Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How can someone do this?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 6:23 am
I got a job recently where my boss was paying me a certain amount by the hour. After a week of being there he was really impressed with my work and gave me a raise. After a month of working there he tells me that he can’t pay me so much anymore because it’s not in the budget. They said that since there will be more hours in the summer he would need to pay me a Monty salary and not by the hour. We had already agreed on hours and price and now he was taking back what he said?? The monthly salary would be 15 dollars less per hour!! I am so upset, you don’t do that to your employee!!! Unfortunately I didn’t sign a contact.

amother
Wandflower

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 6:28 am
I would say I'm leaving and see what happens. If he doesn't keep the rate how you discussed find yourself another job and sign a contract.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 6:33 am
That’s really frustrating. Truthfully I would be grateful you didn’t sign a contract because they likely would have fired you if you had been locked into a rate they could not afford

Either accept it or don’t, or start looking for a new job

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 6:46 am
Start looking for a new job. This is a boss who will take advantage of you left, right, and center.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 6:48 am
You didn't sign a contract, so you can just leave.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 6:48 am
He sounds beyond unprofessional and inexperienced. Is he starting a new business? Are you his first employee?

ClassySass

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 6:50 am
Try to negotiate in a professional way and start looking for a new job today!

When someone show you who they are, believe them the first time ~ Maya Angelou

This is a great mantra to live by, especially when it comes to business/bosses.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 6:59 am
Your question is how can someone do this? And the answer is, they can only do it if they get away with it. You need to be confident and firm and say that this will not be acceptable, and if he can only pay you $x monthly salary, you will take that and divide it by the agreed upon hourly rate, and you will work those hours. Simple as that.

Oh and start looking for a new job.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 7:11 am
amother OP wrote:
I got a job recently where my boss was paying me a certain amount by the hour. After a week of being there he was really impressed with my work and gave me a raise. After a month of working there he tells me that he can’t pay me so much anymore because it’s not in the budget. They said that since there will be more hours in the summer he would need to pay me a Monty salary and not by the hour. We had already agreed on hours and price and now he was taking back what he said?? The monthly salary would be 15 dollars less per hour!! I am so upset, you don’t do that to your employee!!! Unfortunately I didn’t sign a contact.

You ask how anyone could do that?
This us how. If you didnt sign anything, then nothing is binding for anyone. You could technically leave with no notice as well.

Its so important to sign a contract when starting a job.

chanatron1000

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 7:14 am
mushkamothers wrote:
You didn't sign a contract, so you can just leave.

Yes, at will works both ways.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 7:19 am
amother OP wrote:

Speak up and start looking for a new job.

I agree with the others - he is showing.you his true colors. I wouldn't want to work for a boss who readily changes up his terms without consideration. Who knows what else it will transfer over too.

If you do work things out - get EVERYTHING in writing. Include every little detail - even your working hours on Friday, vacation days etc. If he doesn't want to do that, that's a greater sign that he has no intention of keeping his words and wants to change things up as he pleases.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics