Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Is your bedroom messier than the rest of the house?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Hyssop  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:46 am
Yes, my bedroom is usually very clean/ neat. I have my bed in it, 2 night stands, a fireplace and small seating area with 2 chairs and a small table between them. We don't get dressed in here or use it for much other than sleeping or hanging out to chat on shabbos. I have a walk in closet with doors on everything so no one would ever see the mess. My makeup vanity stays neat since I put away what I use, as I use it. In the mornings, after the kids leave, I take 15 minutes to put away things out in everyone's bedrooms, make beds and then do the few dishes in the sinks. Stick up a load of laundry, toss in a crockpot meal and start working. 8 hours later, I come up for air and the kids get home to a reasonably kept house and a warm dinner. If I stick to my routine, everything stays manageable. DH folds the laundry and put away at night and that's it.

amother
  Phlox  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:59 am
amother Maple wrote:
What does vacht nacht mean?

There's no such thing. Do you mean Vach Nacht?

emee2

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:03 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
Yes, my bedroom is usually very clean/ neat. I have my bed in it, 2 night stands, a fireplace and small seating area with 2 chairs and a small table between them. We don't get dressed in here or use it for much other than sleeping or hanging out to chat on shabbos. I have a walk in closet with doors on everything so no one would ever see the mess. My makeup vanity stays neat since I put away what I use, as I use it. In the mornings, after the kids leave, I take 15 minutes to put away things out in everyone's bedrooms, make beds and then do the few dishes in the sinks. Stick up a load of laundry, toss in a crockpot meal and start working. 8 hours later, I come up for air and the kids get home to a reasonably kept house and a warm dinner. If I stick to my routine, everything stays manageable. DH folds the laundry and put away at night and that's it.

Do you work from home? Is your work day 8hrs? When do you do personal stuff like appointments, cleaning etc. I’m asking because I need to get my self organized and in struggling with my current remote job which has no set hours.

amother
  Hyssop

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:09 am
emee2 wrote:
Do you work from home? Is your work day 8hrs? When do you do personal stuff like appointments, cleaning etc. I’m asking because I need to get my self organized and in struggling with my current remote job which has no set hours.

Usually working from home. Once a week, I may have in NYC day and then I'm out of the house early but back by 4. I find a routine is critical when working from home. Appointments are after 4 or I start work later to do them in the am. Those days are harder, obviously, but I'll skip the dishes and laundry and still make beds as I shoo kids out of bed. Dinner is a must so I plan for busier days to have a crockpot meal waiting and the rice cooker set to go. Kids can come home and feed themselves, start homework, etc. while I finish working. I don't officially have set hours but I treat my job as a typical office one - it's 8-4 or 9-5. Rarely, 10-6.

joy613

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:29 am
amother Maple wrote:
What does vacht nacht mean?

Vach nacht means "watch night" That's the night the malachaim are watching/guarding the baby.

flyakite

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:44 am
What you've been meaning to say is "Git Voch", a good week

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:58 am
My entire house is chaos, always

baked ziti

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:24 am
I make a conscious effort to keep my room neat. Beds get made every morning. Clothing gets hung up right away, rather than just being left on the beds. Those two things alone make a huge difference. When I leave my room in the morning I take cups, tissues... out with me. My room gets vacuumed and wiped down weekly (furniture, door, windowsills). Linen gets washed weekly.
I have my only 2 small sentimental knickknacks in my dresser. Otherwise my room is bare.

amother
  Phlox

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:40 am
joy613 wrote:
Vach nacht means "watch night" That's the night the malachaim are watching/guarding the baby.

It also means awake night, alluding to the Minhag some have of staying up and receiving words of Torah

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:48 am
Exactly flyakite 😉
Spell check at it it’s best 😚
I’m so sorry to the op who changed this topic..
carry on..

finprof

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:51 am
I didn't read everything but, yes my bedroom is messy whereas the "public" rooms of the house are always neat.

happy chick  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:59 am
TheCoolMom wrote:
I’m the opposite. My house can be upside down and a complete disaster but I need my room to be neat. It’s the one space in my home that we can escape the chaos.
We also don’t let any kids into our room which is helpful.

Same. My room is my safe haven and my sanity space.

My kids do occasionally come into my room, although I wish they didn't.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:32 am
bigsis144 wrote:
My entire house is chaos, always

I prefer to call it an organized mess. I know where everything is but if a stranger would walk into my home, they wouldn't find a thing *smirk*
Same with my room, things are all over the place but I like it like that. If you were to walk in though, I think it's safe to assume you'd call a cleaning crew.

amother
  Yolk

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:15 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Yes and no. I do try once a week to clean it up and make it the cleanest room. In my brain my room has to be spotless because it's my קודש הקדשים. I hardly ever let my cleaning lady to it because I consider it a privilege to clean the room where one of the biggest mitzvah is done.

One of the biggest mitzvos? Who told you that? There is no chart of the Top Ten or Top 100 mitzvos, and we have no idea what the relative "values" of the mitzvos is. The closest we come to any "assigned value" is either the relative penalties for transgression (which usually means committing a forbidden act, though there are exceptions) or the even more rare case in which the reward is specified, to wit "Lemaan yaarichun yamecha" which is mentioned for both Kibbud av VaEm and most non-intuitively, Shiluach haKen.

Do you routinely have wild birds incubating eggs in your bedroom?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:41 pm
Yes. BECAUSE my room is my haven

happy chick

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:01 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
One of the biggest mitzvos? Who told you that? There is no chart of the Top Ten or Top 100 mitzvos, and we have no idea what the relative "values" of the mitzvos is. The closest we come to any "assigned value" is either the relative penalties for transgression (which usually means committing a forbidden act, though there are exceptions) or the even more rare case in which the reward is specified, to wit "Lemaan yaarichun yamecha" which is mentioned for both Kibbud av VaEm and most non-intuitively, Shiluach haKen.

Do you routinely have wild birds incubating eggs in your bedroom?

Seems like some are of the opinion, like I was taught, that a couples bedroom is compared to the kodesh kodoshim (literal translation - holy of holiest). Kol hakavod to anyone who doesnt allow their cleaning lady into their "holy of holiest". Regardless of exactly how "great" is the mitzvos that happen in that room.

AlwaysHoping

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
Or am I the only one?! My house is (generally) neat and clean, obviously there's messy times but it's important to me, but my room.. huge mess, never seem to have the time to properly clean it, I like to have nice bedding and furniture etc but I wish it had the priority of the dining room etc..
I guess I'm looking for tips if anyone else has this downpat or if you can relate and tell me what works for you? I hate going to sleep every night in messy room but at that point just too tired to clean it...

Yes!! I can totally relate!! I'm not the neatest by nature, but somehow make it work for the rest of the house.
I do make the beds daily tho- some things were ingrained in me!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 5:11 pm
Since I took Chaya Reich's marriage course, I really try to put more effort into keeping my room neat. I found it's really a matter of priorities. It's the part of the home where I invite the shechina into, and therefore should be prioritised over the dining room.

If you have learned the torah sources for intimacy, you'll understand what I mean.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 5:15 pm
Why though? There’s no food or children in there. Two adults can’t keep a room clean?

zaq

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 5:24 pm
I suspect that a lot of people do bring food into their room, especially treats they don't care to share with the kiddies.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry