Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How do you have private conversations?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:35 am
Old house with no soundproofing. Teen stays up all hours. When, where, and how do you have private conversations?

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 2:39 am
Back yard, in the car, with the bedroom door locked.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:15 am
mha3484 wrote:
Back yard, in the car, with the bedroom door locked.

I get sitting in the car in the backyard, but how would having the bedroom door locked help that?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 3:22 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
I get sitting in the car in the backyard, but how would having the bedroom door locked help that?

Because the kids notice the bedroom door is locked and try to listen there not realizing you’re really in the backyard in the car.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 4:21 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
Because the kids notice the bedroom door is locked and try to listen there not realizing you’re really in the backyard in the car.

AMOTHER, I LOVE YOU!!!! LOL LOL LOL

essie14

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 5:12 am
We take a walk or go in the car.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 5:16 am
When I have a zoom meeting or phone conversation that I need privacy for, I walk over to the hotel next block and sit into the lounge.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:53 am
Whisper in the bedroom or we call each other during the day on a lunch break and speak on the phone.

amother
Almond

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:19 am
Place a noise Machine outside your door.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:38 am
amother Almond wrote:
Place a noise Machine outside your door.

They will just turn it off

Lucky Princess

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:59 am
In the car. That's the only way we get some privacy!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:17 am
My teenagers wouldn't deliberately sabotage efforts to keep a private conversation private. Maybe they'd be quiet to try to hear more if they were in earshot, but things like turning off a sound machine?!
We have a home where I respect my kids' privacy and they respect ours. Sure, they're curious but this whole thread is beyond me. If we go outside, they're not going to follow us to deliberately eavesdrop.

I've had private conversations with kids' teachers on the phone where I went into a room downstairs and told my kids I needed them to go upstairs since I was on a private conversation and they listened (and then tried guessing, always incorrectly!, if it was about them, etc)

Change the culture in your homes, there should be respect for privacy when talking about this age old enough to know better.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:20 am
In the morning. Even if they’re home they’re sleeping.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:22 am
You wait for them to grow up and move out What

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:25 am
Sound machine by the door, inside my room

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:34 am
We try to have these discussions during the day on the phone when kids aren't home. Or at night in our room. Kids can't casually hear us, they would need to actively try to eavesdrop. If they hear something they shouldn't then they have to deal with the consequences of their feelings around it. Its not their business. If they ask me about something they overheard (let's say we didn't realize they were near the kitchen when we spoke), I just tell them I wasn't talking to them and it's non of their business.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:45 am
Go for a walk

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 12:09 pm
I remember my friend telling me, when the kids are young you get your house to yourself in the evening but need a babysitter to get out. When your kids are older, you don't get your house or evenings to yourself but you it's easier to get out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children