Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Why don't most frum jews do 4th of july?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:55 pm
do what feels comfortable for you. we're home and we have a grill so we used it. I don't think that makes us bad people.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 7:56 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
And like I said it’s a regular day for so many of us it’s not like we are all off and sitting at home with time on our hands.

This may be the same MO vs yeshivish/chassidish divergence that's the case with the 4th itself. MO ppl are far more likely to be working in the secular world and do have the day off....

amother
Burlywood  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
this doesn't really answer the question. for you and the people thumbs upping this: is it more that you don't have time for secular american holidays / not care enough to make a big deal about them? or is it more that you hold that it's not jewish to celebrate secular american holidays? again, just trying to understand - no judgment. your answer just isn't clear and helpful.

I really enjoy reading judgemental posts where the OP makes sure to tack on how she's not being judgemental.
To answer your question in a clearer way, I'm a second generation American on both sides. While we're grateful to this country for allowing us to rebuild ourselves here, it's independence doesn't matter enough to us. My circles are of the same opinion as giftedmom, nationality comes after religion. And anyway, the way America has been treating Jews and Israel, I don't feel there's much to celebrate.

amother
Brickred  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:42 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
this has nothing to do with july 4th.
this is a day on the Jewish calendar.
28 Sivan.
However, NO ONE should ever celebrate the Rebbe with a BBQ or fireworks.
Such a day is celebrated by learning more an davening more.

Thanks ma'am for your positivity

amother
  Burlywood  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:44 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
this has nothing to do with july 4th.
this is a day on the Jewish calendar.
28 Sivan.
However, NO ONE should ever celebrate the Rebbe with a BBQ or fireworks.
Such a day is celebrated by learning more an davening more.

This is actually the opposite of what the Rebbe stood for.

amother
  Brickred  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
this doesn't really answer the question. for you and the people thumbs upping this: is it more that you don't have time for secular american holidays / not care enough to make a big deal about them? or is it more that you hold that it's not jewish to celebrate secular american holidays? again, just trying to understand - no judgment. your answer just isn't clear and helpful.

The meaning of her answer is that it's an identity thing, who you feel you identify with

amother
  Blueberry  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
This may be the same MO vs yeshivish/chassidish divergence that's the case with the 4th itself. MO ppl are far more likely to be working in the secular world and do have the day off....

Yeah ok you believe that. Or we just work on these holidays so we can take off Yom tov… you seem to think Mo are just a cut above the rest. It’s always cute when someone is really naive and thinks the rest of the Jewish world lives according to the stereotypes in their head.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:53 pm
I love July 4th and Im yeshivish but a long time BT. We sit in the back yard and watch the fireworks and talk about as imperfect as america is, its way better then any other country has been.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:56 pm
Jews should give thanks to their country. Especially not advertise publicly if you don’t celebrate the American holidays

amother
Apricot  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 8:56 pm
In my community many people enjoy seeing the fireworks. The hot dog bun and hamburger bun section in the kosher grocery store was empty.

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 9:05 pm
amother OP wrote:

I thumbs upped it - I just live in America cuz this is where I was born and this is where my family lives… I cud not care less about these so called “holiday’s”

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 9:08 pm
Having a BBQ and doing fireworks is not my family's style of celebration . Nor does it gauge how patriotic one is as an American.
My cleaning lady and her family make a huge BBQ and watch the fireworks but are not here legally and are in no way American or in the process.
I also know Americans who make the biggest BBQs and are repeated offenders with zero respect for the law, the constitution or what America stands for.
So having a BBQ is definitely nice, fireworks are nice too, but they represent nothing for me personally.
I did sit down at the computer to look for good deals, that's how I celebrated today Drunken Smile

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 9:16 pm
Are you an American Jew
Or a Jewish American
(Speaking of the rebbe this is his teaching- you are a jew, noun, and your country is just an adjective)

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 9:32 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Jews should give thanks to their country. Especially not advertise publicly if you don’t celebrate the American holidays

Doing it every week by giving them almost half of my payroll check. (Called payroll tax)

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 9:46 pm
amother OP wrote:

We’re chassidish. I work full time and I’m off today. I did laundry and cleaned.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:21 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
Yeah ok you believe that. Or we just work on these holidays so we can take off Yom tov… you seem to think Mo are just a cut above the rest. It’s always cute when someone is really naive and thinks the rest of the Jewish world lives according to the stereotypes in their head.

people who work in the secular world often do have off on all the US federal holidays - whether they like it or not - and have no ability to work those days so they can take off the jewish holidays. obviously this isn't always the case, for example a solo practitioner lawyer or accountant doesn't have the same constraints as someone who works at a company. but for frum jews who work for a company in the secular world, if the company is closed, its closed and it's a day off whether you like it or not.

what's naive is to think that people who work in the secular world can just work on the US federal holidays to make up for all the yom tovs they have to take off.

I don't think MO is better. MO vs haredi is just different in terms of lifestyle stuff like the calendar people live by (e.g., getting off kol hamoed vs getting off secular holidays) just because of who their employers typically are.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:33 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
I really enjoy reading judgemental posts where the OP makes sure to tack on how she's not being judgemental.
To answer your question in a clearer way, I'm a second generation American on both sides. While we're grateful to this country for allowing us to rebuild ourselves here, it's independence doesn't matter enough to us. My circles are of the same opinion as giftedmom, nationality comes after religion. And anyway, the way America has been treating Jews and Israel, I don't feel there's much to celebrate.

calm down. there's no judgment. it's the opposite of judgment. it's interesting to hear all the different perspectives from frum women from all sorts of different backgrounds. all the different responses on here are very interesting and nobody is wrong or right.

I couldn't care less if other frum jews do BBQs or fireworks other than that it'd be fun for our family to have more frum jews -- rather than fewer frum jews -- getting together on the 4th for kosher BBQs while we have the day off anyway.

for us personally, my husband and I both grew up doing the 4th. BBQs and fireworks are fun, and it's not that much work and we have the day off anyway. the message of the 4th is a good message and a good message to teach the kids. america today is far from perfect, but other than israel, it's been perhaps the best nation for humanity -- and for the jews -- in the history of the world. plus, celebrating the 4th takes nothing away from our ability to be good jews and celebrate the jewish holidays. so why not?

but if other frum jews feel differently, it's no big deal. I don't think you're some treasonous american if you choose not to have a BBQ on the 4th. seems like there are various reasons not to celebrate it, and it's all good.

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:34 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:

Many companies are closed today, and camps too because non Jewish support staff like bus drivers don’t want work on legal holidays.

amother
Cadetblue  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:37 pm
Here in Brooklyn we've had practice fireworks for weeks already. I have a surround sound fireworks situation going on which I can see from my living room windows and I don't even bother to watch because I'm sick of the war zone noise. Not sure what fireworks has to do with July 4 at this point. The fireworks will continue on for the rest of the summer, based on past years' history.

We don't bbq bec we don't own a grill. My kids hate hot dogs and everything else takes too long to cook.

We are patriotic every day of the year and don't need a special day to celebrate much like mother's day.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:40 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Here in Brooklyn we've had practice fireworks for weeks already. I have a surround sound fireworks situation going on which I can see from my living room windows and I don't even bother to watch because I'm sick of the war zone noise. Not sure what fireworks has to do with July 4 at this point. The fireworks will continue on for the rest of the summer, based on past years' history.

think of it as a g*yishe version of elul shofar blowing... they're lighting fireworks all june to prepare for the big day LOL
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days