Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Crunchy moms- what baby formula have you used?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 6:03 pm
I used the babys only. Had latching issues which made my milk come im very late etc etc. It was better than similac but still formula. Doesnt have high fructose corn syrup as thr first ingredient. I regret not taking milk from a gemach. I was just so grossed out but honestly formula is just not….

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:16 pm
Baby’s only

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:46 pm
Kendamil or Baby's Only.

readreread  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 7:59 pm
I've used Holle, Bubs, and Bobbie. Bubs was the most cost effective, I think. Holle came in a box and so I had to use a separate container to keep it airtight (and it had a really short expiration date). Bobbie was really expensive.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 10:19 pm
Are any of the milk based organic formula cholov yisroel? They don’t seem to be kosher

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 10:28 pm
smss wrote:
Totally normal to not be able to pump anything before giving birth and doesn't mean you'll have issues after.

Before your milk comes in, you'll produce colostrum which is everything your baby needs for those first few days. Newborns have tiny tiny stomachs and colostrum is incredibly nutrient dense!

OP be very very careful listening to advice like this. This is NOT true. Having no breast milk for the first 2-4 days is literally DEADLY. Infants have DIED of dehydration and starvation after just TWO days of life because their mothers kept being told that they should just keep nursing and their body will naturally be able to provide what their baby needs. Many many other infants have suffered serious complications like jaundice, seizures, and even permanent brain damage from lack of sufficient nutrition during the first few days of life. These were not neglected babies, these babies mothers were nursing them around the clock yet they still suffered.

Despite what many crunchy moms like to think, there are absolutely circumstances where mothers will not produce what their baby needs even if they are doing “everything right”. Even if your baby won’t die, it may be starving for days or weeks or even months. This is a critical time for brain development and if you need to give formula so your baby isn’t starving and crying around the clock GIVE IT. Starving a baby is not a mitzvah.

There is a reason that people say “fed is best”.

https://fedisbest.org/2015/04/.....ding/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12949292/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....6303/

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 10:57 pm
Hi I makey own formula with raw goats milk. My baby is currently 5 months old,I nurse a bit but have a very low supply despite all hishtadlus. He's mostly on donors milk but gets around 1-2 bottles a day from this.

Makes 32 oz, good for a whole day, can be bagged in breast milk bags to be ready to go or measured ready into bottles kept refrigerated.

1. Pour 2 cups goat milk into a big pitcher or container. Add 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup.
2. Pour 1 C boiling water into separate measuring cup and add 2 Tablespoons organic unrefined sugar and dissolve with whisk.
3. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons unrefined coconut oil and 1 teaspoon molasses, whisk to make sure solid oil melts
4. Add in 1 1/2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast flakes
5. Add 1/4 teaspoon acerola powder (vit c)
6. Add filtered water to the measuring cup just so it is a bit more than 2 Cups total mixture and pour into pitcher. Stir well and measure out into bottles or bags. Can freeze easily.

In one bottle daily, I would add vitamin D drops and fish oils. The sweeteners are necessary to mimic breastmilk as much as possible. I would warm up a bottle by placing the bag or bottle in very hot water and shake until warmed.

readreread  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 7:43 am
amother Jade wrote:
Are any of the milk based organic formula cholov yisroel? They don’t seem to be kosher

Many are not. I received a heter because my baby was losing weight rapidly and the doctors recommended triple feeding. It might be rav dependent but I would suspect that if a baby's only way to survive was to consume formula, most would allow it. (Some are kosher in other countries, so some rabbis might allow without a heter.)

Last edited by readreread on Sun, Jun 16 2024, 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

smss  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:01 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
OP be very very careful listening to advice like this. This is NOT true. Having no breast milk for the first 2-4 days is literally DEADLY. Infants have DIED of dehydration and starvation after just TWO days of life because their mothers kept being told that they should just keep nursing and their body will naturally be able to provide what their baby needs. Many many other infants have suffered serious complications like jaundice, seizures, and even permanent brain damage from lack of sufficient nutrition during the first few days of life. These were not neglected babies, these babies mothers were nursing them around the clock yet they still suffered.

Despite what many crunchy moms like to think, there are absolutely circumstances where mothers will not produce what their baby needs even if they are doing “everything right”. Even if your baby won’t die, it may be starving for days or weeks or even months. This is a critical time for brain development and if you need to give formula so your baby isn’t starving and crying around the clock GIVE IT. Starving a baby is not a mitzvah.

Yikes... if you knew me you'd know that starving your baby for the sake of avoiding formula is not something I'd EVER advise.

If a baby is truly not getting enough from nursing then yes, please PLEASE give formula (it doesn't have to be crunchy organic formula).

However. It's also true that the normal, biological process of breastfeeding is to only have colostrum for the first 3-4 days until the mature milk comes in, and IF everything is going right (baby is latching well, no true supply issues which are pretty rare, baby is being fed on demand) then they will do fine with just colostrum.

Signs to check for are enough wet/dirty diapers, not too much weight loss (weight loss is normal the first few days but shouldn't be more than 5-7% of birth weight), and baby being satisfied and content after feedings.
https://kellymom.com/bf/got-mi.....rmal.

If those aren't happening there is something going on- usually a latch issue at that stage- but the issue isn't that it's only colostrum and not mature milk yet. That was all I was trying to say...

smss

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:03 am
Also please never ever give a baby homemade formula and never give ANYONE (especially a baby!!!) raw milk!

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:44 am
readreread wrote:
I've used Holle, Bubs, and Bobbie. Bubs was the most cost effective, I think. Holle came in a box and so I had to use a separate container to keep it airtight (and it had a really short expiration date). Bobbie was really expensive.

Thank you!
Know if it had any form of kosher certification?

mummiedearest  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 11:03 am
smss wrote:
Also please never ever give a baby homemade formula and never give ANYONE (especially a baby!!!) raw milk!

Lol. Formula is called formula because pediatricians used to be trained to evaluate babies’ individual nutritional needs and would give parents customized formulas (recipes) to make at home. This art is lost, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, in the US, formulas must contain corn syrup (which is otherwise recommended against for infants) and generally contains highly processed oils in order to contain the proper levels of carbs and fats. Quality of nutrition does matter, and while I did formula-feed one child out of necessity, I would have loved to have a recipe to make at home instead of what I used. Formula companies have spent decades creating an impression that their products are the best and safest, but there are still sometimes recalls and we all know babies who can’t tolerate various formulas on the market. Fact is, processed foods are often things we can make at home but we either can’t be bothered or don’t know how. Formula is a processed food.

Parents will generally decide to do what makes sense to them. Feeding children is often a case of try and see what works.

As for the raw milk fear, breast milk is raw 😉. Raw milk was the norm for a good long time in human history. Doesn’t mean it’s all safe, but I wouldn’t be overly scared of it.

readreread

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 1:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!
Know if it had any form of kosher certification?

Holle is kosher in the UK. Hipp is kosher in certain countries too, as is Bubs. So it depends on your LOR's perspective. My MO rabbi gave me a heter just to make me feel more comfortable.

Bobbie is kosher.

The problem is when your baby doesn't tolerate certain formulas and then you have to switch around...

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 2:12 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

No one is saying to starve a baby Chas v shalom.

If you want to breastfeed and are having issues, baby is jaundice, not having wet diapers - obviously you must give your baby formula.

However - if you are giving formula and not pumping - your supply won’t come in. And this is where a lot of women get confused that they have no milk and need to give formula. Continual pumping, adequate fluids and nutrition is how to get your milk to come in if mom wants to breastfeed. And that can be done while giving formula if a mom wants to nurse.

This is also why it’s very important to have a competent LC who can assess if your baby is getting milk when latching. My baby wasn’t getting anything for 3 days and I had no idea she wasn’t latched because it was my first. BH I had an LC come in and was able to EBF once we figured it out.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 2:21 pm
Also, all my babies acted starving mainly on their second day of life. I nursed and nursed and nursed and nursed... no it really wasn't easy. I could barely rest. My babies were all big and HUNGRY. But that's the teva. Stimulate the mother so her milk comes in faster.

(Obviously, wet diapers and not losing weight dramatically!!! For that, supplement no question.)

giftedmom  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 2:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Looking to have a backup for post birth, in case I need. I would like to avoid it, but the mainstream formula is not an option (FOR ME!)
Which ones have you used and were happy with?

Many crunchy moms who have the means order from Europe. There are cleaner more organic options from there.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 2:24 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
Lol. Formula is called formula because pediatricians used to be trained to evaluate babies’ individual nutritional needs and would give parents customized formulas (recipes) to make at home. This art is lost, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, in the US, formulas must contain corn syrup (which is otherwise recommended against for infants) and generally contains highly processed oils in order to contain the proper levels of carbs and fats. Quality of nutrition does matter, and while I did formula-feed one child out of necessity, I would have loved to have a recipe to make at home instead of what I used. Formula companies have spent decades creating an impression that their products are the best and safest, but there are still sometimes recalls and we all know babies who can’t tolerate various formulas on the market. Fact is, processed foods are often things we can make at home but we either can’t be bothered or don’t know how. Formula is a processed food.

Parents will generally decide to do what makes sense to them. Feeding children is often a case of try and see what works.

As for the raw milk fear, breast milk is raw 😉. Raw milk was the norm for a good long time in human history. Doesn’t mean it’s all safe, but I wouldn’t be overly scared of it.

Are you really comparing us to cows? Cows have diseases that humans don’t have. We have the antibodies our babies need… not to mention they get our milk straight from the breast. Cmon

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 2:38 pm
In bio shops I see goat, and (treif!) horse

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 2:40 pm
If you are dry, get in touch with a lactation consultant and get pumped milk from a gemach until your supply comes in.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:10 pm
I am currently using hipp dutch formula from Europe. It's extremely clean and very well tolerated by my colicky baby.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding