OP  

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 10:06 pm
LWMO to be specific.
We need a diverse accepting community.
How is Passaic?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 10:16 pm
Prob not the best fit cuz YBH (Hillel) is moving to the right … Bergenfield?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 10:19 pm
Not the best place for LWMO - is there a reason that's pulling you there? You'll be a lot happier and have a lot more like-minded neighbors and shuls and schools in Teaneck or Fairlawn.

amother
Opal  

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 10:26 pm
I don’t live there and I identify (and dress) RW MO but was passing though once and stopped at pizza store and still remember the stares I got from kids (was wearing a baseball cap, 3/4 length sleeve tshirt, knee length skirt and short socks/sneakers) who were wearing cotton tights/knee socks in the summer. I knew then it wasn’t for me. I couldn’t live somewhere that I was viewed as the modern one. If you’re to the left of what I’m describing I’d say look elsewhere. Honestly, NJ has no shortage or LW Mo communities. You’ll find one you’ll fit in with

amother
Magnolia

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 10:29 pm
amother Opal wrote:
I don’t live there and I identify (and dress) RW MO but was passing though once and stopped at pizza store and still remember the stares I got from kids (was wearing a baseball cap, 3/4 length sleeve tshirt, knee length skirt and short socks/sneakers) who were wearing cotton tights/knee socks in the summer. I knew then it wasn’t for me. I couldn’t live somewhere that I was viewed as the modern one. If you’re to the left of what I’m describing I’d say look elsewhere. Honestly, NJ has no shortage or LW Mo communities. You’ll find one you’ll fit in with

I live in Passaic and there are many people that dress the way you described. They were probably just staring because they didn’t know you. For the people that are pizza shop goers, especially kids, they probably know 95% of the people that walk in.

amother
  OP

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 10:33 pm
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
Not the best place for LWMO - is there a reason that's pulling you there? You'll be a lot happier and have a lot more like-minded neighbors and shuls and schools in Teaneck or Fairlawn.

Isn’t Teaneck/fairlawn expensive?

Any other LWMO communities?

Would we fit into highland park?

amother
  Opal

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 10:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Wants expensive to you?

Highland park also runs more to the right.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 11:13 pm
amother OP wrote:

Teaneck and surrounding areas is pretty expensive, which makes sense considering the relatively quick commute to NYC.

Highland park / Edison has two main shuls , so what you hear will depend on who you know Smile
Agudah is very wing black hatters, not modern orthodox. OE (Ohav Emeth ) is modern orthodox and extremely warm and accepting. Across the board, it is a lovely warm community.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 11:57 pm
What about a smaller community like Linden or Springfield?

Are people still moving into New Milford?

joonabug

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 12:27 am
passaic is just as expensive as teaneck. im pretty sure new milford and fairlawn are cheaper. there is also englewood, elizabeth, west orange, springfield, highland park and im sure theres even more.

oohlala  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 4:09 am
There are right wing modern orthodox families in passaic but I’d say not too many. The majority is yeshivish and light yeshiva as well as regular yeshiva style balebatish, so you’d have to be comfortable being in the minority. Passaic is expensive, just as expensive as Bergen county, except the houses are older and all need work. No bargains here. Also I wouldn’t really call passaic diverse.

amother
White  

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 4:13 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Teaneck and surrounding areas is pretty expensive, which makes sense considering the relatively quick commute to NYC.

Highland park / Edison has two main shuls , so what you hear will depend on who you know Smile
Agudah is very wing black hatters, not modern orthodox. OE (Ohav Emeth ) is modern orthodox and extremely warm and accepting. Across the board, it is a lovely warm community.

Your info about HP is totally wrong. Yes, ho has. LWMO community. It’s based around the shul AA, mainly on the south side of town. The LWMO elementary school is RPRY, although some LWMO families sent to Netivot which is Montessori, and some send to hatikvah which is a Hebrew language charter (public) school.

oohlala

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 4:18 am
I would light to add that we are right wing mo living in passaic, but we blend in with everyone else in terms of dress etc. we don’t look super yeshivish, but I cover up in terms of Tznius etc. that tends to work around here. Very few women don’t cover their hair here, or partially cover hair. Most cover fully.
Very few left wing mo here. The shul that’s most left in terms of mo is young Israel or tifereth israel, but they’re not so left, as this is passaic. The yeshivish light shul is adas Israel on Broadway has a totally different vibe.

amother
  White

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 5:13 am
OP, it sounds like highland park is a good option for you. Idk if she’s still here, but Riffy was full of information when I was looking into it.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 6:58 am
I don't know if you're looking for somewhere in general or specifically in the northern/central NJ area, but if the former, what about Cherry Hill?

If the latter... people in this category who I know who are looking for something like this are all moving to Fairlawn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating