Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Rhode Island
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:30 pm
Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Newport/Providence with my husband and looking for all tips! This is the first time in a long time we will be going away alone and since it probably won't happen again I really want to maximize this Smile
Based on threads here, I have the following 'to do':

Beakers mansion
Elms mansion (servant tour)
Touro synagogue
cliff walks
topiary garden

Is there anything else I'm missing? Any ideas for boating?

Are there any kosher restaurants and/or pizza shops there?
Any advice on hotels?

Also, how does transportation work there - do we take our car to our stops/trips or is it better to take public transportation?

Anything I should know? Smile We are hoping to go this week from Monsey NY. If there is any place worthwhile stopping on the way in/out please share!

Thank you !

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:39 pm
Mystic seaport is on the way. I dont know if it is interesting to stop. I have been there a while ago. There used to be Astor House, where they had actors dressed and acted like it is early 1900s. Im not sure they still have that. A boat ride is also very beautiful. How long are you staying, where?

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:58 pm
We stop at Claire’s in New Haven on the way

Drive around or walk around town . It’s not that large

We eat ice cream in Newport: Kilwins and Ben and Jerry’s. We bring real food from home

There’s an orchard nearby for PYO that we enjoy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:58 pm
We are going for 2 nights iyh and 2 1/2 days. If someone can please help provide a day to day itinerary of what makes sense to do each day that would be wonderful!
Where is the best place to obtain the dual tickets? And are they worthwhile if I want to do Beakers and the Elms servant tour?

Thank you all!

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:05 pm
In Rhode Island, Fort Adams is great, if you like history. Also, there is beautiful port right near the welcome center in rhode island that offers different kind of boating. Theres the rum runner for a wet, wild ride.... and also other slower beautiful boat tours.
Trying to remember some others...

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:09 pm
Very easy to take your car there. Parking everywhere and easy to get around.

Shepping

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:11 pm
We stayed in gurneys hotel a few years ago, it wasn't cheap but was really pretty. We did a sail boat and a lighthouse. (And touro and the cliffwalks)

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:18 pm
Just FYI, it's The Breakers (and boy is it fabulous!) Newport is so much fun. You'll have a great time. I don't know if you'll really want to do two mansions. After a while, they kind of look alike. However, maybe the servant tour is different and a "below stairs" look. The combo ticket also covers the Topiary Gardens, so it might pay to do that instead of paying one at a time. I would read the "plan a visit" section of the website.

Touro Synagogue (Shul and Museum--check hours, tours, and admission https://tourosynagogue.org/
Bowens Wharf walk (Americas Cup Avenue) (shops and waterfront marina)
International Tennis Hall of Fame https://www.tennisfame.com/

Breakers https://www.newportmansions.or.....kers/
Cliff Walk https://www.discovernewport.or.....walk/
Servants Tour of the Elms https://www.newportmansions.or.....elms/

Topiary Tour https://www.newportmansions.or.....rden/

Here is information about kosher food. I am not endorsing any hashgacha here, just passing on information:
Food and Restaurants
Packaged kosher food is available at local supermarkets and BJ’s Wholesale Club in Middletown, RI. BJ’s has a kosher bakery and carries OU-certified refrigerated microwaveable meat and dairy meals. The large local hotels like the Viking, Marriott, and Gurney’s may, with pre-arrangement, allow pre-packaged, double-wrapped, kosher meals to be served in their dining rooms. Contact the managers of the hotel restaurants directly to make arrangements.

Two local vegan restaurants are currently under the kosher supervision of Rabbi Barry Dolinger from Providence’s Lighthouse K certification.
Root — 6 Broadway, Newport is a vegan juice bar and restaurant.
Plant City X — 619 W Main Rd, Middletown is a vegan restaurant.

Additional kosher resources can be found in Warwick, RI (such as kosher chicken at Trader Joe’s) and in Providence, RI (including the kosher grocery store Bubbie’s).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:19 pm
Thank you all so much!!
Where is the 'welcome center' you mention that has different boating? I'm clueless Wink
No kosher food right?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:21 pm
WOW! Thank you amother skyblue!!! I will go through the info and come back with questions Smile

It seems The Breakers is a self guided tour, so we can come anytime between 10-5, is that correct?

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:38 pm
Verify the info on the Breakers tour. I seem to recall going once on a tour and another time as a self guided tour.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all so much!!
Where is the 'welcome center' you mention that has different boating? I'm clueless Wink
No kosher food right?

The boating is on the same street as "Bowens Wharf walk (Americas Cup Avenue) (shops and waterfront marina)"
I cant post the links etc. Sorry Sad Maybe google for the "rum runner" and theyll guide you with more boat tours.

Also,since covid the breakers is a self-guided tour. Bring along a device to be able to download the audio and enjoy the tour. I would suggest a guide 2 hours to enjoy all the audios, the gorgeous grounds and the souvenir shop

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:55 pm
I dont know about kosher food. I usually pack food in a cooler with a betty crocker and it works great! (and trips where the kosher food is minimal)

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:56 pm
We rented like three wheel mopads from scooter world and drove down ocean drive. It was incredible! Stop to take it all in and take beach chairs along. Ocean drive is breathtaking!!!!!!!!
Was never there, but check out the Rail Explorer.
Regarding boat rides, there are numerous rides leaving from the marina.https://www.discovernewport.org/things-to-do/beaches-and-water-sports/

I believe there is a ferry to Martha's vineyard/Nuntucket which is stunning stunning beyond!!!!

Enjoy your stay!

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:05 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
We rented like three wheel mopads from scooter world and drove down ocean drive. It was incredible! Stop to take it all in and take beach chairs along. Ocean drive is breathtaking!!!!!!!!
Was never there, but check out the Rail Explorer.
Regarding boat rides, there are numerous rides leaving from the marina.https://www.discovernewport.org/things-to-do/beaches-and-water-sports/

I believe there is a ferry to Martha's vineyard/Nuntucket which is stunning stunning beyond!!!!

Enjoy your stay!

I second rail explorers
So cool and beautiful views

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:38 pm
Thank you all so much! Trying to finalize this..

We will be staying in providence after all - is there anything to do there as it seems all attractions are in Newport? Basically, we will be driving in tomorrow, getting there around 2:00 but would still like to do something then, what is our best choice at that time of day? Straight to Newport to perhaps visit a mansion or anything in providence?

Is the Elms servant tour 'worth it' - I'm wondering as the dual/all tickets seem to not include that 'specialty tour' so trying to figure out what's 'worth it' Wink.

Do we need to book boating in advance? Can we just go to 'bowens Wharf' and likely get something on the spot?

The idea of the Mopads sounds nice as does this rail explorer and martha's vineyards - thanks for the ideas!!

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:54 pm
Roger Williams State Park
https://rwpconservancy.org/
Brown University
https://www.brown.edu/

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:47 pm
just an FYI: Lighthouse K/Rabbi Barry Dolinger is not considered a reliable hashgacha by the mainstream orthodox community in Providence. His shul is "open orthodox" (has had a Rabbah on staff in the past) and most of his congregants would consider themselves "conservadox." I am not saying anything bad about him (he is a very nice, sincere person) or his congregants, but just be aware that his hashgacha is not considered reliable by the other orthodox rabbonim in the city.

Providence is a pretty city, but not so much in the way of tourist attractions.

Definitely recommend the Rail Explorers, which is near Newport.
The topiary gardens is nice, but doesnt' take so much time.
Beaver Tail state park is in Jamestown, across the bridge from newport. Great place to go on a hot day.
Coggeshall Farm Museum in Bristol (also not far from Newport) is supposed to be interesting.
colt state park in bristol is also really pretty.

I think now, all of the tours at the mansions, except the servants life tour and the childrens tour are self guided, with an app.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:55 pm
I stayed in Newport for Shabbos a few years ago and davened at Touro, which is still a functioning Orthodox shul. It was very nice and entry is free on Shabbos lol. I think the current rabbi may be YCT though, so not sure if I would recommend now. AYLOR.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:13 pm
OP does your family need a minyan to daven? If you do where will you daven for shachris mincha and mariv? I’m trying to plan a trip to the same area but we need a minyan and I don’t know how to find that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics