Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
9 year old son gaining a lot of weight recently

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:36 pm
Is this normal? He doesn’t have a great diet but never did so I don’t think that’s it. He just turned nine and is rapidly growing out of his clothing and getting very big/chubby. I’m totally chilled I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything as my older sons didn’t have this. Obviously trying to encourage moving and nourishing wholesome choices but he is and always has been sensory/picky. But again that not anything that has changed recently that could explain this.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:40 pm
Encourage movement and healthy foods. I find that they get a little chubby before they go on huge growth spurts. Mine was definitely chubbiest this age when he never was. And then went on a huge growth spurt and almost a decade later is still so skinny.

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 10:31 pm
My 9yo also recently filled out a lot despite never being hungry for breakfast or dinner. Then I found out he was buying loads of nosh off of other kids in yeshiva Surprised

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 7:36 am
amother Heather wrote:
My 9yo also recently filled out a lot despite never being hungry for breakfast or dinner. Then I found out he was buying loads of nosh off of other kids in yeshiva Surprised

So my son def eats nosh but not anymore than he ever did. He always craved sugar. He comes home and asks for ice cream the second he comes in. He has a few huge bowls of cereal a couple hours after eating dinner (for example a heaping bowl of spaghetti and meatballs) so I know he eats a lot but my point is he was always like that. Maybe the quantities have increased? He definitely seema to need it.

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 8:46 am
amother OP wrote:
So my son def eats nosh but not anymore than he ever did. He always craved sugar. He comes home and asks for ice cream the second he comes in. He has a few huge bowls of cereal a couple hours after eating dinner (for example a heaping bowl of spaghetti and meatballs) so I know he eats a lot but my point is he was always like that. Maybe the quantities have increased? He definitely seema to need it.
Sounds like a lot? Just because he's eating it doesn't mean he "needs" it. Kids can be compulsive eaters.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:05 am
My son “exploded” recently. Went up three sizes in a year and half. Also 9 yrs.

Pediatrician said its common at this age. Before they hit puberty.

But in my case my son eats pretty Balanced meals. Healthy breakfast and lunch and junk food in school. So I wasn’t concerned more like tried cutting down on carbs and increasing the veggies and protein for dinner

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:10 am
amother Heather wrote:
Sounds like a lot? Just because he's eating it doesn't mean he "needs" it. Kids can be compulsive eaters.

There prob is a piece there. He has that sensory/impulsive/prob adhd profile.
I don’t want to make him self conscious about his body or eating. He’s a yummy happy kid. I really prefer not to comment on what he’s eating. I always offer choices but he’s likes what he likes and will not touch what he doesn’t

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:17 am
amother Silver wrote:
My son “exploded” recently. Went up three sizes in a year and half. Also 9 yrs.

Pediatrician said its common at this age. Before they hit puberty.

But in my case my son eats pretty Balanced meals. Healthy breakfast and lunch and junk food in school. So I wasn’t concerned more like tried cutting down on carbs and increasing the veggies and protein for dinner

Yes!! This!!

RBPetra

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:36 am
A lot of kids chunk up a bit before puberty (boys and girls both). As long as he moves/plays and he doesn't seem to be sneaking food I wouldn't worry much. If it seems excessive maybe mention to his pediatrician and see about checking his thyroid? But it's probably just normal prepuberty weight

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:30 pm
Puberty causes a form of insulin resistance, It is normal but continue to encourage sane and healthy eating and not developing bad habits which will stick after puberty is done.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:36 pm
This is the age when hereditary weight/blood sugar issues come up. We don't have this in my family BH, but dh had this at age 8ish and now my youngest daughter has this. She is 12 BH and the last 3 years have been different and yes we keep buying new sizes. We make sure her 3 main meals are healthy and filling (like always), have fruits and veggies for snacking, and the rest is her genes and up to Hashem. She's a delight and that's all there is to it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics