Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Food in Israel
1  2  3  Next

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 12:46 pm
What is it about the regular foods in Israel that picky eaters don't like it? I'm talking water, milk, cheese, bread etc.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 12:48 pm
The food does taste different, heavenly and amazing! But picky eaters are just rigid in food everywhere they go and don't do change well.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 12:48 pm
It tastes very different compared to American food. The water has a stronger taste. Milk is more watery. Cheese is more serious cheese. I happen to think the pizza is amazing though and it’s one food I really miss from my sem days.

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 12:50 pm
Funny, she eats pizza everyday but could not eat Israeli pizza. My mom is begging us to come again, we went for a month last timeand food is one of the reasons j don't want to go.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 12:55 pm
small bean wrote:
Funny, she eats pizza everyday but could not eat Israeli pizza. My mom is begging us to come again, we went for a month last timeand food is one of the reasons j don't want to go.

If you go for a short time you can find some American products in big groceries. It’s pricier but might be an option.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 12:57 pm
Well you can do foods that are better there. Bread, butter, buy American products in some stores like cereal, ketchup, use chocolate milk instead of regular milk, frozen yogurt instead of ice cream, falafel, shwarma, if you do Watermelon, cucumbers are better, they have all the snacks we import to chutz, rice, couscous, bourekas.

Try not to offer exact replacements or will notice the difference. I used to be picky kid and I am glad I visited my grandparents and drove everyone nuts with the food, it was worth it, bring peanut butter along.

juggling

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:02 pm
Lol. I would never have thought of such a thing. Bottom line, picky eaters like what they're used to. I bet picky eaters from Israel won't like the food in America. It's not that it's better or worse, but it is different. It has to be, the air is different, things grow differently.

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:25 pm
She didn't like the bread and she never eats butter or pb.

We ĥad American cereal but she didn't like the milk.

She's 17. Hungry teens are not fun.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:25 pm
juggling wrote:
Lol. I would never have thought of such a thing. Bottom line, picky eaters like what they're used to. I bet picky eaters from Israel won't like the food in America. It's not that it's better or worse, but it is different. It has to be, the air is different, things grow differently.

This is definitely true! My picky israeli dd went to visit america last year and did not like american food. The cottage cheese was bad, the milk was weird, the water was even worse, she wouldn't even taste the bread. . .

The same food in different countries tastes different. Fruits and vegetables too. I made aliyah over 20 years ago and still miss American cucumbers, but all the Israelis and Olim will tell you I'm nuts because most people here think the American cucumbers are better. However, there are plenty of fruits and vegetables here which are amazing.

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:36 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
If you go for a short time you can find some American products in big groceries. It’s pricier but might be an option.

She's picky in America also. But she didn't even like cake. It was so weird.

She doesn't eat things like yogurt ever. But I mean things like bread and milk.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:25 pm
small bean wrote:

How about she should teach out for help?
If she doesn't want to she need to know she has to get used to what food there is.
Time to grow up.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:27 pm
small bean wrote:
Who has the food issue? You or your daughter?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:55 pm
There are so many different types of breads in Israel. How many did she try?
Pizza - no two pizza stores' pizza tastes the same, so how can she discount them all? I think Dr. Toast on Shmuel Hanavi St tastes very American. Did she try Uri's Pizza, Pizza Hut, My Pizza, Pizza City etc.
You can also buy shredded mozarella and make homemade pizza. I use the same recipe I used in America.
Milk - try different brands and different fat percentages.
Cottage cheese is creamier here - yum!
Cream cheese - there are different brands and some taste more American.

But honestly, it sounds like she needs feeding therapy if she can't find one thing to eat. Is she never going to move to another city or state after she gets married because they won't have the same local pizza store?

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:00 pm
She eats frozen pizza, you can get that anywhere in the US.

She tried tons of pizza, tons of bread and all the milk. My mother is best and really tried to accommodate her.

And I totally agree, being extremely picky is an eating disorder, but I was similar (not as extrme) and pregnancy and breastfeeding cured me.

There's something in the flour. She doesn't eat cottage cheese and cream cheese is a different product in Israel. We brought American cheese for my parents, so technically she could've had that.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:23 pm
small bean wrote:

She tried tons of pizza, tons of bread and all the milk. My mother is best and really tried to accommodate her.

And I totally agree, being extremely picky is an eating disorder, but I was similar (not as extrme) and pregnancy and breastfeeding cured me.

There's something in the flour. She doesn't eat cottage cheese and cream cheese is a different product in Israel. We brought American cheese for my parents, so technically she could've had that.

Being picky isn't an eating disorder but she should realize she can overcome if she wants to. Younger children can get away with pickiness but it a certain age it's quite normal and expected to be able to eat basic regular foods.

Reality

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:27 pm
small bean wrote:

The napoleon brand gevinah shamenet 25% tastes just like American cream cheese.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:28 pm
small bean wrote:
What is it about the regular foods in Israel that picky eaters don't like it? I'm talking water, milk, cheese, bread etc.

Sounds like someone who is very rigid in her habits. Eventually she'll learn to deal with it.

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:28 pm
Reality wrote:
The napoleon brand gevinah shamenet 25% tastes just like American cream cheese.

What American brand? She only eats one brand here...

small bean

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:29 pm
DrMom wrote:
Sounds like someone who is very rigid in her habits. Eventually she'll learn to deal with it.

Only with food. Everything else she's super chilled.

someone

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:30 pm
small bean wrote:

Does she want to go visit your parents? It sounds like this would be easier if she was on board and almost impossible if she isn't.
Maybe there is a way to bring out food with you that she will eat? If she eats anything in the US that would survive the trip
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions