Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Non-Jewish camp, chizzuk needed
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 1:34 pm
My DS, age 8 is going to a non-Jewish camp this summer. We had no other choice, it was the only place we can afford. The next cheapest option would be hundreds of dollars more PER WEEK. He can't stay home, I have to work. We live in a large city in the US, I'm really worried about anti-semitism. He has plenty of exposure to the outside world, I'm not worried about him learning about things he doesn't already know, he knows not to eat anything. I really could use some chizzuk, please. We've tried every possible avenue we could think of and pre-Oct 7 it probably would have been fine.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 1:44 pm
I am not saying this to criticize you, but simply to ask the question. Is there a Chabad camp near you? Would you consider reaching out to them and telling them that a non Jewish camp is your only affordable option? Otherwise, I with all sincerity wish you luck. Chances are that he will be fine. Do you think there are any things you need to prepare him for? Does he have any non Jewish friends? Will he know anyone there?

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 1:47 pm
It’s really such an important part of your childhood- try to look for Jewish options there are funds for this try speaking to Oorah and other kiruv organizations they’ll take care of it

Totally understand it’s really pricey I keep them home instead of exposing them to non jews but if you’re interested in a Jewish camp say your planning on sending to a non Jewish they’ll match the price I’m sure of it!!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 1:50 pm
I've been to non J camp. Food was a problem because it was cold and or salads, bought stuff on the list... And shabbat I couldn't participate to many things. It's not so fun. And a different time. Also if you're entirely kosher and want a dipped cutlery, well.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 1:52 pm
Depending on where you live and the demographic in the camp, I'd actually be more worried about secular influences/halachic concerns than about anti-Semitism for a 8yo.
Do you mind sharing your location? Maybe someone has an idea for you?

Also, is this a full day camp schedule where they eat lunch, etc? I grew up oot and attended many non Jewish run programs in the summer, but they were usually a 2-3 hour program. If I would have had to eat lunch with them, I would have felt crazy uncomfortable.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 2:10 pm
I imagine this is day camp, not sleep away.

He will be fine. I imagine everyone will brown bag lunch anyway.
However, I would give one last ditch effort and call all the Jewish camps and say this non Jewish camp is $x. I know you are much better and therefore more expensive, but I just don’t have the money. I can’t pay what I don’t have. Is there anyway you can meet that price and add him to a bunk. I will not tell anyone so as to not lower your price. I truly appreciate if you could include my son and enable him to be in a Torah environment this summer.
You never know what they will say.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 2:13 pm
My kids go to city run camps every year because they are a lot more affordable. We have never had any issues. We are fortunate that we live in a very Jewish area and there are tons of Jewish kids who attend. I have three kids attending this summer. We send our own food and the camp is super strict about no sharing food due to allergies. We have never had any issues BH.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 3:05 pm
So sad

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 3:08 pm
Teaching him to deal with antisemitism is a life skill. Strengthen yourself in the understanding of what it means to be the chosen nation and give it over to your child.

You can teach him to be discreet but still proud of who he is. To appreciate being Jewish in the context of diversity. To love himself and his people.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 3:38 pm
8 is too much young to have to be militant or something

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 3:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
My DS, age 8 is going to a non-Jewish camp this summer. We had no other choice, it was the only place we can afford. The next cheapest option would be hundreds of dollars more PER WEEK. He can't stay home, I have to work. We live in a large city in the US, I'm really worried about anti-semitism. He has plenty of exposure to the outside world, I'm not worried about him learning about things he doesn't already know, he knows not to eat anything. I really could use some chizzuk, please. We've tried every possible avenue we could think of and pre-Oct 7 it probably would have been fine.

I’d sooner keep my child home than send to a non Jewish camp. That is a disaster waiting to happen, on so many levels. Please reconsider and do whatever you have to do to not proceed with that plan.

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 3:40 pm
Can he get into oorah

Beautiful

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 3:42 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Can he get into oorah

Came here to say this. OP I googled the number for you it is 866.843.9663. Please reach out to them!

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 3:52 pm
Theres no tone here so please take this in the spirit intended. 8 year olds are not really known for having a high level of self control. You’re going to have to assume he will eat something that isn't kosher if every other kid is. Sticking out is hard for a kid this age.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 4:09 pm
I think many people are coming to this tone deaf because we would sooner sell our second kidney than put our kids in non jewish camp. Im not sure imamother is the right place to get the chizzuk you are looking for. What can a bunch of mainstream frum women tell you to feel better if most of us view this as a non starter? You will get much more support from Jewish people who send to public schools or traditional but not orthodox schools or are not religious but identify strongly with jewish culture etc. There may be a few people here like that but not enough to counteract.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 4:13 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Theres no tone here so please take this in the spirit intended. 8 year olds are not really known for having a high level of self control. You’re going to have to assume he will eat something that isn't kosher if every other kid is. Sticking out is hard for a kid this age.

Exactly, and I would add that they are very impressionable, and also very vulnerable to peer pressure. Thinking and feeling confident that an 8 yr old “knows not to” do whatever, is not something to rely on.

There’s so much that can go wrong in such an environment. It should be avoided at all costs, literally.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 4:13 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
I think many people are coming to this tone deaf because we would sooner sell our second kidney than put our kids in non jewish camp. Im not sure imamother is the right place to get the chizzuk you are looking for. What can a bunch of mainstream frum women tell you to feel better if most of us view this as a non starter? You will get much more support from Jewish people who send to public schools or traditional but not orthodox schools or are not religious but identify strongly with jewish culture etc. There may be a few people here like that but not enough to counteract.

All true.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 4:56 pm
amother OP wrote:

DH has two grandsons and the oldest was in a non-Jewish summer day camp last summer. 12 years old at that time.
Divorced parents and there was no money for a Jewish camp.
Young Israel type and live in NJ.
DH was kind of upset but I told him not to get worked up about it. It's not in our hands.
You are not alone.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 5:00 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Exactly, and I would add that they are very impressionable, and also very vulnerable to peer pressure. Thinking and feeling confident that an 8 yr old “knows not to” do whatever, is not something to rely on.

There’s so much that can go wrong in such an environment. It should be avoided at all costs, literally.

So what is your solution? Go fund me?

tichellady

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 5:30 pm
Most kids in my community go to non Jewish summer camp and are happy and fine
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps