Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Hardtail skirts
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:53 am
If this is the only thing, enjoy it. But it's almost always the cherry on top of constantly buying things to fit in. Insanity. Teens need the right look, and it's a huge boost to have the in item here and there. They don't need all of them, or specifically the most expensive one.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:04 am
My daughter is a young fuller girl, and has a hard time fitting into most of the hard tail items. There are a few pieces that can work for fuller girls. With the skirts, my daughter does best with the ribbed Lolas or princess skirts. Besides being so over priced, it's time consuming to keep looking around for a style that would fit. Hatzlacha.

amother Coral wrote:
Be happy if your teen can fit into this style skirt at all.

Mine can’t, and I am having a tough time shopping for her in (Jewish stores with clothing they make themselves!!) because all of the clothing is so fitted or slinky!

Make it make sense!

ebmother

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:05 am
I’m not of any help here, but can someone fill me in? I only have boys. What’s hard tail skirt?

Shifra Schiff

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:06 am
How are families pulling this off? Think about a family with a few teenage daughters; it sounds like you have to be either rich or in debt. Am I missing something?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:15 am
I’m in my 30s and this was going on in my days. Everyone had hardtail skirts in camp and juicy sweatshirts. I see both sides of the argument and I have boys (my girls are still little)
I felt very deprived as a kid, it def carried into my adulthood and affects my spending habits to this day (as much as I try not to!)
I wish there was a magic solution

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 11:19 am
For those that buy, how many skirts is your daughter getting? Does she have other skirts as well.

We got the Kiki Riki ones and I told my girls that was $$$ enough and they need to wear multiple times.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 12:06 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
So happy ur not my mom.

Actually rolling from this. My kids bh are happy and well adjusted. They don't need a $160+ skirt to make them happy.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 12:21 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
I’m in my 30s and this was going on in my days. Everyone had hardtail skirts in camp and juicy sweatshirts. I see both sides of the argument and I have boys (my girls are still little)
I felt very deprived as a kid, it def carried into my adulthood and affects my spending habits to this day (as much as I try not to!)
I wish there was a magic solution

I remember that too. I didn't feel deprived at all, I was put into a bunk with all the out of towners and I'd say 1/3-1/2 didn't have that stuff.

I don't think it's like that today though lol

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 2:02 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Actually rolling from this. My kids bh are happy and well adjusted. They don't need a $160+ skirt to make them happy.

Cause of ur sour attitude ew

erm

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
You’re right. 100%. But that’s not the reality. If your kids truly don’t want any of this stuff then kol hakavod, but if they’re like my daughter , who knows and wants this stuff, and is part of a very wealthy friend group, I don’t want her to resent that she doesn’t have any of these items and I don’t feel feel comfortable saying no to everything. Even if that makes me part of the problem. I know adults that didn’t get stuff they wanted as kids and as adults it’s really sad watching them try to catch up.

Of course my girls want these skirts. I just say no. It makes no sense to buy such an expensive ugly skirt to play ball in camp with.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
You’re right. 100%. But that’s not the reality. If your kids truly don’t want any of this stuff then kol hakavod, but if they’re like my daughter , who knows and wants this stuff, and is part of a very wealthy friend group, I don’t want her to resent that she doesn’t have any of these items and I don’t feel feel comfortable saying no to everything. Even if that makes me part of the problem. I know adults that didn’t get stuff they wanted as kids and as adults it’s really sad watching them try to catch up.

I feel like it’s actually the kids who always got every thing they every asked for who struggle later with real life.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:47 pm
And here my plus sized, obese self who can never find clothing ever left a beautiful simcha dress that looked awesome on me in the store today cuz I couldn’t justify spending the $145 it cost…. (I know it’s not considered expensive for a simcha dress. I just couldn’t justify spending that now)

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:56 pm
amother Linen wrote:
I feel like it’s actually the kids who always got every thing they every asked for who struggle later with real life.

For sure. It’s called balance. Don’t always say yes don’t always say no. The kids who were always told no suffer way more

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:00 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
And here my plus sized, obese self who can never find clothing ever left a beautiful simcha dress that looked awesome on me in the store today cuz I couldn’t justify spending the $145 it cost…. (I know it’s not considered expensive for a simcha dress. I just couldn’t justify spending that now)

oh no!
is it possible to cut from elsewhere and go back and buy it?

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:12 pm
Shifra Schiff wrote:
How are families pulling this off? Think about a family with a few teenage daughters; it sounds like you have to be either rich or in debt. Am I missing something?

Many moons ago when I was a teen, Bennetton shirts, Banana Republic, Guess jean skirts, and other brands were a thing and they were expensive. My mother would buy my sisters and I each a few of these, on a credit card. Then the bill would come in and my father would nearly pass out. Both of my parents worked but did not earn huge salaries. I remember the tension this caused and still carry some resentment towards my mother for doing this. She held that you ‘needed’ to buy the newest brand name clothing for girls to fit in. All this did was make us resent our normal clothes and obsess over buying more name
brands. This kept putting my family into debt and caused shalom bayis issues with my parents.
I would just ask mothers to take a stand and not lay out huge sums you might not have so your daughter can ‘fit in’. It’s a horrible message to send to our children.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 7:12 pm
A huge issue in our society is when a girl gets “in” in the wealthy group of friends, and constantly needs to try and measure up, while never actually accomplishing that…

If your daughter isn’t confident enough then maybe she needs new non Uber wealthy friends…cuz it’s not going to stop by a skirt….soon it’ll be a wedding and a house etc….

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:05 pm
If your daughters don’t mind pre owned, you can buy hardtail for super cheap on Poshmark.
I buy whenever I see my size in a style I like.
I recently bought a knee length skirt for $20.
My desire for it is not that they’re “in”, it’s that they’re super comfortable. And I can’t afford them new.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:21 pm
To the OP, in Monsey the only store (I know of) that carries hardtail brand is Sareka on Saddle. You can inquire if they still have this style.

Gracie

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 9:30 pm
I think the $160 pricetag is ridiculous and offensive. But. It was important to my 14 year old daughter to have one for camp. We discussed peer pressure, brand names, the value of not giving in to trends etc. She offered to help pay for it and we both agreed to split the cost. When we went to the store to pick it up we had to wait a long time to pay bc the phones were ringing off the hook from Lakewood, Baltimore, Monsey etc with people ordering the Lola skirt, many of them ordering 3 or more!

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 10:39 pm
polka dot, brklyn sthwest and brendas in lkwd carry hardtail
I dont specifically know what the lola skirt is
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics