Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Crunchy moms- what baby formula have you used?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:20 pm
Looking to have a backup for post birth, in case I need. I would like to avoid it, but the mainstream formula is not an option (FOR ME!)
Which ones have you used and were happy with?

amother
Pansy  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:21 pm
Donor milk. Or pump before birth.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:22 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Donor milk. Or pump before birth.

I wish. I am completely dry!

peachmommy

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:23 pm
Goat milk is supposed to compare to breast milk

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:25 pm
Any specific reason you're expecting to need formula? Hipp and Holle are considered the cleanest out there. Nature's own is also not too bad. But I'd sooner line up a good lactation consultant

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:32 pm
What is a crunchy mom?

amother
Violet  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:36 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
What is a crunchy mom?

I looked it up.
Here’s from google.

The term crunchy mom is typically used to describe a mother or female caregiver who typically follows a natural lifestyle and incorporates it into their parenting. A crunchy mom attempts to avoid modern medicine, limits reliance on technology, and eats only organic foods.

Sebastian

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 3:44 pm
I liked kendamil. european formulas are also good. theres also an organic option

amother
Fern  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 4:00 pm
peachmommy wrote:
Goat milk is supposed to compare to breast milk

Goat milk does not have the necessary nutrients that a baby needs to develop.

Holle is goats milk formula and kosher in UK - try to get that

amother
  Pansy  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 4:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wish. I am completely dry!

So donor. All the major Jewish cities have a gemach. If you're just worried until your milk comes in, you only need a few ounces.

amother
  Violet  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 4:04 pm
amother Fern wrote:
Goat milk does not have the necessary nutrients that a baby needs to develop.

Holle is goats milk formula and kosher in UK - try to get that

My DH had goat milk as a baby so did all his siblings. His father used to own goats.

amother
  Fern  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 4:15 pm
amother Violet wrote:
My DH had goat milk as a baby so did all his siblings. His father used to own goats.

It’s not harmful to baby’s (like cows milk) but it’s missing the nutrients that breast milk/formula provide that is necessary for a baby under 12 months

amother
  Violet  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 4:22 pm
amother Fern wrote:
It’s not harmful to baby’s (like cows milk) but it’s missing the nutrients that breast milk/formula provide that is necessary for a baby under 12 months

Correct. FIL offered to milk goats so my kids could have milk as babies and not formula.
Not my thing.

mummiedearest  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 4:30 pm
I’ve used Aussie Bubs Goat formula. I don’t think it’s perfect, but the ingredients seem mostly cleaner than American brands.

amother
Starflower

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 4:58 pm
Formula is not natural. Period. Nothing wrong with formula at all but it’s not natural. Once you are doing formula just pick whatever your kid can handle. Goat milk may be natural but it’s not a substitute for formula or breast milk.

amother
  Violet

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 4:58 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
Formula is not natural. Period. Nothing wrong with formula at all but it’s not natural. Once you are doing formula just pick whatever your kid can handle. Goat milk may be natural but it’s not a substitute for formula or breast milk.

Exactly. Especially since it’s not pasteurized.

rose613  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 5:00 pm
Is this your first?

The most important thing is to nurse and pump exclusively in order to get your supply up.

Once you start supplementing with formula and nursing/pumping less - your body doesn’t think it’s needs to produce as much.

Many women get scared the first few few days and start supplementing with formula - which creates a vicious cycle where their body is not creating enough milk to meet their baby’s hunger and therefore they believe “they dont have enough milk.”

It can take two days of pumping every 3 hours to get your supply to ramp up.

Speaking from experience - I pumped exclusively for a few weeks while my premature dc was in the nicu and was able to establish a supply (the nicu give dc my milk and bH I built a freezer stash) and then transfer to EBF once baby was physically able to.

Last edited by rose613 on Fri, Jun 14 2024, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

rose613

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 5:02 pm
Also echoing others. Esp if this is your first, or first attempt to nurse , book a GOOD lactation consultant now to make sure baby is latched properly within a day or two of discharge

smss  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 5:02 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
So donor. All the major Jewish cities have a gemach. If you're just worried until your milk comes in, you only need a few ounces.

Totally normal to not be able to pump anything before giving birth and doesn't mean you'll have issues after.

Before your milk comes in, you'll produce colostrum which is everything your baby needs for those first few days. Newborns have tiny tiny stomachs and colostrum is incredibly nutrient dense!

amother
  Fern

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 5:06 pm
smss wrote:
Totally normal to not be able to pump anything before giving birth and doesn't mean you'll have issues after.

Before your milk comes in, you'll produce colostrum which is everything your baby needs for those first few days. Newborns have tiny tiny stomachs and colostrum is incredibly nutrient dense!

My baby was hungry after nursing and I needed to supplement, I regretted not saving colostrum from before I gave birth.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding