Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Are there any services in Lakewood

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 9:03 am
In Brooklyn my friend gets a lot of services for the kids
1. School vouchers even for older kids
2. Pt, Ot, speech, play, therapies
3. P3 tutoring at home for older kids
4. She does have a child with a disability and gets respite She can chose who she wants, and chose her sister. The sister gets paid a lot for doing this. Said child’s disability is not so great that she needs a respite.
5. She has an advocate that informs her of all that is available for her and her family
6. The child with minor disability gets extracurricular activities fully paid including going on trips, outings, and much more. His disability does not impede his daily living.

She also can apply for school discount/scholirship (not part of the state)

Another friend of mine that lives in Lakewood says none of this exists there
Not even asking for school scholarship

Is this true?
I live OOT and thinking to relocate

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:09 am
amother OP wrote:
In Brooklyn my friend gets a lot of services for the kids
1. School vouchers even for older kids
2. Pt, Ot, speech, play, therapies
3. P3 tutoring at home for older kids
4. She does have a child with a disability and gets respite She can chose who she wants, and chose her sister. The sister gets paid a lot for doing this. Said child’s disability is not so great that she needs a respite.
5. She has an advocate that informs her of all that is available for her and her family
6. The child with minor disability gets extracurricular activities fully paid including going on trips, outings, and much more. His disability does not impede his daily living.

She also can apply for school discount/scholirship (not part of the state)

Another friend of mine that lives in Lakewood says none of this exists there
Not even asking for school scholarship

Is this true?
I live OOT and thinking to relocate

A lot of the services you mentioned are for children with an ASD diagnosis. Children with diagnosis get a tremendous amount of services in NY.

1. Vouchers are income based - in order to be eligible you need to be below a certain threshold.

2. PT, Speech, OT (and P3) are through the DOE.

I am not aware of play therapy through the DOE.

3. P3 can either be done at home or in school through the DOE

4. Is given to children with a diagnosis

5. Is given to children with a diagnosis

6. Is given to children with a diagnosis

Even without a diagnosis, the services mentioned in #2 are amazing for children who need them.

amother
Foxglove

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:11 am
To answer your question
Yes there are more possibilities in NY than NJ

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:43 am
I have a child with a diagnosis and a significant disability. Much of that is not available in Lakewood.
After 3 when you Age out of EI you can get therapy through special ed preschool if you are eligible otherwise it's all on you through your health insurance. Same for school age children
Respite is limited in hours if you are eligible, idk what state eligibility criteria are. At home respite will give you 20 hours per month at minimum wage, if you choose to send to center then all your respite funding goes there, you cannot split it
You will see children with a diagnosis of ASD who get a lot of services, that is aba and covered by health insurance
If a child has significant physical limitations and you are on Medicaid you can get ppp. It is easier to be eligible over age 5.
Opwdd and all the respite and extras they find and case managers to manage it all don't exist here
For your specific needs you may be best off reaching out to yahalom and they can help you figure out what resources would be available for you here.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 4:08 pm
If you live in Lakewood please list services
For kids 6 and up

One of my kids 9 yrs have trouble with reading both English and Hebrew

Do schools give tuition breaks
A friend said no, she sends to Tashbar

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 4:16 pm
From a mother of a child who really struggles, he would not do well in a Lakewood size class. He does very well in his OOT class of 20 with a fair amount of support. So you also need to evaluate how your child will do if he or she has a class of 26-30.

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 6:18 pm
Some schools will give tuition breaks, it never hurts to ask (except your ego)
My children who needed extra help had to get it privately. There is catapult which is covered but services are in a group and rather limited. A child with a true issue needs more.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 6:35 pm
mha3484 wrote:
From a mother of a child who really struggles, he would not do well in a Lakewood size class. He does very well in his OOT class of 20 with a fair amount of support. So you also need to evaluate how your child will do if he or she has a class of 26-30.

Ok Thanks for the advice
Are there smaller schools in Lakewood? That cater to learning disabilities
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating