Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Food in Israel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

small bean  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:35 pm
someone wrote:
Does she want to go visit your parents? It sounds like this would be easier if she was on board and almost impossible if she isn't.
Maybe there is a way to bring out food with you that she will eat? If she eats anything in the US that would survive the trip

She does want to see them but she'd be much happier if they came here.

I can bring some food, but not much nutritious food.

It's funny, my other daughter is fine with the food and loves Israel but really wants her own room when we go. She does not like the small apartment thing (all my kids have their own bedrooms)..

amother
  Freesia  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:49 pm
small bean wrote:
She does want to see them but she'd be much happier if they came here.

I can bring some food, but not much nutritious food.

It's funny, my other daughter is fine with the food and loves Israel but really wants her own room when we go. She does not like the small apartment thing (all my kids have their own bedrooms)..

small bean, you won't like what I say ask I try a gently as possible.
Leave your daughters at home and come on your own. Seriously. Who needs a picky 17 year old and another one who isn't prepared to share her room?

Reality  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:55 pm
small bean wrote:
What American brand? She only eats one brand here...

I think it tastes like a cross between the j&j whipped and the bars. Not as dense as a bar but not as fluffy as the whipped.

small bean  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:59 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
small bean, you won't like what I say ask I try a gently as possible.
Leave your daughters at home and come on your own. Seriously. Who needs a picky 17 year old and another one who isn't prepared to share her room?

Actually love it. I've come on my own and would again but my mom wants my girls also. And my daughter who doesn't like sharing a room will be fine. I'm not worried about her. My point was everyone has their things.

small bean  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:59 pm
Reality wrote:
I think it tastes like a cross between the j&j whipped and the bars. Not as dense as a bar but not as fluffy as the whipped.

Thanks. She probably won't eat it, but I will buy it when we come next.

essie14

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:38 pm
They sell Philadelphia cream cheese here and tons of other imported American products.

anothermother6

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:53 pm
There are some really soft white breads that are more pricey like Berman's brioche and Angel's American style bread. They're the little square slices and they taste like a cloud...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:57 pm
My mother is visiting me in Israel now with a very picky 10 year old. She’s crying all day that she’s hungry. She loves French fries, so I made a tray but she refused to eat it because it was “weird”…
It’s hard with picky eaters.

Elfrida  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:00 am
anothermother6 wrote:
There are some really soft white breads that are more pricey like Berman's brioche and Angel's American style bread. They're the little square slices and they taste like a cloud...

Whatever a cloud tastes like...

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:15 am
small bean wrote:
What is it about the regular foods in Israel that picky eaters don't like it? I'm talking water, milk, cheese, bread etc.

im assuming its just not what they are used to if they are from some place else.
My daughter is a picky eater. She was born in israel. She is not picky about the things you mentioned.
Each picky eater will be picky about different things.
I dont think it has rmto do with ig being davka food in israel.

amother
  Freesia  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:15 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
My mother is visiting me in Israel now with a very picky 10 year old. She’s crying all day that she’s hungry. She loves French fries, so I made a tray but she refused to eat it because it was “weird”…
It’s hard with picky eaters.

I feel sorry for your mother and for you. The kid doesn't deserve a trip to Israel if she can't cope with food which isn't exactly to her taste.

Reality  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:19 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
im assuming its just not what they are used to if they are from some place else.
My daughter is a picky eater. She was born in israel. She is not picky about the things you mentioned.
Each picky eater will be picky about different things.
I dont think it has rmto do with ig being davka food in israel.

Exactly. My kids are not picky eaters at all but when we first moved here they all commented that certain foods taste different. Like chicken, meat, and cheese. Now they are so used to the Israeli taste when we traveled back to the US, so many of the old foods they loved didn't taste right anymore.

rgr

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:24 am
amother Freesia wrote:
Being picky isn't an eating disorder but she should realize she can overcome if she wants to. Younger children can get away with pickiness but it a certain age it's quite normal and expected to be able to eat basic regular foods.

Extreme picky eating absolutely is an eating disorder.
It's called AARFID
It's linked with extreme anxiety and takes lots of work to overcome.

ora_43

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:37 am
Since she's 17 I'd leave this one up to her.

I'd strongly push for sensory therapy. It sounds like her eating is pretty restricted, to the point where it's probably not super healthy even in the states. And now it's restricting her ability to travel and see family. Why live like that?

But ultimately it's up to her. If she's motivated to overcome this, she can try sensory therapy, or keep trying different foods in Israel until she finds one she likes, or just find a way to be OK with eating food she doesn't like (although for some people that in itself would require sensory therapy).

If she'd rather stay home, she can do that. I think it's a bad decision but at 17 she's old enough to make it.

JMHO.

The one thing she can't do is come along, then be cranky all the time because she's hungry. I'd get her agreement to that up front. Again just IMHO.

amother
  Freesia  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:14 am
ora_43 wrote:
Since she's 17 I'd leave this one up to her.

I'd strongly push for sensory therapy. It sounds like her eating is pretty restricted, to the point where it's probably not super healthy even in the states. And now it's restricting her ability to travel and see family. Why live like that?

But ultimately it's up to her. If she's motivated to overcome this, she can try sensory therapy, or keep trying different foods in Israel until she finds one she likes, or just find a way to be OK with eating food she doesn't like (although for some people that in itself would require sensory therapy).

If she'd rather stay home, she can do that. I think it's a bad decision but at 17 she's old enough to make it.

JMHO.

The one thing she can't do is come along, then be cranky all the time because she's hungry. I'd get her agreement to that up front. Again just IMHO.

Agree with every word. And anyone who's going to whine about food issue should stay at home. Nobody likes a whiny food complainer.

amother
  DarkOrange

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 7:48 am
That's pretty extreme for a 17 yo, acceptable at 7 yo.
She should go for help, that's really too much for that age person.
I'd go without her if she doesn't decide to deal with it like an adult.

small bean  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:12 am
This thread was about the food not whether she should come or not. She's 17, she can make these decisions on her own.

At home, she takes care of her food mostly herself, it's a non-issue.

I just don't get how does milk taste different in different countries. Like what's different about the cows?

juggling

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:16 am
small bean wrote:
This thread was about the food not whether she should come or not. She's 17, she can make these decisions on her own.

I just don't get how does milk taste different in different countries. Like what's different about the cows?

Everything. They're eating a different diet, breathing different air, drinking different water. And their milk is different. It may also be due to levels or methods of pasteurization that change the taste, even added vitamins or minerals. Or the types of containers it's stored in during processing. I don't notice these minor differences and how they affect taste, but I guess your daughter does.

Reality  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:19 am
small bean wrote:

I'm assuming they are fed different food.

It's interesting you think it tastes more watery. I think it tastes richer and creamier than American milk. Everyone's taste buds are different.

small bean  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 8:20 am
You think k the milk is richer?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions