Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ds wants to ride his scooter where I cant see him

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:34 am
I live in a very safe neighborhood where it's pretty normal for people to allow their 4-5 year old kids to play outside without supervision. I believe it's not safe even though I'm usually the only mom outside watching my kids. Most of my kids like playing in front of the house on our swings, but my 5yo ds wants to ride his scooter. The problem is that there is very little space for him to ride around. Our house sits on a corner to one side, so if he turns the corner I can no longer see him, and on the other side there's a large parking lot with cars constantly coming and going, and it's not very safe to ride a bike there. So the only space he has is directly in front of the house and our walkway.
The other kids always ride around the corner, and my son is very frustrated that I dont allow him to join unsupervised. This is a fight we have almost daily, and I understand how he feels, I just don't know what to do. Sometimes he doesnt listen and just turns the corner anyway. Please help me with ideas on how to solve this in a way that makes everyone happy.

amother
Mauve  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:36 am
Can you sit at the corner so you can see both your front and the next street?

mizle10

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:36 am
I also live on a corner. My 5yo DD rides her scooter not around the corner, the other way if that makes sense. That way she's riding down a straight sidewalk and I can see her.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:39 am
I think your mistake herr is assuming you need a solution where everyone is happy.

You're the parent. It's a safety issue. You can say "no", if kid does it anyway he gets a punishment.

In our grandparent's generation it would have gone like this: "now see here son, you see this belt? You don't want it on your backside and I don't want you riding your scooter alone. So don't ride your scooter alone, and we'll both be happy. If not... *crack*!..."

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:44 am
He can ride from the corner till the parking lot after our house, but it's really not enough for him. I dont have a direct view from the corner to my house because of trees.

Brit in Israel

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:44 am
My son the same age wanted to do something similar that the neighbours do and I don't think it's safe. I straight out told him that I love him to much and if he was out of sight and got hurt from a car or falling I will be too upset that he hurt himself and he means to much to me. I told him he can do it as long as I can see him to make sure he is ok.
He took it really well, he saw it's from Love and not from control and coz I don't want him to.

Hatzlocha

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:48 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
My son the same age wanted to do something similar that the neighbours do and I don't think it's safe. I straight out told him that I love him to much and if he was out of sight and got hurt from a car or falling I will be too upset that he hurt himself and he means to much to me. I told him he can do it as long as I can see him to make sure he is ok.
He took it really well, he saw it's from Love and not from control and coz I don't want him to.

Hatzlocha

We discussed it many times, and he even agrees with me (sometimes). But when he's outside and all the kids are riding on and he has to turn back he gets extremely frustrated.

amother
  Mauve

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:50 am
Can you walk with him? Say you’ll go with him twice and the rest of the time he has to stay in front of the house?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
We discussed it many times, and he even agrees with me (sometimes). But when he's outside and all the kids are riding on and he has to turn back he gets extremely frustrated.

I’d not let him ride the scooter if he won’t listen to your rules. There are other ways to play outside. Take him to a park with the scooter when you can.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:28 pm
I cannot imagine allowing my 5 year old riding a scooter unsupervised in a parking lot. They're practically still toddlers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics