Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Cream cheese in Israel
Previous  1  2

LovesHashem  

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 5:38 pm
spikta wrote:
PSA: Buy Gvinat shamenet Tivit (30% fat) at the cheese counter for half the price of any other option!
The regular price for gvinat shamenet it's ~34 shekels a kilo. A container of of Napolean is usually ~16 shekels and it's 225 grams which comes out to over 70 shekels a kilo. Napolean and supermarket brand gvinat shamenet often go on sale for shavuot, but so does the gvinat shamenet at the chees counter. I just got some at Rami levi for 19 shekels a kilo! That's the equivalent of over 4 blocks of cream cheese for 19 shekels! It's cheaper than buying 15% shamenet and making it yourself!

Rami Levy always makes me feel like an idiot for checking the hashgachos lately. Their workers never have patience.

amother
Brickred  

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 1:20 am
There's also this brand, cheaper than napolean. I've seen it in the more mehadrin big supermarkets. A while back I did the math and making cream cheese from shamenet does not save money, by weight, once you lose all the liquid.

LovesHashem  

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 1:25 am
amother Brickred wrote:
There's also this brand, cheaper than napolean. I've seen it in the more mehadrin big supermarkets. A while back I did the math and making cream cheese from shamenet does not save money, by weight.

Well this brand does not have the really consistentensy or taste of cream cheese. It also has a weird aftertaste IMHO.

amother
  Brickred

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 4:06 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Well this brand does not have the really consistentensy or taste of cream cheese. It also has a weird aftertaste IMHO.

Really? tastes great to me, and I am used to Napoleon. Maybe very slightly less rich, but very creamy and my cheesecake turns out perfect with it. The type I really don't like is the one bulk sold in the large tubs which is sort of shiny and firm. That an obviously the lower fat ones in smaller tubs. Although I've never tried American cream cheese, I am from England.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 5:06 am
amother Brickred wrote:
Really? tastes great to me, and I am used to Napoleon. Maybe very slightly less rich, but very creamy and my cheesecake turns out perfect with it. The type I really don't like is the one bulk sold in the large tubs which is sort of shiny and firm. That an obviously the lower fat ones in smaller tubs. Although I've never tried American cream cheese, I am from England.

Oh for cheesecake I'd use it if it's cheaper I doubt when it's mixed and baked and all that there's a huge difference.

I'm talking about if I want cream cheese to spread on bread and bagels. I just made some last night. Since I starting making homemade (like most things) I can't go back, obviously homemade tastes better.

Whether it's BBQ sauce, spicy mayo, or cream cheese homemade is usually cheaper and tastes so much better and you know exactly what's being put into it. We make pickles and Herring too.

holylandgirl

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 6:26 am
I used tuv taam in at recipe that said block cream cheese, it didn't come out looking great. Have I made a mistake?

essie14

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 7:38 am
holylandgirl wrote:
I used tuv taam in at recipe that said block cream cheese, it didn't come out looking great. Have I made a mistake?

Tuv taam is not cream cheese, it's farmer cheese. It has a different consistency.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics