Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Worse off after stopping the shot, anyone else?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:32 am
I started on ozempic switched to Mounjaro. I lost weight so easily initially. I have pcos and since I was barely eating I stopped watching my sugars. Before the shot I was low carb for years bc of my pcos. Over time the shot stopped working as well but I had developed bad eating habits and no longer low carb. I also had a larger appetite again. Then I switched insurances and couldn’t get the shot covered so I’m like 20 lbs above starting weight. I don’t blame the shot itself, it’s me using it wrong. Instead of sticking to my low carb eating and seeing the shot as a boost, I went meshugena on eating high sugar for months and as the shot wore off and then I stopped taking it I ballooned. I started watching myself a month ago and lost about 7-8 lbs so far but I’m still significantly bigger (was like 30 lbs above starting the shot) and I think going off the shot made my metabolism even worse.

I’m very frustrated with my choices but I’m curious if anyone else gained weight after the shot. If you have the shot, take it from me to watch your dietary habits on the shot. I wish I had.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:42 am
This is common issue people report.

The big problem is that the shot changes your appetite in the short term. It doesnt change your mentality.

Us fat people have fat eating habits even when we are not eating much. We have to work to change our habits and mentality which is much harder than just taking a shot.

Signed someone who is on mounjaro and losing ver moderately and never had the booming success others seem to report.

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:52 am
Yesssss I lost so nice and once I went off I got back my appetite 100000 times more!!!!

amother
Currant  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:55 am
OP I literally just saw a video online from a trainer explaining that one of ozempic's (and mounjaro) side effects is muscle loss. It doesnt only help lose weight, it also decreases your muscle.
He said this is important because if after stopping the shot you go back to normal eating habits, then not only do you return to your baseline but you can actually be in a worse situation than originally because now not only are you eating the same as before, now you also dont have all your body muscle to use up the calories you eat (muscle use burns up more calories).

So essentially, people can impair their body's ability to use up calories by reducing their muscle mass with ozempic/mounjaro

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:18 am
The shot only works as a forever option. A person has to decide to take it forever if they want the weight gone forever. Same as any other weightloss method. When you stop doing it, you gain it all back plus some.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 11:56 am
If someone regularly works out while taking the shots, do they retain their muscle?

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:14 pm
Wait!!! I thought it was a miracle solution to all of life’s problems!!!

I’m being sarcastic. I am a Registered Dietitian who is consistently asked about it and when I am not supportive, I am told it’s because I feel my business is threatened.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:20 pm
amother Topaz wrote:

I’m being sarcastic. I am a Registered Dietitian who is consistently asked about it and when I am not supportive, I am told it’s because I feel my business is threatened.

Not surprising….and quite ignorant of them. It’s really not a miracle like people insist, and even on the med it’s necessary to keep on an eating plan.

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:32 pm
Question:

If the shots improve my overall health and ability to exercise and put on muscle, is it possible for me then to use that to boost my overall metabolism?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 2:05 pm
amother Topaz wrote:

Disclaimer- I hv no issue with any body type. Noone should diet if they don't want. I'm in my 40s and even though I was very thin my whole life I have to work hard to lose weight and keep my weight the same with daily exercise and being very careful with what I eat.

However I feel like people always say that they've tried everything and going on a diet and eating less doesn't work for them.

The reason why these shots work is because you lose your appetite and therefore you eat less. The obvious logical conclusion is that before you were eating too much...it's just because before it was hard to stick with it with a normal appetite, now you don't want the good to begin with.

If it really was a hormonal problem or a birth control problem or genetic problem that no matter what you do nothing works, then why would decreasing your food intake suddenly work??

amother
  Currant

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 2:43 pm

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 2:53 pm
amother Amber wrote:
Disclaimer- I hv no issue with any body type. Noone should diet if they don't want. I'm in my 40s and even though I was very thin my whole life I have to work hard to lose weight and keep my weight the same with daily exercise and being very careful with what I eat.

However I feel like people always say that they've tried everything and going on a diet and eating less doesn't work for them.

The reason why these shots work is because you lose your appetite and therefore you eat less. The obvious logical conclusion is that before you were eating too much...it's just because before it was hard to stick with it with a normal appetite, now you don't want the good to begin with.

If it really was a hormonal problem or a birth control problem or genetic problem that no matter what you do nothing works, then why would decreasing your food intake suddenly work??

And I’ll say to that, even with the shots I’m not losing so drastically. Without it was impossible!!
I’m taking them for 8 months and lost 25 pounds. (And I can easily lose another 75 to get to an average weight not a thin weight)
And yes at this point in my mind I will probably have to be on it for life.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:06 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
This is common issue people report.

The big problem is that the shot changes your appetite in the short term. It doesnt change your mentality.

Us fat people have fat eating habits even when we are not eating much. We have to work to change our habits and mentality which is much harder than just taking a shot.

Signed someone who is on mounjaro and losing ver moderately and never had the booming success others seem to report.

Same here. If I stayed low carb I probably would have had much more success. But the underlying sugar addict came out.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:07 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Question:

If the shots improve my overall health and ability to exercise and put on muscle, is it possible for me then to use that to boost my overall metabolism?

Probably not significantly because the shot causes loss of muscle and regardless some weight comes back after stopping even with a diet.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:09 pm
amother Amber wrote:

The shot not only affects appetite but hormones as well, and many of us taking it are diabetic or pre diabetic and as a result can’t lose much without diabetic medication, which this is.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:09 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
And I’ll say to that, even with the shots I’m not losing so drastically. Without it was impossible!!
I’m taking them for 8 months and lost 25 pounds. (And I can easily lose another 75 to get to an average weight not a thin weight)

I would be on for life but I didn’t have kids yet and you can’t use it pregnant

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:34 pm
amother Maroon wrote:

Wow! So happy to hear someone else saying this. I'm losing about 1 pound a week and that's with being very careful with what I'm eating. I don't eat after 6 pm. and eating high protein. Drinking tons of water. And working out. It seems like the weight is just falling off of everyone else. And before the shots I was eating the same way I was eating now and losing maybe 1/2 a pound a week. My body just barely responds to anything.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:47 pm
I also have lost very little. And the little that I lost is not from loss of appetite but from eating less due to stomach issues. I still have cravings.
However I still think it’s worth it BH because if I wasn’t on it I would still be gaining.

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:49 pm
The shots affect the satiety and cravings hormones. They quiet the food noise.
Eating less when you aren't constantly thinking of food and having cravings and feeling hungry is a whole different ballpark. Eating less when you feel full after a small amount is not the same as being hungry for more and willpowering yourself to just stop anyway.

Most people taking shots have a messed up metabolism and hormones from years and years of dieting while hungry and cravings. Needing to watch yourself after 40 is not the same at all.

I happen not to be on shots but it makes so much sense why people are.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 3:50 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
I also have lost very little. And the little that I lost is not from loss of appetite but from eating less due to stomach issues. I still have cravings.
However I still think it’s worth it BH because if I wasn’t on it I would still be gaining.

I have the same experience.
I have about 60 or 70 lbs to lose and I probably lost 10 over the past 4 months.
I know I would have gained if I did not use the shot.
This shot is a bracha for me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise