ultramarine  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:50 pm
amother Banana wrote:

Yet.

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:55 pm
I have a son there now for the summer. Am I worried absolutely. I live in NY, my kids are constantly on the train..am I just as worried..yes..Here in NY you don't know who your enemies are and it's unlikely anyone will help you if needed. In Israel you know who the enemy is and we as a nation look out for each other. I rather be there than here.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:57 pm
You cannot compare some antisemitic people to being in a country that is at war being bombed daily.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:57 pm
zaq wrote:

Maybe this is the right derech for some...but we have a concept of hishtadlus and shmartem meod. Maybe going to a place that has missiles being fired at it is not proper hishtadlus. I know that I am not at the level that I do not need to do hishtadlus...while there are yechidim at that level, I am not one!

Elfrida  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:03 pm
amother Banana wrote:

The last time they seriously tried to throw missiles at us, before Pesach, was a nes galui, with over three hundred missiles being sent, and one child injured. It was scary sitting there, waiting for those missiles to arrive, but those moments when the siren went off, when we could hear the planes swooping around, and the missiles being shot down - I've never felt safer than those moments, and it wasn't just the air force. It was the absolute security of being protected by Hashem against all odds. I'm glad that experience was part of my life.

So, to return to the original subject, I'd say you are as safe in Israel as you would very anywhere else. Which will never stop parents at a distance being worried. (I'm many years beyond seminary, and have lived in Israel for more than half my life, and nothing stops my father from worrying. He's just learnt to live with it.)

amother
  DarkMagenta  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:05 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
You cannot compare some antisemitic people to being in a country that is at war being bombed daily.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'm sorry but rockets and UAVs in the north and an occasional missile to the south doesn't justify your fear of the rest of the country.
Especially since in your country antisemites are allowed guns and concealed carry and if the are arrested they are usually out on bail within days....if it is even deemed a hate crime at all. And antisemitism is a daily occurrence in your country, too.

amother
Gold  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:35 pm
Israel is at war and the situation is unknown because of Biden looming election. Dd just came back from Israel and I don’t envy you for having to make that decision if to send her. DD’s 99.9 percent of girls in her grade went to Israel I wonder what is the percentage this year.

Cheiny  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:38 pm
LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'm sorry but bombs in the north and an occasional missile to the south doesn't justify your fear of the rest of the country.
Especially since in your country antisemites are allowed guns and concealed carry and if the are arrested they are usually out on bail within days....if it is even deemed a hate crime at all. And antisemitism is a daily occurrence in your country, too.

I don’t think this is funny. And please point us to how many people have gotten killed in the US during these daily anti semitic occurrences…

Elfrida  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:44 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I don’t think this is funny. And please point us to how many people have gotten killed in the US during these daily anti semitic occurrences…

OK, different perspectives. From chutz l'aretz it's hard to understand.

Iymnok  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:54 pm
LOL LOL LOL LOL

I'm sorry but bombs in the north and an occasional missile to the south doesn't justify your fear of the rest of the country.

No bombs have been dropped or placed.only rockets, shells and drones/UAVs. In the upper Galil and occasionally the golan, and less often the Gaza envelope.
Obviously with a full war beta are off.
But Arabs talk big. It's their culture.

amother
  DarkMagenta  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 2:58 pm
Iymnok wrote:
No bombs have been dropped or placed.only rockets, shells and drones/UAVs. In the upper Galil and occasionally the golan, and less often the Gaza envelope.
Obviously with a full war beta are off.
But Arabs talk big. It's their culture.

You're right, missiles and UAVs, not bombs. For some reason I wasn't pulling up the word for shigurim.

amother
  DarkMagenta  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:01 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Only deaths matter? Trauma and injuries don't?

Well then it should be easy for you to send to Israel. After all other than on October 7 or among the hostages relatively few civilians have been killed, almost all those who have fallen are soldiers.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info